1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 13:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you may have a point, although to an extent it depends upon to what degree the news has been propagandized. Here is some of the Bibles guiding principles which are applicable to entertainment,

(Philippians 4:8, 9) Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are of serious concern, whatever things are righteous, whatever things a ...[text shortened]... ts been established that continuous eating of junk food is seriously detrimental to ones health.
    yes, physical and spiritual health. Also Colossians 3:1
  2. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 13:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2013-10-r-rated-movies-lessens-importance-faith.html

So there is a positive side to r rated movies after all!
    funniest movie I know, 'American Pie, American Wedding'. Don't watch it with kids.
  3. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 13:551 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I've seen 67 of the movies on this list (actually I counted 33 I did not see), and not only is my faith extremely important to me but I can also say that whether or not I watch an R-rated movie has nothing to do with my faith, or my perception of it. It seems that whoever did this research not only jumped to some conclusions that do not seem altogether war ...[text shortened]... e article somewhat at odds with each other, meaning I find very little correlation between them.
    right on sister. As for us adults go. Basically, having a mature mental disorder called 'adulthood with a twist'.

It would be unhealthy for the younger crowd, or even some of our nieve bretheren (and sisters).
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 14:35
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Let me ask you this. Do you believe that by his stripes you were healed?
    Or do you believe what the doctor says?
    Either God's word is true or it is not.
    I submit that most Christians when sick, first go to the doctor instead of the Lord.
    Why? Because they do not have faith to get healed. They will pray and when it doesn't work, they will say it is Go ...[text shortened]... . Remember that the whole world is under the "sway", "influence" or "control" of the wicked one.
    Oh, good grief.

You sound like all the other mindless, clone "Christians" out there.

"Either God's word is true or it is not."

What a ridiculous statement. Of course God's word is true. The sticking point is your definition of what is true or not. One simple sentence could be taken many different ways. The goal here is to grow closer to God so that you take His meaning instead of insisting that He took yours in the first place.

How many times have you heard a creationist say "God doesn't lie!!!" Well, this is true. What is not true is what the creationist thinks is the truth, which may not be what God is saying at all, i.e. these people who claim the Bible says the earth is only 6,000 years old. They say "do you believe the Bible or not?" Except that no, the Bible does NOT say that.

With this in mind, let's re-examine your question. You said, "Let me ask you this. Do you believe that by his stripes you were healed? Or do you believe what the doctor says?" Basically, you're asking if I believe God or my doctor. As if only one of them is telling the truth. You are pre-supposing that God meant physically healed, as a wound is healed. I contend He meant 'spiritually healed'. Thus, what the doctor says about it matters not. And yet, since the verse is not talking about physical healing, yes, I'll listen to what my doctor says about that, thank you very much.

Lastly, do not preach to me. Especially if you believe that worldly matters, such as television's influence or what Hollywood thinks, have any bearing on my faith at all. You are pre-judging me if you think my faith is swayed by watching a movie. This leads me to think maybe your faith is weak if you think faith is so malleable that it can be molded this way.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 16:11
    I agree that God can use doctors or any means he chooses, my point is renewed mind and when an ultimatum comes, what do we rely on?
    How would an ultimatum come? If you're sick, would you not try all means of treatment at your disposal? Why do you have to pick only one thing to rely on?
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 16:13
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So tell me why some god or other would be interested in healing a few people like in the stories but not interested in healing the hundred million or so people hurt or killed in the wars and pogroms of the last 200 years?
    The healings were necessary for his purpose, or he liked those people. The ones he didn't help - not so much. Also, he likes giving people free will and a consequence of that is that they can do bad shtuff to other people.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 22:28
    Oh, good grief.

You sound like all the other mindless, clone "Christians" out there.

"Either God's word is true or it is not."

What a ridiculous statement. Of course God's word is true. The sticking point is your definition of what is true or not. One simple sentence could be taken many different ways. The goal here is to grow closer to ...[text shortened]... hink maybe your faith is weak if you think faith is so malleable that it can be molded this way.
    Lastly, do not preach to me.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was "preaching" to you, not my intention, even though I don't mind being preached to. In any event, I apologize nevertheless.

Especially if you believe that worldly matters, such as television's influence or what Hollywood thinks, have any bearing on my faith at all.

I could not listen to a daily barrage of negative news, i.e., high taxes, socialized medicine, gay marriage, government corruption, imminent economic disaster,etc., and not having it provoke fear and worry in my mind.
    Not to mention from Hollywood, fornication, adultery (and call it romance), murder, robbery, natural disasters, etc., and not let it affect my mind either conscientiously or subconsciously. Perhaps someday if my faith is as strong as yours.
    Yes, perhaps my faith is weak, so I take care to guard my heart and feed it God's word rather than the junk of the world.
    Again, I apologize if any offense was taken....Peace.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 22:43

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was "preaching" to you, not my intention, even though I don't mind being preached to. In any event, I apologize nevertheless.

[quote] Especially if you believe that worldly matters, such as television's influence or what Hollywood thinks, have any bearing on my faith at all. [/ ...[text shortened]... s word rather than the junk of the world.
    I know what you mean, though. That's why I responded initially as I did. These worrisome things in the daily news... well, let's just say that one day we'll look back on these days fondly and wish things were like this again. We ain't seen nothing yet. The coming Tribulation will test the most faithful of souls. Many will succumb and lose their salvation. The test is indeed to "endure to the end". The Tribulation will later be known as "the Time of Martyrs". Gird your loins now, my brother, for there are worse times ahead. We must keep our eyes further ahead to the coming Kingdom of God.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 13:35
    I know what you mean, though. That's why I responded initially as I did. These worrisome things in the daily news... well, let's just say that one day we'll look back on these days fondly and wish things were like this again. We ain't seen nothing yet. The coming Tribulation will test the most faithful of souls. Many will succumb and lose their salvati ...[text shortened]... there are worse times ahead. We must keep our eyes further ahead to the coming Kingdom of God.
    Well, what you say is true according to the bible. But the bible also says that if I make my bed in hell, God is with me. He will never leave me nor forsake me, he will meet all my needs according to his riches in Christ Jesus, and he is faithful to his word.

So then, I would rather fill mind with these things...๐Ÿ™‚
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 13:381 edit

[quote] Especially if you believe that worldly matters, such as television's influence or what Hollywood thinks, have any bearing on my faith at all. [/ ...[text shortened]... s word rather than the junk of the world.
    you should preach to her, she needs every scrap of scripture she can get! I would just like to say that you should watch at least the news or better still, read a quality newspaper, it demonstrates the fulfillment of Bible prophecy.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Nov '13 14:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you should preach to her, she needs every scrap of scripture she can get! I would just like to say that you should watch at least the news or better still, read a quality newspaper, it demonstrates the fulfillment of Bible prophecy.
    I know very well what is going on. I watched the news religiously until I got depressed watching all the doom and gloom. Now I watch it sparingly, just enough to be aware.
    The more I feed my mind the news and the worlds problems, the smaller God becomes. So I have to get away from it and fill my mind with scripture and then see the reality of how much bigger God is, like how Caleb and Joshua saw God. God is not surprised, nor worried by what is happening.

Many of us limit God by what we feed our minds, that is all I am saying here.
    Some people say their faith cannot be swayed, but I am not speaking of faith , as in God exists, I am speaking of every day faith to believe what God has promised, like healing, meeting needs, hearing from him, etc.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 18:523 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Have you only seen three of the films on this list, Robbie? That's a shame. Many great movies here, I think.

1 The Passion of the Christ
    2 The Matrix Reloaded
    3 The Hangover
    4 The Hangover Part II
    5 Beverly Hills Cop
    6 The Exorcist
    7 Ted
    8 Saving Private Ryan
    9 300
    10 Wedding Crashers
    11 Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    12 Gladiato ...[text shortened]...
    97 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    98 A Time to Kill
    99 Black Hawk Down
    100 Pulp Fiction
    Fight Club
    Reservoir Dogs
    Kill Bill 1
    Chopper
    Boogie Nights
    (all 5 star films in my book too ! )

edit: of course I'm a lot like Michael de Santa/Towney in reality - before he came out of retirement

I like the comment made by the actor in Fightclub how it got its rating from the themes that went with it, not the violence. It's very revealing to me that comment.
    -----------------------------------------
    Also nice to see Australia finally develop a better rating system for games where we now have R-rated games and games that are RE (Refused clasification ๐Ÿ™„ ). So now I can enjoy the highest grossing game of all time, GTA5 without any of it being cut as San Andreas was.

I consider myself deeply spiritual but I can see why others may not see that straight away as I deeply resonate with the ever controversial , one beer short of a six pack character in GTA5, Trevor Phillips. (Perhaps even playing games is seen as unspiritual by some.. now that's like anything now isn't . Like a gun for example, you could do a bit of good in this world with one, without even firing it anyone ๐Ÿ™‚, or you could cause a great deal of misery. )
    Of course I have a young child in my full custody so I couldn't really act like Trevor from GTA5, but if I was free from family I think I'd be a bit like him. Not the same but similar.
    edit:In reality I'm more like Michael Towney/de Santa before he came out of retirement๐Ÿ˜ž
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 19:10
    LOL, please explain in what way you would be similar to Trevor. That's quite a character you picked there to compare yourself with. He was a lot of fun to play as, though. I loved how you would find yourself in all kinds of weird situations when switching from Franklin or Michael to Trevor. Like being chased by cops, or on top of a mountain in nothing but your underwear :-)
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 19:13
    I've seen 67 of the movies on this list (actually I counted 33 I did not see), and not only is my faith extremely important to me but I can also say that whether or not I watch an R-rated movie has nothing to do with my faith, or my perception of it. It seems that whoever did this research not only jumped to some conclusions that do not seem altogether war ...[text shortened]... e article somewhat at odds with each other, meaning I find very little correlation between them.
    I've seen 59 on that list. At least ten I'll pass on. But there's a few on my 'to watch' list there too.

Funnily enough I remember at least 50% of those movies with an Ma rating here in Australia. Our rating system sucks. Everything is cut to ribbons it seems.... and no that's not good for spirituality. Things should be told as they are if the director/writer desires to deliver a clear story.
    An 18+ audience should be given the proper version, not the watered down version. It's an insult to every Australian's intelligence.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 19:193 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    LOL, please explain in what way you would be similar to Trevor. That's quite a character you picked there to compare yourself with. He was a lot of fun to play as, though. I loved how you would find yourself in all kinds of weird situations when switching from Franklin or Michael to Trevor. Like being chased by cops, or on top of a mountain in nothing but your underwear :-)
    No fear of death.
    His own sense of justice based on what he sees and not what others tell him.
    Confronting, verbally and physically
    seemingly schizophrenic with a method to his madness.

I'll think of some more.

edit: Trevor will punch someone out in the street who hasn't made a peep yet when Michael's daughter is being possibly coerced into some unladylike things for tv, Trevor is the first to goto her. Even Tracey (Michael's daughter) gives him a hug when she see's him, suggesting that there is a real thinking,nurturing heart under that rough exterior.

Who's to say the guy he punched didn't deserve it? Those quiet ones are the best liars.
    How do I know that what he does is right and not just martial law gone wrong? Well he's alive, and to me that says he must've done somethings right. (Total a-holes-which is what he seems to be- with no scruples have no future in the 'heist business', yet it seems he's been to hell and back and yet retains a sense of humour. That's tough in my book.)
    Right at the start he kills one of the 3 hero's from GTA4 (Johnny).
    What's the story with that I thought? Maybe Johnny had done all the good he was ever going to do, and the fact that he claimed to love that meth head Ashley,(who was not faithful nor repentent) , showed to me that he was slipping and couldn't see straightly as he seemed to in the previous GTA game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree