1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Feb '19 15:53
    Anyone here examined Judaic beliefs before captivity in Babylon and how it changed during captivity ?
    Seems Judaism "adopted" many new beliefs from Zoroasterism which later were incorporated into Christianity.
    Spend some time studying it (like I have) and you are in for a surprise.
    Truly amazing !
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Feb '19 15:57
    @caissad4 said
    Anyone here examined Judaic beliefs before captivity in Babylon and how it changed during captivity ?
    Seems Judaism "adopted" many new beliefs from Zoroasterism which later were incorporated into Christianity.
    Truly amazing !
    I always loved the simplicity of Zoroastrianism. (Recall a wonderful image of light being created out of darkness).
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 01:03
    @caissad4 said
    Truly amazing !
    "Anyone here examined Judaic beliefs before captivity in Babylon and how it changed during captivity ?"

Yes. The suggestion that the beliefs of the Jews "changed" before, during or after their captivity, as a result of the influence of Zoraster, in Babylon is erroneous.

"Seems Judaism "adopted" many new beliefs from Zoroasterism which later were incorporated into Christianity."

Pure B.S.

"Spend some time studying it (like I have) and you are in for a surprise."

You're blowing smoke. What you've "studied" is cockamamie nonsense.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 01:13
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I always loved the simplicity of Zoroastrianism. (Recall a wonderful image of light being created out of darkness).
    Give us a break Ghost. Zoroaster, allegedly, was a prophet of a monotheistic cult.

You don't believe any of it. You're an atheist. How can you claim to "love" "the simplicity" of something that is antithetical to your world view.

Stay true to your convictions and please refrain from soft peddling your opinions relative to monotheism.
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 02:22
    @secondson said
    "Anyone here examined Judaic beliefs before captivity in Babylon and how it changed during captivity ?"
    Yes. The suggestion that the beliefs of the Jews "changed" before, during or after their captivity, as a result of the influence of Zoraster, in Babylon is erroneous.
    "Seems Judaism "adopted" many new beliefs from Zoroasterism which later were incorporated int ...[text shortened]... you are in for a surprise."
    You're blowing smoke. What you've "studied" is cockamamie nonsense.
    You clearly have not studied available material on the evolution of Judaic beliefs relative to before and after captivity in Babylon . Denying history only shows ignorance.
    The only B.S. here is your manufactured make believe religious beliefs.
    It seems you have flushed your religious objectivity down the crapper long ago.
    Perhaps if you give a real effort to actually seeking truth, instead of settling for an imaginary sky god, you will find what you seek.
    Or you can stick your fingers in your ears and loudly proclaim "La, la, la, lala"
    You can exceed your societal programmed religious beliefs. You can.
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 04:26
    @caissad4 said
    You clearly have not studied available material on the evolution of Judaic beliefs relative to before and after captivity in Babylon . Denying history only shows ignorance.
    The only B.S. here is your manufactured make believe religious beliefs.
    It seems you have flushed your religious objectivity down the crapper long ago.
    Perhaps if you give a real effort to actually se ...[text shortened]... dly proclaim "La, la, la, lala"
    You can exceed your societal programmed religious beliefs. You can.
    Obviously you are passionate about your reasons for disbelief in the God of Israel and His active involvement in the affairs of mankind.

This is where we part company relative to any discussion about the existence of God, which is the crux of the matter.

To be honest, I'm not certain what it is I can say to change your mind. It seems your mind is steeped in that which informs you to the contrary of the truth of the information contained in the Bible.

The bottom line is, is that you try to give the impression that you think you know something more about the things that inform you contrary to the biblical narrative, and that I am unaware.

What you fail to comprehend is that while the majority of Jews living in the era of which you refer to were basically apostate with regards to the law of Moses, ergo their captivity, there remained a remnant that clung to the truth, and didn't follow after Zoroaster or any other false religions the permeated the region of the Middle East, of which there were many.

While what you may believe about the influence of Zoroaster, or any other religious practices of any others on the general population of the Jews over the course of history may have a basis in reality, the fact remains that the Jews have maintained their faith in the one true God down to this very day.

You're merely on a tangent, meandering through irrelevant information not in keeping with the true course of history relative to the nation of Israel and God's chosen people.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 04:301 edit
    @secondson said
    While what you may believe about the influence of Zoroaster, or any other religious practices of any others on the general population of the Jews over the course of history may have a basis in reality, the fact remains that the Jews have maintained their faith in the one true God down to this very day.
    Earlier you said it was "Pure B.S." Now, a couple of posts later, you are saying that the thing you described as "Pure B.S." instead "may have a basis in reality". You can't have it both ways.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 04:37
    @secondson said
    the fact remains that the Jews have maintained their faith in the one true God down to this very day.
    Surely, as a Christian, the Jews stopped believing in what you think is "the one true God" when they rejected Jesus as bogus and an imposter?
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 09:21
    @secondson said
    Give us a break Ghost. Zoroaster, allegedly, was a prophet of a monotheistic cult.

You don't believe any of it. You're an atheist. How can you claim to "love" "the simplicity" of something that is antithetical to your world view.

Stay true to your convictions and please refrain from soft peddling your opinions relative to monotheism.
    Zoroastrianism was part of my studies. Please explain why I am not permitted to love/enjoy something I studied, due to being an atheist? If you had say studied mythology, would you have been incapable of loving a particular mythology simply because you didn't believe it?

As the first monotheistic religion and therefore the first to present such ideas as angel, devils and saviors (good and evil) you are unwise to discount it's influence on other religions so readily.

As Caissad4 said, 'Spend some time studying it and you are in for a surprise.'
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 15:581 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

As the first monotheistic religion and therefore the first to present such ideas as angel, devils and saviors (good and evil) you are unwise to discount it's influence on other religions so readily.

I believe that the first monotheistic religion was practiced by Cain and Abel. And they were the second generation of human beings on earth.

Those two early brothers came to worship the one God they knew about - for good or for ill. Genesis 4.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 16:27
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

I believe that the first monotheistic religion was practiced by Cain and Abel. And they were the second generation of human beings on ear ...[text shortened]... ose two early brothers came to worship the one God they knew about - for good or for ill. Genesis 4.
    Oh dear.
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    08 Feb '19 18:26
    @sonship said

I believe that the first monotheistic religion was practiced by Cain and Abel. And they were the second generation of human beings on earth.

Those two early brothers came to worship the one God they knew about - for good or for ill. Genesis 4.
    That is another sky god fairy tale.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 03:52
    @caissad4 said
    That is another sky god fairy tale.
    If you believe so much in evidence, and hard evidence, why do you not post some of the evidence that Jewish monotheism comes from Zoroastrianism in this thread.

I've read the books of materialist atheists that have suggested things like the exodus were false and the likes, but during the course of it they seemed to prove very much that the Jews were monotheists who did not believe in idolatry at all -- so much so that there just isn't any evidence of polytheism or idol worship among the Jews who settled in Israel.

If they had previously been like the other people around them, polytheistic and the likes, why do we not see the typical hallmarks of polytheism?

And if they were polytheists... why would they have had a prohibition against eating pork, something else that shows up in the archaeological evidence around Israel?

Is there some kind of hard evidence that would indicate that Judaism was not monotheist in practice?
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 03:53
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Have you read the Avestan?

It's a decent book. Though a lot of it focuses on concepts of purity, which is very contentious these days.

I think the burial stuff is very interesting as well. The fact that some areas still maintain these practices in India is fascinating to me.

I've heard that the edgy thing for teens to do in Iran is get into Zoroastrianism.
  15. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    09 Feb '19 04:39
    @philokalia said
    If you believe so much in evidence, and hard evidence, why do you not post some of the evidence that Jewish monotheism comes from Zoroastrianism in this thread.

I've read the books of materialist atheists that have suggested things like the exodus were false and the likes, but during the course of it they seemed to prove very much that the Jews were monotheists who did ...[text shortened]... Is there some kind of hard evidence that would indicate that Judaism was not monotheist in practice?
    Where in my OP did I claim that Jews became polytheistic ?? Where did I claim that Jewish monotheism comes from Zoroastrianism ??
    Your reply is not relevant to the OP.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree