Aussie cricket woes

Aussie cricket woes

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Dec 16

Originally posted by Blood On The Tracks
Happy Christmas, Karoly

You just ignore him, knows nothing about cricket and is as Aussie as a, let me see, hahahaha or bwahahaha, a haggis (private joke between me and champ, to be revealed in new year, he's been very careless)

Onto cricket

Pakistan are just an odd mix. We thought we had them last English summer, beating them easily in ...[text shortened]... '? That's how the current Pakistan play

Yes, can't take it away from Smith . Annoyingly good!
BTW Smith didn't make the ICC top 11 (12th man), while Warner (who averages 11 less and scored only 2 test centuries) made it. Steyn made it with 11 wickets??
Voges made it and he got guillotined after Hobart.
Some strange selections there for sure.
Smith now has the 7th or 8th highest average of all time. Brilliant considering he started as a leg spinner and number 8 batsman!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Dec 16

And a happy new year!

I would say that '30' is the key figure, batting average above it, bowling below. It is quite a tough target, and I would allow a few 'points' either way. For example, best all rounder ever, Garry Sobers, had a bowling average just over 30.

Another, really tough way of judging is to say 'are they worth a place in the s ...[text shortened]... atted to fans on the boundary edge and signed autographs for kids. Much respect to him for that.
Also much respect for Mitchell Johnson giving test cricket away. If you're not right (not loving it) , you shouldn't be there. That's a gutsy decision.

The Aussies (as other teams) are in search of a genuine all rounder. I hope they don't get weakened with their bowling in pursuit of one! Bigger bats, quicker scoring, less grass on pitches... you gotta get those 20 wickets to win a match...

If Wade could only live upto his potential then there would be no real need for an allrounder.

What do you think about 4 day tests? (with a spare 5th day if a day is rained out)
I think it may revive test cricket,however I know how hard it is to convince the tradtionalists,lol

Moves
29 Dec 16

Hi. See Smith came good again today. He is v annoying (as a Brit), not a classical technique by any means, but keeps producing. Not sure he will keep that test average at 60ish, but we will see.

Not familiar with the 'ICC' team you reference. Is that some 'world' end of year team? Guess Steyn is there on reputation? Warner IS one of best 2 openers at moment

4 day tests? If they make 'em bowl 100 overseas a day in the 4 days. Penalise heavily with runs if they don't. (Obviously allow for wickets taken etc)

Wade failed with bat. You need a Bairstowe or de lock!

Moves
29 Dec 16

Sorry. Predictive texting. 'Overs' and 'de kocke' above!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
29 Dec 16
2 edits

Hi. See Smith came good again today. He is v annoying (as a Brit), not a classical technique by any means, but keeps producing. Not sure he will keep that test average at 60ish, but we will see.

Not familiar with the 'ICC' team you reference. Is that some 'world' end of year team? Guess Steyn is there on reputation? Warner IS one of best 2 op ...[text shortened]... Obviously allow for wickets taken etc)

Wade failed with bat. You need a Bairstowe or de lock!
Wade failed but he's got the energy a wicketkeeper needs. Neville (former keeper) was actually doing well, but it was felt his presence around the stumps was not imposing enough. I agree. That sort of enthusiasm is worth a wicket in itself. And he will come good.
Yeah, it was a team of the year and I would've thought it was based on performance.
Smith average has gone from 50 to 70 since he became captain, his got over 4500 runs so it's more than just a few good innings, he's forging a serious career with the potential to achieve the 2nd best test average ever.

I still feel for Ferguson. Bought in for one test match then dropped - after being run out by a direct hit. 2 out of the 3 new debutants have done well but Maddison has failed everytime, with only one score in double figures (22). But now that they've made these changes, they must stick with them.

I was thinking Misbah is 42, like me so maybe I still have a chance of playing in a representative team...then I thought about it more and realized I would only make a Pakistani team. Lol. Voges comes to mind. Test career over at 36 despite being named in the ICC team of 2016.

The 4 day match would make declaring much harder for the captain and not so much would depend on the toss as it does at the moment. (I hate it when you know your team wont win straight after the toss. 5 days to go and you have to barrack for a draw?? )
Maybe leave more grass on wickets?

edit: btw how do you feel about promoting Root to England captain? Is he the right man for the job?

Moves
30 Dec 16

I suppose I have to (grudgingly!) congratulate Oz on skittling Pakistan on the last day and wrapping up the series. Poor show from Pakistan though, I see Misbah is talking about stepping down. He IS pushing on a bit at well past 40, but showed a lot of grit against England recently.

Maybe you have caught up with him (and Younis Khan) when they are over the hill

As you say, Smith continues to deliver. There was some discussion in England over the Summer as to who was the best from (probably) the 4 best bats in world cricket at the moment, Smith, Root, Kohli and Kane Williamson . Think Smith and Kohli lead the way at present.

It is hard to say how good Joe Root would be as captain, he isnt captain of Yorkshire, so has minimum experience. My view is we desperately need his runs, so we don't want to distract him in any way. We played too many Tests in 2016 (17 I think!), but now have 6 months before the next one, so maybe Cook will recharge his batteries and come back refreshed

High Class Blunderer

On a train somewhere

Moves
02 Jan 17

Root as Captain: Its possible, but I think Cook might stay on after this break. Even though the tour to India was a disaster, it really wasn't unexpected given England's spin bowling stocks and the conditions they came up against.

Smith, Root, Kohli or Williamson ?
In Tests in any conditions against any attack, I'd go Smith at the moment. In limited overs, Kohli first, day light second. Especially chasing. He's like Bevan and Dhoni, only better

Strong wins at home to Australia and a South Africa. Not unexpected though. Pakistan have a bad habit of collapsing in the 2nd Innings in placid conditions. Sri Lanka are poor tourists, and they are a batsman and quick bowler short of being a capable side at the moment.

Test starting tomorrow :
No huge surprises from Australia in picking Cartwright and Okeefe instead of Maddinson and Bird. Maddinson just ran out of chances, and a top score of 22 in 4 digs just wasn't good enough. Bird was unlucky, but Sydney has been producing turners all season, and 2 spinners were needed.
Cartwright is a bit of a surprise, but he's shown some strong batting form this season and he's really a 5th option in attack. Might be lucky to get 10 overs in.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
02 Jan 17
1 edit

Originally posted by weststigersbob
Root as Captain: Its possible, but I think Cook might stay on after this break. Even though the tour to India was a disaster, it really wasn't unexpected given England's spin bowling stocks and the conditions they came up against.

Smith, Root, Kohli or Williamson ?
In Tests in any conditions against any attack, I'd go Smith at the moment. In limit ...[text shortened]... ting form this season and he's really a 5th option in attack. Might be lucky to get 10 overs in.
Maybe too many changes. New spinner. New allrounder . Give Maddison another go.
Then again they only gave Ferguson one.
Handscomb has been a godsend for the middle order which is still not out of trouble.
And Bird... he was doing alright.

Why look for an allrounder with such desperation? If you don't have a good one then don't worry (of course they do have Maxwell) All the bowlers have to bat so just get their averages up and you fill the hole of less runs without taking a bet on the bowling

High Class Blunderer

On a train somewhere

Moves
03 Jan 17

I think they are looking more at the India tour than this game per se.
Maddinson hasn't played well enough - compare Renshaw and Handscomb.
Let's see how this Cartwright goes. They've tried a few in that 3rd seamer, bat 6/7 position over the years and no one has ever stuck. Maybe he can Buck the trend.

Maxwell is the most overrated cricketer In Australia's cricket history. He just does produce when it's required. Sure he occasionally makes a massive score in T20 cricket and has all the fancy tricks, flicks and ramps - but his defence is lacking and frankly, he bowls pies.

Moves
03 Jan 17

I think they are looking more at the India tour than this game per se.
Maddinson hasn't played well enough - compare Renshaw and Handscomb.
Let's see how this Cartwright goes. They've tried a few in that 3rd seamer, bat 6/7 position over the years and no one has ever stuck. Maybe he can Buck the trend.

Maxwell is the most overrated cricketer In A ...[text shortened]... all the fancy tricks, flicks and ramps - but his defence is lacking and frankly, he bowls pies.
Hi Bob

Surprised, posting when you did (almost exactly at the end of the 1st session) that you didnt mention Warner's brilliant knock.

Made the very wise decision to stay up in Uk til 1.30 am to watch the first session. Only 5th man EVER to score hundred before lunch on 1st day of a Test, 1st for 40 years.

Fantastic knock. Always liked Warner, good attitude. Transcends 'Oz/England' rivallry. The Pakistan bowlers weren't much cop, but you don't score like that against the 1980s WI attack!

See the Brit we lent you did ok too! ;-)

High Class Blunderer

On a train somewhere

Moves
04 Jan 17

Hi Bob

Surprised, posting when you did (almost exactly at the end of the 1st session) that you didnt mention Warner's brilliant knock.

Made the very wise decision to stay up in Uk til 1.30 am to watch the first session. Only 5th man EVER to score hundred before lunch on 1st day of a Test, 1st for 40 years.

Fantastic knock. Always liked W ...[text shortened]... u don't score like that against the 1980s WI attack!

Hi BOTT

I make it a rule to not comment on innings if I haven't seen them. From what I did see and read about Warners Innings, Pakistan bowled very poorly to him, then tried to defend rather than attack him. A few years ago you could get Warner out by drying up the boundaries and he'd go really stupid at one, but not anymore.
It's a nice problem to have, but Warner really should start converting some of these 100's into really big scores. He gets out just after 100 so many times.

Renshaw - looks like an Australian, bats like a Yorkshireman. Fantastic temperament for such a young guy, plays his game and plays it well. A lot of batsmen around the world could learn a thing or two from this bloke.

Pakistan - ludicrous bowling and tactics again. Where has the side that smashed Australia in the UAE and played so well against England in England gone ? Churchill's Russia quote so aptly describes Pakistan - "I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; ...." Sounds like Pakistan cricket to me.

Meanwhile, Sri Lanka are having a shocker in South Africa.
That de Kock is some player. Like ABdV and Sangakkara before him though, I reckon he will give up the gloves and focus solely on batting before long. Doing both drags you down in Test Cricket, and of course, guys like Dujon and Gilchrist always had extremely good batsmen ahead of them for their entire careers whereas the aforementioned players did/do/won't .....

Moves
04 Jan 17

Hi BOTT

I make it a rule to not comment on innings if I haven't seen them. From what I did see and read about Warners Innings, Pakistan bowled very poorly to him, then tried to defend rather than attack him. A few years ago you could get Warner out by drying up the boundaries and he'd go really stupid at one, but not anymore.
It's a nice problem t ...[text shortened]... men ahead of them for their entire careers whereas the aforementioned players did/do/won't .....
Hi, my friend

Just stayed up to watch another very solid Aussie session

What to say? You must be really pleasevd with your Brit ( young renners) and Handscombe. As you say, Pakistan bowling is pants, but you will not score as you are against a class attack

They looked better in england last summer, but look tired and fed up now!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
05 Jan 17

Hi Bob

Fantastic knock. Always liked W ...[text shortened]... u don't score like that against the 1980s WI attack!

Yeah,I saw a match from like 30 years ago. S.Waugh made 75 in like 160 balls in the 2nd innings, which I thought was kinda slow. Then I saw the top-scorer from 1st innings. Dean Jones . 170 odd in 460 balls!!!
And to think some people in Adelaide were booing Renshaw for being slow (he made the same score as Jones in about 250 balls)

rc

Moves
05 Jan 17
1 edit

Hi Bob

No Wasim Akram, No Shoaib Akhtar, No Waqar Younis! The sons of the soil shall come good though!

High Class Blunderer

On a train somewhere

Moves
06 Jan 17

Hi, my friend

Just stayed up to watch another very solid Aussie session

What to say? You must be really pleasevd with your Brit ( young renners) and Handscombe. As you say, Pakistan bowling is pants, but you will not score as you are against a class attack

They looked better in england last summer, but look tired and fed up now!
Must say - very pleased with Renshaw and Handscomb. It's amazing what happens when you pick players in form and who are fit. For far too long Australia was picking players who had been earmarked for selection a long time before they were and then picked when a situation arose, regardless of form. Ferguson, Bailey, both Marsh brothers, Maxwell, Henriques, Maddinson, Cowan, Doolan, Quiney.
Even guys like Rogers and Voges.
Selections just got too muddled and confusing. Thank God we got a fresh start, and players were picked solely on form. There is no way known Rod Marsh would've picked Renshaw. None. He'd have probably picked the same squad again, or gone back to Shaun Marsh.

Pakistan are just tired. Their bowlers haven't figured out Australian conditions at all.