1. Subscriberchris stephens
    i'll decide!
    Glasgow Scotland
    Moves
    16 Nov '07 19:36
    as predicted during the world cup, scottish football and its international team have come on leaps and bounds, despite the sneering form ingerlund supporters, and it all rests on tomorrow's big game, and arguably the biggest match of the weekend.

Whatever happens, the following is clear;

(1) Scotland would have qualified from any other group in the Euro qualification.
    (2) Even Ian wright acknowledges how well we have done, and he suggests that Ingerlund would struggle in scotlands group on current form.
    (3) Scotland are at least going to be a team that other countries will fear going into the world cup draw - scotland will be 2nd seeds.
    (4) Qualification is still in scotlands hands

I have a sneaky suspicion that ukraine will beat france (fingers crossed), so scotland must get something from the game tomorrow against the world champions.

The atmosphere in glasgow today was electric, everyone is looking forward to this game, with many workers wearing scotland tops to raise money for children in need. The pubs will be busy, the city will be buzzing.

AND ILL BE AT THE GAME!

COME ON SCOTLAND! WE CAN DO IT!
  2. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Nov '07 20:06
    Originally posted by chris stephens
    as predicted during the world cup, scottish football and its international team have come on leaps and bounds, despite the sneering form ingerlund supporters, and it all rests on tomorrow's big game, and arguably the biggest match of the weekend.

(1) Scotland would have qualified from any other group in ...[text shortened]... e busy, the city will be buzzing.

AND ILL BE AT THE GAME!

COME ON SCOTLAND! WE CAN DO IT!
    I'm English and therfore an England supporter but also cheer on the other home nations, although sometimes this is difficult when faced with the typical .chip on their shoulder' scots. Not that you have said anything bad about England, but you still refer to them a couple of times in your post. Why can't you just support your team for the sake of your team without trying to compare them to England? By the way I think it's a bit ambitious to think teams will fear Scotland, respect maybe but not fear. Good luck anyway, I for one will be cheering both Scotland and Israel, although I know that most Scots will almost certainly be cheering on Russia.
  3. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 08:35
    All I have to say about the group that the sweaty socks are in, is that Italy always qualify.

End of.
  4. 6yd box
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 08:441 edit
    [

(1) Scotland would have qualified from any other group in e busy, the city will be buzzing.

AND ILL BE AT THE GAME!

COME ON SCOTLAND! WE CAN DO IT![/b]
    ok...lets look at your points....

(1)..... not sure about that!
    (2) agreed... england need to get rid of Mac!
    (3) YOU ARE JOKING..RIGHT!😡
    (4) agreed...

anyway..COME ON SCOTLAND.... we need at least ONE BRITISH team in the competition this summer😳😳😳
  5. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 10:352 edits
    Originally posted by spurs73
    ok...lets look at your points....

(1)..... not sure about that!
    (2) agreed... england need to get rid of Mac!
    (3) YOU ARE JOKING..RIGHT!😡
    (4) agreed...

anyway..COME ON SCOTLAND.... we need at least ONE BRITISH team in the competition this summer😳😳😳
    If some can hope for Scotland to be 2nd seeds then maybe I can hope for the other (even more ) unlikely result (than Israel getting a draw), ie the impossible sounding Macedonia defeat Croatia result!

Edit: Although I do think England do not deserve to get to the finals, and if they were lucky enough to be let off the hook then maybe harsh lessons would not be learned.
  6. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 11:002 edits
    (1) Scotland would have qualified from any other group in the Euro qualification.
    (2) Even Ian wright acknowledges how well we have done, and he suggests that Ingerlund would struggle in scotlands group on current form.
    (3) Scotland are at least going to be a team that other countries will fear going into the world cup draw - scotland will be 2nd seeds.
    (4) Qualification is still in scotlands hands
    1. They've played well in their group, unfortunately that doesn't prove that they'd have definitely qualified if they'd been in any other.

2. Ian Wright is an idiot, but he's right about one thing - Ingerlund would struggle to punch their way through a soggy paper bag at the moment

3. I don't think the big guns will be losing too much sleep over them just because they've strung a few results together recently - the fact is Scotland are an overperforming team made up of very average players. I'm sure most of the 3rd seed teams would prefer to be drawn in Scotland's group than any of the other 2nd seed teams

4. Until they fail to beat Italy today

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your day
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 17:05
    Ooops!

D
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 18:54
    Oh dear.

Have to say, one of the most exciting games I've watched as a semi neutral in a while. The Scots gave their all, and unfortunately, when the chance came to McFadden, he was so shagged he couldn't sort his feet out. He should also have crossed for 1 of 3 scots instead of shooting from a tight angle on the right.

The linesmen was at fault in ruling out an Italian goal, in not ruling out the Scottish goal, and in awarding the free which lead to the 2nd. I guess the end result was fair, but it could really have gone any way.

Anyway, well done Scotland on an excellent performance based on playing real football.

D
  9. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 20:13
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    If some can hope for Scotland to be 2nd seeds then maybe I can hope for the other (even more ) unlikely result ...
    I don't understand your incredulity. Scotland are indeed second seed for WC qualifying.
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    17 Nov '07 20:41
    Originally posted by blade68
    All I have to say about the group that the sweaty socks are in, is that Italy always qualify.

End of.
    ...as I was saying...
  11. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 09:095 edits
    Originally posted by pootstick
    I don't understand your incredulity. Scotland are indeed second seed for WC qualifying.
    Because the top seeds are Austria (as a home team), Switzerland (again as a home team) Greece (as champions) Spain (with highest UEFA co-efficient). I would anticipate the 2nd seeds would come form the following teams (in group order):

Portugal
    Italy (France omitted to make way for Scot qualifying)
    Germany
    Czech
    Croatia
    England
    Holland

Edit:
    If you take England out of the list, because they got lucky in Israel and to be fair at the time of your post it was safe to assume they may not qualify, are you really saying that Scotland would displace 2 of the above teams?

Edit: sorry miscountered actually they would have to displace 3 of the above teams (not counting England)
  12. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 09:571 edit
    So going off my post above, I will give you England, please list the other 3 teams from that list that you think Scotland would be seeded ahead of. I can't wait to see this 😡
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 10:472 edits
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    So going off my post above, I will give you England, please list the other 3 teams from that list that you think Scotland would be seeded ahead of. I can't wait to see this 😡
    Since when does "WC qualifying" = Euro 2008? πŸ™„

D
  14. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 11:033 edits
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Since when does "WC qualifying" = Euro 2008? πŸ™„

D
    It doesn't I misread the original thread as I thought he was saying they would be second seeds in the group stages of the Uero finals. I suspect that you already suspected this though 😞
  15. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 11:482 edits
    I thought he had said they would be second seeds for the Euro 2008 finals, afer all this is a thread about Euro 2008 (although I accept obvioulsy it was my error). But thanks for refraining from posting an agressive response or being sarcastic in your reply like a dickhead would have. You are a gentleman of the furums as I did indeed made a huge error in my post. Also please accept my sympathy over Scotland's departure from the tournament, assuming England get there, it would have been great to have Scotland there as well or there as the only home nation team

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree