1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 16:30
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    On the contrary, I'd think if it seems totally at odds with your own experiences (and the subject is important to you) you'd become [b]more interested to find out just what the hell the author is talking about.

Next to that, Suzianne jumps to unwarranted conclusions and seems to have started from a biased supposition thus doing exactly that which she accuses the author(s) of doing.[/b]
    Trouble is, any chucklehead can put up a website, and write whatever they want on it. I need some screening process to save me from wasting time on BS.

If an article challenges my views and experiences in a way that makes me think "Hmm...interesting. I had not considered the issue from that angle before." then I will probably read further. But if it just sounds like tripe, sorry, as un-egalatarian as that sounds, I'm not wasting any more time on it.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 17:06
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Trouble is, any chucklehead can put up a website, and write whatever they want on it. I need some screening process to save me from wasting time on BS.

If an article challenges my views and experiences in a way that makes me think "Hmm...interesting. I had not considered the issue from that angle before." then I will probably read further. But if it j ...[text shortened]... sounds like tripe, sorry, as un-egalatarian as that sounds, I'm not wasting any more time on it.
    Fair enough, don't want to drag it out ;-)

As far as the list is concerned: I notice Prometheus is on there. That's certainly an R-movie where R stands for Rubbish. Gawd, that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 17:08
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Not only watching movies, but Television, news, etc., will weaken a Christians faith.
    It is contrary to what God says, it dishes out fears in buckets, and a Christian should watch very little of the garbage that comes across the TV and the theater.

As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. Why fill the mind with fear and doubt?
    Yes, better not expose yourself to anything that might make you doubt. Doubt is bad.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 17:27
    Not only watching movies, but Television, news, etc., will weaken a Christians faith.
    It is contrary to what God says, it dishes out fears in buckets, and a Christian should watch very little of the garbage that comes across the TV and the theater.

If one's faith is weakened by subsisting in this world, then what of the coming Tribulation? Do you have no hope of "enduring to the end"?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 17:31
    You're not really criticizing this research on nothing but your own experience, are you??
    Through my own experience, I can certainly come to the conclusion that not only do R-rated movies have nothing to do with faith, but that if these people supplying data in this person's research had their faith undermined by R-rated movies, then their faith must have been weak indeed to begin with. Perhaps he needs a better control group.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 17:33
    Fair enough, don't want to drag it out ;-)

As far as the list is concerned: I notice Prometheus is on there. That's certainly an R-movie where R stands for Rubbish. Gawd, that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
    That figures.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 17:46
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That figures.
    What figures?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 18:08
    If one's faith is weakened by subsisting in this world, then what of the coming Tribulation? Do you have no hope of "enduring to the end"?
    Let me try and make this simple. Jesus commands me to renew my mind. I am to think on things that are lovely, things of good report, etc.
    I am to believe that by his stripes I am healed, I am the righteousness of God in Christ.
    How do you suppose confessing or agreeing with what God says, going to flourish by watching the negative junk of the world that is constantly feeding your mind with things that are contrary?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 18:15
    Let me try and make this simple. Jesus commands me to renew my mind. I am to think on things that are lovely, things of good report, etc.
    I am to believe that by his stripes I am healed, I am the righteousness of God in Christ.
    How do you suppose confessing or agreeing with what God says, going to flourish by watching the negative junk of the world that is constantly feeding your mind with things that are contrary?
    Things of this world are of this world. They have absolutely zero to do with my faith. If you let the world dictate the direction or 'velocity' of your faith, then it is like allowing your faith to blow with the wind. I have the faith of the mustard seed, unshakable, rooted in good earth, the wind and the rain affect it not. How less so the affairs of man?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 21:15
    Things of this world are of this world. They have absolutely zero to do with my faith. If you let the world dictate the direction or 'velocity' of your faith, then it is like allowing your faith to blow with the wind. I have the faith of the mustard seed, unshakable, rooted in good earth, the wind and the rain affect it not. How less so the affairs of man?
    Let me ask you this. Do you believe that by his stripes you were healed?
    Or do you believe what the doctor says?
    Either God's word is true or it is not.
    I submit that most Christians when sick, first go to the doctor instead of the Lord.
    Why? Because they do not have faith to get healed. They will pray and when it doesn't work, they will say it is God's will or else they would be healed.
    I have always thought this way and just gone to the doctor. Now my thinking is changing.
    I have pondered the fact that either God is telling the truth or he is not.
    The bible also says, "above all else I would that you prosper and be in health" 3rd John I believe...
    My point being that what we feed our minds determines our every day "faith" or believing. You cannot just turn faith on and off like a light switch, it takes time and study and constant prayer (communication) to develop a relationship with God and the Lord Jesus.
    Television, Hollywood, work in direct opposition to our faith in what God says. Remember that the whole world is under the "sway", "influence" or "control" of the wicked one.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 07:35
    Let me ask you this. Do you believe that by his stripes you were healed?
    Or do you believe what the doctor says?
    Either God's word is true or it is not.
    I submit that most Christians when sick, first go to the doctor instead of the Lord.
    Why? Because they do not have faith to get healed. They will pray and when it doesn't work, they will say it is Go ...[text shortened]... . Remember that the whole world is under the "sway", "influence" or "control" of the wicked one.
    Many of your conflicts seem manufactured. Perhaps it was by his stripes that the Polio vaccine was invented. Consider that God, if he existed as such, could use many means of healing, including doctors. Consider that God has more than one word and it was given to us by dictation, and things could have been lost in translation and in the minds of those who recorded the words. There are degrees of truth other than 100% and 0%.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 07:41
    Many of your conflicts seem manufactured. Perhaps it was by his stripes that the Polio vaccine was invented. Consider that God, if he existed as such, could use many means of healing, including doctors. Consider that God has more than one word and it was given to us by dictation, and things could have been lost in translation and in the minds of those who recorded the words. There are degrees of truth other than 100% and 0%.
    So tell me why some god or other would be interested in healing a few people like in the stories but not interested in healing the hundred million or so people hurt or killed in the wars and pogroms of the last 200 years?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 07:56
    Belief in god increases with age:

http://news.uchicago.edu/article/2012/04/18/belief-god-rises-age-even-atheist-nations

Sonhouse you should be a world wide evangelist by now.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 10:45
    I agree that God can use doctors or any means he chooses, my point is renewed mind and when an ultimatum comes, what do we rely on?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 11:123 edits

you may have a point, although to an extent it depends upon to what degree the news has been propagandized. Here is some of the Bibles guiding principles which are applicable to entertainment,

(Philippians 4:8, 9) Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things are chaste, whatever things are lovable, whatever things are well spoken of, whatever virtue there is and whatever praiseworthy thing there is, continue considering these things. The things that you learned as well as accepted and heard and saw in connection with me, practice these; and the God of peace will be with you.

we are, after all, a product of what we consume with our minds and I think its been established that continuous eating of junk food is seriously detrimental to ones health.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree