1. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 04:05
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    ps I wonder if the Aussies will replace Deans before the cup? Though I believe he's heading in the right direction.
    Again, unlikely. It's getting a little late in the race to change the horse, let alone the course and besides, Deans' has achieved much more with considerable less given the Crusaders' past succesess. Twelve months is a very long time in Rugby terms, and I too, like yourself, like what Deans' is doing with the Wallabies and I fancy them for the final, mainly because they have the easiest pool and will be carrying less injuries.

skeets
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 19:05
    SA refs have their own approach which generally we can adapt to but need a decent cushion to allow for the odd interpretation.
    Not sure I get this, care to explain?
    All refs are just human, but generalizing like that is just silly.

You've not been up in arms about the last game's refereeing, so does this mean you are OK with teams spoiling each other's quick ball. That seems counter-productive for someone who professes to liking the running game...
    Proper policing of the breakdowns means quick ball when it's due and nice running rugby.
  3. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 22:31
    In my opinion SA are too whistle happy at the break down and make basic errors. The English refs blow everything up but I believe are more accurate. The style of blowing up everything around the breakaway favours the lumbering old style forwards and slows down the game can catch up with the play.. so of course we see that from SA and England.

I'm really going to avoid the subject... I think it's been done to death here.
    I do not think anyone here will agree except to say refs have styles and ppl have fav styles.. Perhaps a site ban on ref discussion is in order ;o but then you'd bang on about NZ cheating all the time.. we can't win SA rulz everyone else cheats.
  4. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 23:51
    l went to the Melbourne game. The AllBlacks were scarely good. Australia is a loooong way off being competitive - especially if the game is played indoors! the skills level and inventive play of the NZ backs & forwards is very impressive.
  5. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 00:40
    Originally posted by nook7
    l went to the Melbourne game. The AllBlacks were scarely good. Australia is a loooong way off being competitive - especially if the game is played indoors! the skills level and inventive play of the NZ backs & forwards is very impressive.
    The great thing is Nook that they are slowing introducing a new players that we'll see a bit more of next year. Since the fast passing is starting to stick the level is on the up. I do believe Robbie Deans is trying to get his guys onto it too but they haven't quite got the depth. SA and England have big powerhouse packs but they seem to me to be concerned with keeping the ball rather than moving it if that makes sense.
  6. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 02:17
    Dan, if the AllBlacks improve it will be a scary thing. l agree with you re forward packs. NZ can hold their own there but the ability of NZ to make plays from nothing and use a combination of skills with aggressive play if really revolutionalising the way Rugby should be played.

It is a beautiful thing to see players backing themselves to beat their opponents rather than the formula play that still seems prevalent for many teams.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 06:53
    In my opinion SA are too whistle happy at the break down and make basic errors. The English refs blow everything up but I believe are more accurate. The style of blowing up everything around the breakaway favours the lumbering old style forwards and slows down the game can catch up with the play.. so of course we see that from SA and England.

I'm really ...[text shortened]... en you'd bang on about NZ cheating all the time.. we can't win SA rulz everyone else cheats.
    No one has been "cheating", they have been getting away with incompetent refs not blowing the rules 😕

The last game in point: Craig Joubert blew a basically perfect game - refs will always make errors, as they are human and we have all these great camera angles with slow motion etc. which makes it easy to spot these errors.
    The IRB wants the breakdowns cleaner and I'm seeing the SA refs blowing it properly. You want a free-for-all at the breakdowns? Take it up with the IRB.

Seriously, tell me what you thought of the Aus vs. SA game:
    A wallaby jumps into a ruck - in the 'red zone' and slaps the ball away from in front of the scrumhalf and gets penalised.
    A bok gets bumped over the ruck by the defenders behind in the 'red zone' but tries his utmost to get out of the way of the ball, replays showing him move away from the ball and lifting his hands, but gets penalised AND sent off.
    Why is there double standards?
  8. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 10:49
    On that we can rejoice.. when we start to love watching flowing rugby the game shines... everything else evaporates.. refs even swallow their whistles and everyone stops to soak in talent.
  9. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 22:59
    Correct - it was hard to believe, but l was cheering for NZ!
  10. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    05 Aug '10 04:12
    we were dropping the ball, running into the defence and making so many errors last year I almost gave up hope of seeing some decent rugby.. but if they keep this up their is hope.
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    05 Aug '10 08:19
    we were dropping the ball, running into the defence and making so many errors last year I almost gave up hope of seeing some decent rugby.. but if they keep this up their is hope.
    All teams have to go through phases of rebuilding a core of players. Seems the All Blacks are in a good place again...
  12. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 04:18
    France could be the sly ones next year.. but in the tri nations perhaps nz have come the furthest.. though next year will be the last for Ritchie Mils and Dan Carter.
  13. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 01:12
    Why would Carter retire now? as he is still not that old and is in great form
  14. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 02:23
    I mean I don't see him being there at the 2015 cup
  15. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 02:48
    I mean I don't see him being there at the 2015 cup
    aah gotcha, he would be about 32-33 so an outside chance but unlikely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree