1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '09 02:36
    I'm sure you have all heard the news that A-Rod has recently been caught taking illegal steroids. In fact, in 2003, the year he won the MVP and was traded to the Yankees, he had to do a random drug test and failed. What is puzzling, however, is that nothing was done and they attempted to keep the test results anonymous even though, at the time, steroids were banned from MLB. So the question begs, does MLB care? Do you care? Does anyone care at this point? I say MLB is so scarred of the baseball unions, judging from the results of the last few strikes, that they will cave to the players on pretty much any level.
  2. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    08 Feb '09 03:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm sure you have all heard the news that A-Rod has recently been caught taking illegal steroids. In fact, in 2003, the year he won the MVP and was traded to the Yankees, he had to do a random drug test and failed. What is puzzling, however, is that nothing was done and they attempted to keep the test results anonymous even though, at the time, steroids wer ...[text shortened]... e results of the last few strikes, that they will cave to the players on pretty much any level.
    Looking at Madonna recently, I thinks it obvious where he gets them. Kick him out of baseball, I can't stand the arrogant prick anyway.

Free Pete Rose
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '09 04:21
    I'm sure you have all heard the news that A-Rod has recently been caught taking illegal steroids. In fact, in 2003, the year he won the MVP and was traded to the Yankees, he had to do a random drug test and failed. What is puzzling, however, is that nothing was done and they attempted to keep the test results anonymous even though, at the time, steroids wer ...[text shortened]... e results of the last few strikes, that they will cave to the players on pretty much any level.
    The whole thing was the set of tests to determine whether there should be random testing. 104 other guys tested at the same time. I agree, they should have all been punished.
  4. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 03:02
    I'd still put him in the HOF. Bonds, Palmeiro, Clemens as well.
  5. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 16:02
    Who cares about steroids in baseball? Every time I hear that the senate or some government panel is investigating I want to break something.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 16:37
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Who cares about steroids in baseball? Every time I hear that the senate or some government panel is investigating I want to break something.
    If you don't care, that's fine. Some of us think using illegal drugs to ruin the game and records of the baseball greats is a crime, and will talk about it.

P-
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 16:40
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I think the general lesson for us all is the more money and prestige you earn the less accountable you become to society in general.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 18:04
    I think the general lesson for us all is the more money and prestige you earn the less accountable you become to society in general.
    And also that the society will not take any steps of its own to hold them accountable, like refusing to buy tickets.

But you have to wonder if society really cares. The NFL is more popular than ever, and I bet they have far more 'roiders than baseball.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '09 22:05
    I am a Yankee fan but it is quite absurd to say you would honor someone by putting them in the Hall of Fame when you caught them cheating.
  10. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 20:32
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I am a Yankee fan but it is quite absurd to say you would honor someone by putting them in the Hall of Fame when you caught them cheating.
    What about mike Schmidt?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 20:43
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Gaylord Perry?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 20:51
    It's easy to be puzzled when you make no attempt to discover the facts.

August 30, 2002: MLB and the union unveil Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program as an addendum to the new Basic Agreement, which is bargained at the 11th hour just as the players are about to go out on strike. The new policy calls for "Survey Testing" in 2003 to gauge the use of steroids among players on the 40-man rosters of each club. The tests will be anonymous and no one will be punished.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/drug_policy.jsp?content=timeline
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 20:561 edit
    We'll probably never know the full extent of the problem - but it's likely that almost everyone who played during the late 90s and early 00s were using stuff. There's no way of knowing who was truly clean - everyone is suspect.

The sports that seem to be the worst shape (baseball, cycling) are probably the ones that are in the best shape - because there are tests, people are getting caught, the problem is being dealt with.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 22:31
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's easy to be puzzled when you make no attempt to discover the facts.

August 30, 2002: MLB and the union unveil Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program as an addendum to the new Basic Agreement, which is bargained at the 11th hour just as the players are about to go out on strike. The new policy calls for " ...[text shortened]... no one will be punished.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/drug_policy.jsp?content=timeline[/b]
    Obviously the fact that the results were supposed to be anonymous had a lot to do with the cooperation they received in the testing. No one really counted on a Federal subponea allowing them to seize the records before they could be destroyed. Now the memories of many of the players are getting clearer now that the evidence is shown to exist. What still boggles the mind is that many of the players are being persecuted for using the stuff when it was not illegal to do so. The only ones who should be punished at all are those who used the stuff after it became a banned substance.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 22:32
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    We'll probably never know the full extent of the problem - but it's likely that almost everyone who played during the late 90s and early 00s were using stuff. There's no way of knowing who was truly clean - everyone is suspect.

The sports that seem to be the worst shape (baseball, cycling) are probably the ones that are in the best shape - because there are tests, people are getting caught, the problem is being dealt with.
    Hello??? The WORST abuser is the NFL by a long shot!! You are now seeing many of the linemen and linebackers that were users dying before they reach 60 and in many cases 50 years of age.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree