Originally posted by Taoman
    *🙁
    Oh that ole imp black beetle cannot take itself seriously😵
  2. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    07 May '12 04:39
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Methinks the beetle is affirming your erudition, if with a gentle Zen whack on the head. 🙂
    Methinks too. I wonder then, what was that caring whack on the head for? (not disagreeing with it, as is clear I expect).

Karoly knows his stuff a lot more than others, and a true gentleman.
  3. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    07 May '12 04:52
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Taoman, Black Beetle, karoly aczel, vistesd. I bow to all of you. Pure reason untainted by emotion. Thank you.

An old silent pond...
    A frog jumps into the pond,
    splash! Silence again.
    I thought silence was the best acknowledgement, but it can be misinterpreted.

Thank you, Pianoman1.

*Plop*.
  4. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    07 May '12 06:491 edit
    May I?

Does the question question the questioner,
    Or does the questioner question the question?

Does there have to be an interpreter for an interpretation to arise?

Such humble limited bees, such wonderful organisation.

The orchid and the imitative insect, such a living interpretation, what a work!

Could it be the same interpreting Bach. Or ...[text shortened]...

Letting go of a self is not easy, yet it is,

[Favourite composer currently, Saint-Preux]
    Food for thought. Thank you.

Sometimes when I perform, I am not there. The music seems to play itself out of my fingers. But then my small self clamours for attention, I come to and the playing is not so good. When I am not there, who is playing? If not me, who? Is it my interpretation? If not, whose? When my small self asserts itself, whose interpretation it then? In what way different? And yet, mwhen I play the great romantic composers my small self wallows on the expression of the music - I need him!

Please forgive so many eager questions!
  5. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    07 May '12 10:512 edits
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Food for thought. Thank you.

Sometimes when I perform, I am not there. The music seems to play itself out of my fingers. But then my small self clamours for attention, I come to and the playing is not so good. When I am not there, who is playing? If not me, who? Is it my interpretation? If not, whose? When my small self asserts itself, whose interpretat ...[text shortened]... wallows on the expression of the music - I need him!

Please forgive so many eager questions!
    As I see it and describe it, others will describe it differently.

All will be verbally limited, but have some helpful pointers. But as with your best music -as if it is playing through you (very zen) - to stop and describe it is immediately to destroy the moment of being lost, suspended "somewhere".

The constructed small self could perhaps be seen as a 'companion' of the Indescribable, Source without an edge - a functional and highly individuated MEANS of manifestation/experiencing/living. A well tuned "small self" will save us from lions or speeding cars, and help make us a good musician, or grandfather. But it is my experience that our BEST fighting, running, writing,and playing will be when "you" "zenzone". It is then that we "verb", rather than encase ourselves in a noun, a label. I think we are best helped by treating our "self" label lightly, think of it as "self-ing".

It appears to me that we are helped also by giving up trying to directly describe "That". You just cant. Rather it appears an oblique approach is best to "catch a glimpse". Subtle, quiet, ready, open, awaiting a "happening".

How can we describe that which has no center, or which everywhere is it's center, that which is without boundaries?

Appearing empty, yet infinitely potent, full.

"The way that can be described is not the unbounded Way" (Tao Te Ching, 1:1)

The "small self" is a conditional one. It is a sense of having this inner source, a "spot" somewhere in us that it comes from. There is this "cloud" of living activity, sensations, interpretations, like a plasmic unity, yet no centre, and hard also to define any edge or boundary. These qualities are a reflection of its Source. And these days, as with quantum physics, psychologists are telling us the same (as if it was something new!). This sense of 'a self' is a construction, one by which we as an organism live, survive, produce (and play beautiful music).
    It is vital in all senses of the word for living in our conditioned existence.
    I was going to say 'we use it...', but really "an awareness" experiences and somehow participates, but that "gnosis" is not locatable, (yet you are "it" right now) - and especially if we go looking for it, because, that for which we are searching is "THAT" doing the searching. May as well try and look at your own eye (without a mirror!).

Koans and meditation are used to stymie our ceaseless-usual-conditioned responses. To STOP still and simply OPEN.
    Using fully acknowledged mythic images helps for others, helps by moving us from the analytical towards the poetic, a most suitable language (as with music) of mystery, wonder and heart.

Do you perhaps have any internet place where your playing may be heard?

Cheers, Pianoman1
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    09 May '12 14:45
    Methinks too. I wonder then, what was that caring whack on the head for? (not disagreeing with it, as is clear I expect).

Karoly knows his stuff a lot more than others, and a true gentleman.
    For leaving dust on his mirror😵
  7. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    10 May '12 12:09
    Originally posted by black beetle
    For leaving dust on his mirror😵
    Bloody dust!
    keeps spoiling my mirror.

Spit. Wipe. Polish. Wipe, Wipe.
    Wipe. Spit. Polish. Look. Wipe...

Another rag....
    Well, its a bit better,
    for now.
    And all for whom?

Whom dust.
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    10 May '12 13:37
    Bloody dust!
    keeps spoiling my mirror.

Spit. Wipe. Polish. Wipe, Wipe.
    Wipe. Spit. Polish. Look. Wipe...

Another rag....
    Well, its a bit better,
    for now.
    And all for whom?

Whom dust.
    I polish a mirror because there is a person that wants it clean; hopefully, I can do the work for him😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree