1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 12:40
    As I've stated before, I'm principally a historian. One of my current projects concerns the Klondike Gold Rush (1897-1899). The sourdoughs--experienced miners--all knew to look for gold in the creeks, and they found gold aplenty. But a few greenhorns found even larger deposits when they dug a few feet deep on the hills above the creeks.

Now, geologists, and the sourdoughs studied geology, were able to account for this apparent analomy fairly easily, once the gold was found. How do young earth creationists account for the greatest deposits of Gold in the Klondike mining region being found on the hills, rather than in the creeks?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 12:53
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    As I've stated before, I'm principally a historian. One of my current projects concerns the Klondike Gold Rush (1897-1899). The sourdoughs--experienced miners--all knew to look for gold in the creeks, and they found gold aplenty. But a few greenhorns found even larger deposits when they dug a few feet deep on the hills above the creeks.

Now, geologists, ...[text shortened]... osits of Gold in the Klondike mining region being found on the hills, rather than in the creeks?
    If God created the earth, the stars, and everything where they are
    and the way they are, why would seeing gold anywhere be an issue, I
    don't understand your question?
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 12:58

Now, geologists, ...[text shortened]... osits of Gold in the Klondike mining region being found on the hills, rather than in the creeks?
    Could you give us a Geology 101 on the formation of Gold?
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 13:03
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    That's a very big "if" given the preponderous of times you have to retreat to Goddunnit to explain the world.

If an omnimax unicorn created the world we could explain it too. Allah did it. Quetzalcotl did it. Zeus did it. It's all the same.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 13:04
    Come on, Wulebgr, you should have seen KellyJay's answer coming. "God done it" answers all questions, apparently.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 13:08
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Come on, Wulebgr, you should have seen KellyJay's answer coming. "God done it" answers all questions, apparently.
    I am afraid the word "evolve" answers just the same amount of questions. Both are unprovable. So I suppose you just have to pick your choice.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 13:09
    Kelly
    Kelly, I usually expect a more thoughtful response from you. Of course, gold has no intrinsic value. But men have invested it with tremendous value, as they have diamonds (and for much the same purpose--mostly ornamental, some industrial applications).

The science was of terrific importance to the prospectors, but they applied it through to narrow a framework and missed the greatest finds until some ignorant newbies showed them where to look.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 13:15
    Kelly, I usually expect a more thoughtful response from you. Of course, gold has no intrinsic value. But men have invested it with tremendous value, as they have diamonds (and for much the same purpose--mostly ornamental, some industrial applications).

The science was of terrific importance to the prospectors, but they applied it through to narrow a framework and missed the greatest finds until some ignorant newbies showed them where to look.
    I think Kelly was asking you to explain how your post in any way disparages a young earth.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 13:33
    Originally posted by telerion
    That's a very big "if" given the preponderous of times you have to retreat to Goddunnit to explain the world.

If an omnimax unicorn created the world we could explain it too. Allah did it. Quetzalcotl did it. Zeus did it. It's all the same.
    I'll stop with the 'Goddunnit' when you stop asking about things that
    God did.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 13:36

Why not ask why a tree is here, or a mountain, a rock?
    Why would you think you were going to see something other than
    that?
    Can you tell me why gold is here, I mean why, what caused matter
    to form into gold, what caused matter period?
    Quesitons like that are answered how, without God?
    More times than not they are answered by saying, 'No one knows,
    but we know God had nothing to do with it!"
    Faith, what can I say?
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 13:57
    Why not ask why a tree is here, or a mountain, a rock?
    Why would you think you were going to see something other than
    that?
    Can you tell me why gold is here, I mean why, what caused matter
    to form into gold, what caused matter period?
    Quesitons like that are answered how, without God?
    More times than not they are answered by saying, 'No one knows,
    but we know God had nothing to do with it!"
    Faith, what can I say?
    Kelly
    Assume for the sake of argument that God created the gold.

There is still the matter of science.

Where gold is found stems from geologic processes, and human prospecting. Successful prospectors usually work from a theory rooted in their geological knowledge. Young earth creationists argue that basic principles of the science of geology are in error. These basic principles, no more than one learns in Geology 101, are sufficient to account for the heavier deposits of gold being found on the hills in the Klondike mining region--these particular discoveries were made in 1898. In similar fashion these basic principles account for the observation that gold is more often found in rivers than on the surrounding hills. Often, however, gold in creeks offers clues to the presence of larger deposits deep in the hills. In the Klondike, the large deposits on the hills were just below the surface, not deep at all. If young earth creationists can account for this phenomenon, it will answer my question.

I also picked this particular topic because I'm fairly confident that neither the creationists, nor their opponents can find quick answers through google. The story of the Klondike gold rush, on the other hand, is readily available online.

Originally posted by Halitose
    Could you give us a Geology 101 on the formation of Gold?

I could, but will not. Take Geology for yourself, or stay out of the debate.
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 14:00
    I'll stop with the 'Goddunnit' when you stop asking about things that
    God did.
    Kelly
    You mean when people ask you questions about things you have no rational answer for.

13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 14:01
    Assume for the sake of argument that God created the gold.

There is still the matter of science.

Where gold is found stems from geologic processes, and human prospecting. Successful prospectors usually work from a theory rooted in their geological knowledge. Young earth creationists argue that basic principles of the science of geology are in error. Th ...[text shortened]... ion of Gold?

I could, but will not. Take Geology for yourself, or stay out of the debate.[/b]
    I think we would all like to know how the position of gold deposits has anything to do with the age of the earth?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 14:04
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    You mean when people ask you questions about things you have no rational answer for.

Yep, and you also do not have an answer for too!
    Unless you can tell me where matter came from, I'd like to see your
    rational answer for that knowledge!
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 14:09

A quick read of the creation story has God making man, and man
    was not an infant but a full grown man. Afterwards there were children
    born that went through all the processes of growing up. The same
    with star light reaching the earth, the stars were made as a sign the
    sign was shown and the light from those starts also are making their
    way towards the earth, all processes of force, heat, evolution within
    kinds of life are all started at creation, and from there they are simply
    working their way through time as all things are, till God ends this
    go around and sets up His never ending Kingdom here on earth as
    He said He was going to.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree