1. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    05 Apr '13 15:15
    This argument is ridiculous, yet people keep repeating it over and over. What am I missing? Why would anyone think that it makes any sense?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    05 Apr '13 15:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    This argument is ridiculous, yet people keep repeating it over and over. What am I missing? Why would anyone think that it makes any sense?
    Can you put this in context? It's difficult to tell what might have been meant by that without it.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    05 Apr '13 15:481 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    This argument is ridiculous, yet people keep repeating it over and over. What am I missing? Why would anyone think that it makes any sense?
    😕 This is my puzzled face, I wish there was a question mark face.
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    05 Apr '13 16:211 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Can you put this in context? It's difficult to tell what might have been meant by that without it.
    Posters keep claiming that because I come to this forum and take the time to discuss God, I must be a closet theist. Others claim that if I give myself the label 'atheist' then I must be a closet theist.

    Most recently:
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I have no doubt of your belief in God, as you have made considerable effort to take a position relative to His existence.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    05 Apr '13 18:472 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Posters keep claiming that because I come to this forum and take the time to discuss God, I must be a closet theist. Others claim that if I give myself the label 'atheist' then I must be a closet theist.

    Most recently:
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]I have no doubt of your belief in God, as you have made considerable effort to take a position relative to His existence.
    [/b]
    It's interesting. From what I can tell, many Christians are uncomfortable in being content with the fact that their beliefs are based in "faith". So there's often a tendency to overcompensate. This manifests itself in claims such as having "evidence", "knowing" rather than "believing", having a "personal relationship", etc. Or what you've detailed here. Of course, none of it makes sense.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    05 Apr '13 18:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Posters keep claiming that because I come to this forum and take the time to discuss God, I must be a closet theist. Others claim that if I give myself the label 'atheist' then I must be a closet theist.

    Most recently:
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]I have no doubt of your belief in God, as you have made considerable effort to take a position relative to His existence.
    [/b]
    Let's see, Frank goes 'you profess to be atheistic but the fact that you like talking about religion must mean you are really a theist in disguise'. Is that about it? Seems a bit circular to me. Like they say, sometimes a banana is just a banana.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91666
    05 Apr '13 20:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    This argument is ridiculous, yet people keep repeating it over and over. What am I missing? Why would anyone think that it makes any sense?
    That's not the only thing that Christians repeat over and over.

    Your situation reminds me of my Friday nights busking (many years ago), when the midnight street preachers would come up to me and ask if they can pray for me,etc. It seems as if they are assuming way too much, and really come across as rude because they claim to know me and my problems in life when actually they have no idea.
  8. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    05 Apr '13 20:46
    well you like a good arguement, whatever that makes you
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    05 Apr '13 22:27
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    It's interesting. From what I can tell, many Christians are uncomfortable in being content with the fact that their beliefs are based in "faith". So there's often a tendency to overcompensate. This manifests itself in claims such as having "evidence", "knowing" rather than "believing", having a "personal relationship", etc. Or what you've detailed here. Of course, none of it makes sense.
    To an atheist, one without faith at all, of course not.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    05 Apr '13 22:28
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    That's not the only thing that Christians repeat over and over.

    Your situation reminds me of my Friday nights busking (many years ago), when the midnight street preachers would come up to me and ask if they can pray for me,etc. It seems as if they are assuming way too much, and really come across as rude because they claim to know me and my problems in life when actually they have no idea.
    Now this is an argument that goes both ways, you know.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    05 Apr '13 22:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    To an atheist, one without faith at all, of course not.
    Perhaps you misinterpreted the last statement. It was meant to apply to the "overcompensating" claims.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    05 Apr '13 22:42
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Perhaps you misinterpreted the last statement. It was meant to apply to the "overcompensating" claims.
    If you cannot relate to faith, then you obviously cannot relate to any kind of "overcompensating" (I wouldn't exactly use that word though), either.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    05 Apr '13 22:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If you cannot relate to faith, then you obviously cannot relate to any kind of "overcompensating" (I wouldn't exactly use that word though), either.
    If they can't be honest with themselves about it, how can they be honest with others? What does it say about their regard for truth? If "God is truth", what does it say about their regard for God?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35531
    05 Apr '13 22:57
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    If they can't be honest with themselves about it, how can they be honest with others? What does it say about their regard for truth? If "God is truth", what does it say about their regard for God?
    But they ARE being honest with themselves.

    You just don't see it that way because you don't believe in what they believe, so you call it lying. Simple enough.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    06 Apr '13 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    But they ARE being honest with themselves.

    You just don't see it that way because you don't believe in what they believe, so you call it lying. Simple enough.
    First off, I termed it "overcompensating". Don't know why you ascribed the word "lying" to me.

    Let's take a somewhat concrete example. The details may not be correct, but a while back, there was a poster who believed that "speaking in tongues" was necessary indicator of one's faith and claimed that he had done so himself. He later said that he no longer subscribed to this belief and seemed to distance himself from that claim. Seems like if he had been able to be honest with himself, he never would have believed that he had actually spoken in tongues. Do you believe that he was being honest with himself?

    Or do you believe they are being honest with themselves when they say things like?:
    "I have no doubt of your belief in God, as you have made considerable effort to take a position relative to His existence."
Back to Top