1. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 00:28
    Originally posted by Crowley
    We seriously need some players to take on the bowlers in the middle overs.
    250 was not a par total on that pitch. The Aussies bowled very well to restrict us.

Hell, we can't leave it to Albie every time, lest he go down the Lance Klusener path into obscurity. Lance was the hero a few times, but when he failed to 'win' games for us, people started to get ...[text shortened]... inted. Everybody seems to forget that your top order should win games, not number 7 and up...
    What ever happened to Lance Klusener?
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    19 Jan '09 06:27
    Originally posted by boarman
    What ever happened to Lance Klusener?
    He went back to play for his provincial franchise, then a stint in English county cricket and the ended up at the ICL, I believe...

He had a tiff with Greame Smith at one stage, but I'm not sure if that led to his eventual exclusion from the side.
  3. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 13:20
    Boucher is out with a fractured toe
    Kallis might not be able to bowl due to injury...

Is it going to be Australia Day?
  4. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 10:06
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Boucher is out with a fractured toe
    Kallis might not be able to bowl due to injury...

Is it going to be Australia Day?
    Ummm............
    No, we were biatch slapped and called Susan.
    South Africa Smacked eight kinds of poo out of us to win the one day series. The way they have chased all summer in both tests and one day-ers was just a great effort and great cricket.
  5. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 18:43
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    Ummm............
    No, we were biatch slapped and called Susan.
    South Africa Smacked eight kinds of poo out of us to win the one day series. The way they have chased all summer in both tests and one day-ers was just a great effort and great cricket.
    It was very good cricket and good for the game, too. Now there's more than one contender for the top spots being Tests and ODI. Of course, the Indians reckon they're now the best but that's pie in the sky until they show they can win overseas. The South Africans have.
    Friday's the last game in the ODI series and the Aussies have rushed back Bracken and Clarke. All a bit late really. SA will rest a number of players and give game time for those in thetour party who haven't had a chance to play till now. I expect a reasonably easy win for Aus but it will be meaningless - the series is won.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 19:28
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    It was very good cricket and good for the game, too. Now there's more than one contender for the top spots being Tests and ODI. Of course, the Indians reckon they're now the best but that's pie in the sky until they show they can win overseas. The South Africans have.
    Friday's the last game in the ODI series and the Aussies have rushed back Bracken and ...[text shortened]... now. I expect a reasonably easy win for Aus but it will be meaningless - the series is won.
    Who knows, maybe Vaughn smashes a debut hundred with now pressure on him?
  7. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 19:18
    Who knows, maybe Vaughn smashes a debut hundred with now pressure on him?
    Now, wouldn't that be the clincher? Do the Australians have anyone waiting in the wings for captaincy? I wouldn't like to be Ponting if that happens and I notice there's been no call for his head. I see nobody who is both fit and capable. Personally, I vote for Symonds 8-)
  8. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 09:58
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    Now, wouldn't that be the clincher? Do the Australians have anyone waiting in the wings for captaincy? I wouldn't like to be Ponting if that happens and I notice there's been no call for his head. I see nobody who is both fit and capable. Personally, I vote for Symonds 8-)
    Michael Clark is knocking at the door
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 14:04
    Michael Clark is knocking at the door
    I can't believe I never rated him well. He's a seriously classy player.
  10. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 09:33
    I can't believe I never rated him well. He's a seriously classy player.
    He is just going to get better too.
  11. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 10:47
    He is just going to get better too.
    Just not today. Out for 0 off 4.
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 22:35
    Well done boys! Now we just need to duplicate these performances over here... 😕
  13. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 23:32
    Well done boys! Now we just need to duplicate these performances over here... 😕
    Pencil this name in as a player of the future , or possibly a bolter to tour South Africa.

Phillip Hughes
  14. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    31 Jan '09 02:57
    Pencil this name in as a player of the future , or possibly a bolter to tour South Africa.

Phillip Hughes
    Hughes would be a good test opener along with Katich, both in good sheffield shield form.
    Stuart Clark is out of the return tour to S.A.
    All summer long our senior players did not really put in, except say Ponting and Clarke, and our new guys have not learned that they are Australian cricketers now and have nuts of steel and can do miracles on the field.
    I would have to say that South Africa is top of both test and one day cricket, as India cant seem to win away from home.
    We have come back to the field now, but just wait untill the new kids have learned their trade and we will hand ALL your heads back to you on a platter in about three to four years time.
    Inthe meantime, at least most of the tests will be even so should be good watching.
    Come on the Ashes tour too, the English have been getting chirpy in the press and need a pounding.
  15. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 20:24
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    Hughes would be a good test opener along with Katich, both in good sheffield shield form.
    Stuart Clark is out of the return tour to S.A.
    All summer long our senior players did not really put in, except say Ponting and Clarke, and our new guys have not learned that they are Australian cricketers now and have nuts of steel and can do miracles on the fiel ...[text shortened]... me on the Ashes tour too, the English have been getting chirpy in the press and need a pounding.
    I've been thinking about this because I've been a bit puzzled myself about the catastrophic failure of Aus in the latest ODI. I truly didn't expect it but Australia got walloped again by South Africa in the final ODI to win the series. This was with Aus's best available players and truly SA's second-string team, where a bunch of players were rested and with two debutantes - both bowlers and one just 19.
    Firstly, a brief match summary:
    SA for the first time in the ODI series won the toss and opened the batted. Started off slowly, lost some key players early, yet were able to get the runs ticking over in the middle of the game, gained in confidence, picked up momentum and were able to kick on in the latter stages to post a strong and challenging 288/6.
    Aus never got started, failing early to be 53/4. Warner was unlucky to be 4th man out. He was run out backing up but these things happen. The remaining batsmen set about rebuilding but it was always going to a formidable task and Aus fell short. All out for 249 in 49 overs.
    This is an amazing ODI series win. Not just for the fact that the South Africans didn't come with high hopes - they had their sights set on the Test series. They're a "developing" team and the team which won this last game certainly had lots less caps than the Australians. In fact, the most the three front-line bowlers had between them was 18 caps. I thought this was the soft underbelly – yet they beat Australia who fielded as full a strength team as they could.
    For me, the excuse of "rebuilding" in the Australian team doesn't really hold water and we've got to look to other reasons for their failure in both the Tests and the ODIs. What are these?
    Firstly, let's contrast with what's right in the SA team. They're settled, they're united, they have great spirit, they have excellent support structures, they know where they stand in the team – what their roles are and where they fit in – and they had a plan. I think they're exceptionally well organised. They also know they have to work hard to get there.
    As for Australia, I don't see unity. I see a bunch of individuals trying their best but without structure, not playing to a plan and without team spirit. In this series, I've seen egotism and a bunch of players thrown together, expecting them to make a team – because they're the best, da**it! Blame the selection process (note the word process) for that. "Rebuilding" is a poor excuse, because the planning hasn't been there.
    I would also question Ponting's captaincy. Not on the field (and there have been questions asked there, too), but off the field. He hasn't struck me as a leader. In his interviews he mouths too many inanities, he brings nothing as an individual and a leader to the party. I can't see the person behind the eyes and the words. He inherited a great team without having to work for it and when the greats have gone, he really doesn't have much to offer in terms of leadership. The captain brings the team together and I can't see he's done that. Don't get me wrong – he deserves to be in the team, but I think captaincy in a time of crisis is beyond him. It's time for a fresh approach.
    I'll certainly never write Australia off and they certainly aren't down and out, but they desperately need to review the culture of entitlement among certain players, the selection process, management structure and the captaincy.

Agreed: India need to win away to prove they're the best and England, as always, are talking a big game. They'll fail, of course. In the meantime, I can bask in the soft afterglow of South Africa's successes 8-)
    What we've also done is shown that we have young, emerging talent and can slot them into the team where they perform. Australia couldn't achieve that, which was why SA won both the Test and ODI series.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree