Originally posted by @divegeester
    - Jesus knocking on the door of a sinners heart calls out: “let me in”

- Sinner replies: “why?”

- Jesus persists: “so I can save you”

- Sinner is inquisitive: “save me from what?”

- Jesus closes: “from what I’ll do to you in hell if you don’t let me in”

😕
    Jesus knocking on the door of a sinners heart calls out: “let me in”
    Revelation 3:14 (which precedes and informs verse 20, to which you refer) is very specific who the target audience is: believers, not unbelievers.
    The Christ did not then and is not now asking sinners to “let me in,” as such a proposition would be blasphemous.
    As sinners, we invite God nowhere, as we have nowhere for Him to abide.
    Our hearts are ‘filled with malice.
    Our throat is an open grave; with our tongues we tell lies.’ (paraphrase of Psalm 5:9)
    Who would dare invite God into such depravity?
    It takes God to make a home for Himself in our hearts and minds; otherwise we have nothing to offer Him.

The rest of your post is sentimental nonsense, completely bereft of any Scriptural basis whatsoever.
    What God did on the cross is denuded by your scenario and replaced with falsity.
    No one goes to hell for their sin as sin has been completely removed from the situation.
    The act of His work paid the entire bill yet you’re suggesting that man either needs to pick up the tip, or help pay for some portion of the meal.
    Absurd and patently false.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 11:08

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 11:091 edit
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    [b]Jesus knocking on the door of a sinners heart calls out: “let me in”
    Revelation 3:14 (which precedes and informs verse 20, to which you refer) is very specific who the target audience is: believers, not unbelievers.
    The Christ did not then and is not now asking sinners to “let me in,” as such a proposition would be blasphemous.
    As sinners, we i ...[text shortened]... needs to pick up the tip, or help pay for some portion of the meal.
    Absurd and patently false.[/b]
    On what basis do you claim that Rev 3:14 is the filtering qualifier for verse 20, which incidentally says “anyone”?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 11:11
    No one goes to hell for their sin as sin has been completely removed from the situation.
    Are you therefore claiming that there is going to be no one (human beings at least) in hell?

If so then we are in agreement.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 12:24
    Well, that only leaves 'lack of belief' as a reason to be sent to "hell" which substantiates the point that divegeester was making in his OP.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 13:232 edits
    The act of His work paid the entire bill yet you’re suggesting that man either needs to pick up the tip, or help pay for some portion of the meal.

I think that what some call Substitution only occurs to the many who receive Him.

The work was done on the cross for all people. Substitution occurs to those who receive Lord Jesus. This is what I do know. There are things which are unknown.

"The things that are hidden belong to Jehovah our God; but the things that are revealed, to us and our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law." (Deut. 29:29)

The skeptic's tactic is to exploit the things which are not very clearly revealed to use them to discount the things which are clearly revealed.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 13:31
    Originally posted by @sonship

I think that what some call [b]Substitution
    only occurs to the many who receive Him.

The wor ...[text shortened]... ich are not very clearly revealed to use them to discount the things which are clearly revealed.[/b]
    So FreakyKBH said "No one goes to hell for their sin as sin has been completely removed from the situation." In that case, who goes to "hell" and what for?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 15:33
    [b]Jesus knocking on the door of a sinners heart calls out: “let me in”
    As sinners, we i ...[text shortened]... needs to pick up the tip, or help pay for some portion of the meal.
    Absurd and patently false.[/b]
    What will happen to Judas Iscariot and Ananias and Sapphira
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:072 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    So FreakyKBH said "No one goes to hell for their sin as sin has been completely removed from the situation." In that case, who goes to "hell" and what for?
    In the final judgment it says that books were opened which were the records of people's deeds. And it goes on to say that whoever's name was not written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

The casting into the lake of fire appears to be related to having or not having your name recorded in the book of life.

"And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and scrolls were opened, and another scroll was opened, which is the book of life.

And the dead were judged by the things which were written in the scrolls, according to their works. (Rev. 20:12) ...

And if anyone was not found written in the book of life, he was cast into the lake of fire." (v.15)

The footnotes of the Recovery Bible for Rev. 20:15 read:

The perishing unbelievers will be judged according to the scrolls, which are a record of their works (vv.12-13), but they will be cast into the lake of fire according to the book of life. This indicates that they are condemned by the Lord because of their evil deeds but perish because of their unbelief, which issues in their not having their names written in the book of life. Not believing in the Lord Jesus is the unique sin that causes people to perish (John 16:9) ...

The lake of fire has been prepared for the devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41). Since the unbelievers have followed the devil, they will share the devil's judgment (John 16:11) and will become joint partakers of the devil's eternal torment. The demons, also having followed the devil, will share the same destiny.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:112 edits
    In the final judgment it says that books were opened which were the records of people's deeds. And it goes on to say that whoever's name was not written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

The casting into the lake of fire appears to be related to having or not having your name recorded in the book of life.

[b] "And I saw the ...[text shortened]... ernal torment. The demons, also having followed the devil, will share the same destiny.
    If an all loving God truly exists then I am certain He will find those biblical passages abhorrent and not be at all pleased they have been attributed to Him.

Edit: You have been warned.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:191 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    If an all loving God truly exists then I am certain He will find those biblical passages abhorrent and not be at all pleased they have been attributed to Him.

This is the foolish hope that if there is Divine LOVE there will not be Divine RIGHTEOUSNESS.

This is the thought that many cannot grasp - that God can coordinate together His great love with His great perfect rightness.

If God condemns all there is no love.
    If God looks the other way and ignores all sins, He is unrighteous.

A man has to settle it in his heart that one attribute does not cancel the other out with God. It has to hit you that the cross of Jesus Christ represents the working TOGETHER of the great love of God and the righteousness of God.

It is not forgiveness of a dept overlooked.
    It is forgiveness with the dept PAID. ... PAID in Christ on behalf of the debtors.

We are now commanded by God to BELIEVE in Christ.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:28

By saying this to me is that an admitting of your own fear of God?

You knew you believed the Bible.
    Are you afraid of man?
    Afraid of losing "face" around some smart atheist types?

Don't you find it harder not to believe than to believe?
    You warn me, apparently, out of some sense of realism.

Thankyou !
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:34
    This is the foolish hope that if there is Divine LOVE there will not be Divine RIGHTEOUSNESS.

This is the thought that many cannot grasp - that God can coordinate together His great love with His great perfect rightness.

If God condemns all there is no love.
    If God looks the other way and ignores all sins, He is unrighteous.

A man has to se ...[text shortened]... . PAID in Christ on behalf of the debtors.

We are now commanded by God to BELIEVE in Christ.
    Christians who believe in a hell of eternal suffering are self-serving, even if this is on a subconscious level. It stems from a deviant desire for others who are not as good as them or lived lives they don't approve of to be punished. Their own 'goodness' is vindicated by a God who punishes lesser human beings. Such a belief is born of 'spite.' It has nothing to do with divine righteousness. It is all about human weakness.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:36
    Originally quoted by @sonship
    This indicates that they are condemned by the Lord because of their evil deeds but perish because of their unbelief, which issues in their not having their names written in the book of life. Not believing in the Lord Jesus is the unique sin that causes people to perish.
    So, divegeester's OP hits the nail on the head.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '17 16:37
    Christians who believe in a hell of eternal suffering are self-serving, even if this is on a subconscious level. It stems from a deviant desire for others who are not as good as them or lived lives they don't approve of to be punished. Their own 'goodness' is vindicated by a God who punishes lesser human beings. Such a belief is born of 'spite.' It has nothing to do with divine righteousness. It is all about human weakness.
    Well said.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree