1. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    20 Jul '05 22:101 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You look them up, I asked you.
    Kelly
    You said I didn't have an explanation and you don't want to look up the answers so I will just have to explain it to you.

Energy is nothing more than a waving of space as anyone familiar with gauge fields could tell you. Mass is simply a compactified gauge field that adopts the Pauli Exclusion principle due to it's short wavelenght being too small for gaps in the manifold to happen. At least that's how it's instantiated in Minkowski space.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Jul '05 22:14
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I'm not certain that young earth creationism is necessarily incompatible with the theory most nineteenth century prospectors worked from. But, I suspect the effort to explain the geology of the Klondike mining region upon the basis of young earth creationist principles will become ensnared in a web of contradictions and absurd assumptions.

I believe it i ...[text shortened]... must demonstrate sufficient geological knowledge to apply their theories to an obscure location.
    No one has given the 'Old Earth' side of the story. No one at all has specifically applied any model of how the Earth got to be the way it is to the Klondike mining region. At this point, no one has really taken either position. I guess no one is really interested in the question, including you - as you haven't taken a position yourself (though you imply you believe the 'Old Earth' model).
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    21 Jul '05 05:273 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No one has given the 'Old Earth' side of the story. No one at all has specifically applied any model of how the Earth got to be the way it is to the Klondike mining region. At this point, no one has really taken either position. ...[text shortened]... n yourself (though you imply you believe the 'Old Earth' model).
    I did not go on at length about the "old earth" theory because that wasn't my point. I'm prepared to do so, altough I may have to do a bit of work too. The point was to put forth a question--any question--concerned with one of the leading topics of debate here, but a question framed in such a way that folks would be forced to put forth their own ideas, instead of simply extracting nuggets from the websites they've staked out.

Nevertheless, I did post the following:

I believe orthodox geologists postulate something along the lines of five million years for the tablelands to erode to the point that existed during the mining boom, and that an uplift, or series of uplifts had occurred some time prior to that in order to create the tablelands in the first place. There's a good historical synopsis of this geology in the opening pages of Pierre Berton, The Klondike Fever: The Life and Death of the Last Great Gold Rush (1958), and a revised version of the same book--different title--published in 1972.

If it seems warranted, I may type a lengthy extract from Berton into this thread tomorrow. Perhaps that would demonstrate the requisite level of interest on my part.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jul '05 17:00
    Of course, but it fails to answer the question. In any case, I doubt you are really a young earth creationist.
    Why would you say that?
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree