1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 20:18
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    You know that Tony Blair recently became a catholic. He said that he hadn't before because people would start thinking of him as a 'nutter'.

I'm not sure how relevant that is really - his political judgement was the thing that was being looked at rather more closely. He made a statement later in his career that he felt that god would be his judge. ...[text shortened]... ad as some. At least at the moment he is trying to tiptoe round the more extreme positions.
    He's Southern Baptist minister; his whole platform is completely embracing the RR. The guy is a walking extreme position.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 02:532 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    He is 35 years old and a US citizen. I think that is the only requirement.
    Gotta be born here I think. That's why we don't have someone running for Presidentator.
  3. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 13:53
    Originally posted by telerion
    He's Southern Baptist minister; his whole platform is completely embracing the RR. The guy is a walking extreme position.
    oops. he sounded in the clip as if he was choosing his words carefully... I thought these people had to get the support of 'God fearing' people just to become president anyway at the moment.

Also don't several states legislate in favour of people who believe in god?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 10:24
    How so?
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 10:39
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I don't see how someone who still believes in fairy tales can be eligible to run a country.
    Here in the colonies we obviously believe that intelligence and common sense have nothing to do with running a country. Example: George Bush
    {Don't blame me, I voted against him when he ran for governor and president.}
    Creationists are fools.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 11:14
    oops. he sounded in the clip as if he was choosing his words carefully... I thought these people had to get the support of 'God fearing' people just to become president anyway at the moment.

You would need to check these out, but I understand these to be the case at the moment. I suppose a belief in the FSM would cover it though.

Arkansas Constitution
    Article X1X, Sec
    No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court.

Maryland
    Article 37
    no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God

Pennsylvania
    Article 1, Sec 4
    No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust under this Commonwealth.

Tennessee
    Article 1X, Sec 2
    No Atheist shall hold a civil office
    No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Also South Carolina, North Carolina and Texas have similar rules....
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 11:151 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    How so?
    see above...

I thought the first was interesting, does that mean that belief is a prerequisite for being a witness. The implication is that reality is determined by perception?? no?
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '07
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 11:451 edit
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/26611/Some-Americans-Reluctant-Vote-Mormon-72YearOld-Presidential-Candidates.aspx

Some have you have probably seen this before put I thought it was interesting. Americans just don't like atheism it seems.

Edit: - Of course I should just add that the ideal result should be that none of these should really should make a difference. Well, except maybe the religious ones 🙂 You can't vote for someone who thinks the world is but 6000 years old. Thats ridiculus.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 11:561 edit
    You would need to check these out, but I understand these to be the case at the moment. I suppose a belief in the FSM would cover it though.

Arkansas Constitution
    Article X1X, Sec
    No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court.

Maryla ...[text shortened]... epartment of this state.

nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court.

That's AWESOME! I can be a party to crime and nobody can ask me what happened in a court of law!

So there's a bias against atheists in the law there. That won't stand up to challenge I bet.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 12:011 edit

Arkansas Constitution
    Article X1X, Sec

None of those states, interestingly, has a particularly intelligent populace. Pennsylvania's the only one in the top 50%, she's 21 out of 50. And no, I am not referring to the hoax statistics about states and IQ. I'm referring to legitimate statistics about states and IQ:

[i]http://www.zombietime.com/iq_of_2004_voters_by_state/
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 15:01

Arkansas Constitution
    Article X1X, Sec

Aren't they unconstitutional, under separation of church and state laws?
  12. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 15:31
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Aren't they unconstitutional, under separation of church and state laws?
    read it and weep.

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/data/constitution/ArkansasConstitution1874.pdf

Preamble.
    We, the People of the State of Arkansas, grateful to Almighty God for the privilege of choosing our own form of government; for our civil and religious liberty; and desiring to perpetuate its blessings, and secure the same to our selves and posterity; do ordain and establish this Constitution.

24. Religious liberty.
    All men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences; no man can, of right, be compelled to attend, erect, or support any place of worship; or to maintain any ministry against his consent. No human authority can, in any case or manner whatsoever, control or interfere with the right of conscience; and no preference shall ever be given, by law, to any religious establishment, denomination or mode of worship, above any other.

Article 19.
    Miscellaneous Provisions.
    1. Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.
    No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

....but it don't make it so...
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 19:243 edits
    Originally posted by abnoxio
    It seems that Mike Huckabee (the name "Huckabee" should disqualify him from the start) doesn't believe in evolution, at least not "macro-evolution" whatever the hell that means. I'm a die hard conservative, but I'm going to have a hard time voting for someone who has so much contempt for science.
    Is it a contempt for science or a tactic to gain the support of evangelicals? You know Bush road the evangelicals into the White House, why not the Huckster?

To be honest I think the Dems are hoping and praying, (LOL) that Huckabee wins the nomination. They will then deride him as you are doing as a religious nutcase.

BTW: Not all evangelicals think evolution is not based in science, including myself. Granted, most have been conditioned to make the choice between God or evolutionary based science, but they are not mutually exclusive no matter their bantering. It's just ignorance really about science and the scriptures in my opinion that drives these misguided theologies.
  14. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    13 Jan '08 20:03
    Would you vote for a Creationist for president?

absolutely, one has nothing to do with the other
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    14 Jan '08 16:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    There are two possibilites of coarse. One is that he truly believe what he says and the other is that he is saying these things to court the religious right. In the end a politician does what is politically expedient to get elected, whatever they percieve that to be. It is much like Bush who told people that he was going to get elected via the religious ri ...[text shortened]... they will say something to the effect that we need to raise taxes to help the poor etc, etc.
    Quite correct. Huckabee knows the first rule of politics (which Bill Maher seems to be ignorant of): "Don't lead with your chin."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree