1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 12:322 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think you are overlooking something here. Coach Tressel at OSU is approaching legendary status if not there already. He has had but a short tenure and has already beaten the only consistently good team in the Big Ten who is Michigan something like 5 out of 6 times and has been in two NC games while winning one in 2002. Today he set a Big Ten record by be ill you treat it as you do the 2002 NC win by merely dismissing it as though it never happened?
    What "bias" against the Big Ten? I present facts like no Big Ten team has beaten a single over .500 team from a BCS Conference this year and you present claptrap like Tressel's "legendary" status? Hilarious. Your memory is very short; you admitted the Big Ten was inferior to other conferences like the SEC after the bowl drubbings of last year; would you like me to find those quotes?

What happened in 2002 has no bearing on how strong a conference is this year.

EDIT: whodey: After much travail I have come to the conclusion that the Big Ten is simply an inferior conference and here is why.

January 10, 2007
    "OSU and Florida" thread

EDIT2: You were singing a different tune about "legendary" Coach Tressel on January 10th in the "Big Ten ..PFFT!" thread:

whodey: What troubles me more than anything, however, is that I am beginning to question Tressel's coaching abilities.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 16:51
    The Big 10 bashing is a joke. Despite playing in southern cities the Big 10 head to head vs. the SEC won two of three bowl games Penn State beat Tennessee and Wisconsin beat Arkansas. The fact is Ohio State has one twenty straight conference games (including games against teams that beat good SEC teams), won in Texas last year. They played poorly in one game against Florida last year. It cost them a national championship but over the past 2+ years they are the best team in college football and rightfully are ranked as such.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 16:54
    Originally posted by myteamtrulystinks
    The Big 10 bashing is a joke. Despite playing in southern cities the Big 10 head to head vs. the SEC won two of three bowl games Penn State beat Tennessee and Wisconsin beat Arkansas. The fact is Ohio State has one twenty straight conference games (including games against teams that beat good SEC teams), won in Texas last year. They played poorly ...[text shortened]... the past 2+ years they are the best team in college football and rightfully are ranked as such.
    Selective stats. The Big Ten went 2-5 in bowl games last year including their two best getting crushed. When Ohio State beats somebody, let me know.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 16:571 edit
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:01
    sorry the colums did not come out
    '06 B10 2-1
    PSU 20 Tenn 10
    Wisc 17 Ark 14
    UF 41 OSU 14 (that is the only game some people count)

'05 split
    Wisc 24 Aub 10
    UF 31 Iowa 14

'04 B10 2-1
    Iowa 30 LSU 25
    Minn 20 Bama 16
    UGA 24 Wisc 21

'03 SEC 2-1
    Iowa 37 Florida 17
    UGA 34 Pur 27
    Aub 28 Wisc 14

'02 B10 2-1
    Mich 30 Fl 30
    Aub 13 PSU 9
    Minn 29 Ark 14

Hardly SEC domination in games played down south.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:071 edit
    sorry the colums did not come out
    '06 B10 2-1
    PSU 20 Tenn 10
    Wisc 17 Ark 14
    UF 41 OSU 14 (that is the only game some people count)

'05 split
    Wisc 24 Aub 10
    UF 31 Iowa 14

'04 B10 2-1
    Iowa 30 LSU 25
    Minn 20 Bama 16
    UGA 24 Wisc 21

'03 SEC 2-1
    Iowa 37 Florida 17
    UGA 34 Pur 27
    Aub 28 Wisc 14

'02 B10 2-1
    Mich 30 Fl 30
    Aub 13 PSU 9
    Minn 29 Ark 14

Hardly SEC domination in games played down south.
    Let's look at the BIG PICTURE:

The conference [Big Ten] has produced one winning bowl season since 1999, going 20-27 in postseason games the past seven seasons combined.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview07/columns/story?id=2984164

The stats don't lie; the Big Ten is an inferior conference and has been for many years - only 2 national champions in the last 39 years. Cherry picking a few games can't hide the overall trends and they are all bad for the Meek Ten.

EDIT: For the record:

SEC vs Big Ten Head-to-Head Football Record

The SEC leads the Big Ten with a 63-45-2 all-time record.

The SEC has a .582 winning percentage versus the Big Ten.

http://www.secsportsfan.com/bigtenseccomp.html
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:32
    The Big 10 has beaten the SEC head to head in the past five years. Those games are slotted based on standings in conference. That directly refutes your argument that the Big 10 is rank only for nostalgic purposes.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 17:401 edit
    The Big 10 has beaten the SEC head to head in the past five years. Those games are slotted based on standings in conference. That directly refutes your argument that the Big 10 is rank only for nostalgic purposes.
    Hardly, it only shows that some Big Fraud teams have had some limited success against the SEC. You are trying to ignore the lousy bowl record of the Big Ten over the last 7 years AND their inability to win national titles AND their overall losing record against the SEC AND the fact that no Big Ten team this year has a win over a .500+ BCS conference team. Those FACTS far outweigh a few scattered games over 5 years.

Care to tell me what the Big Ten's record against Pac-10 teams is in the same years?

EDIT: What makes this even more ridiculous is that I haven't claimed any SEC team should be rated above Ohio State. Guess you missed that.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 03:211 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What "bias" against the Big Ten? I present facts like no Big Ten team has beaten a single over .500 team from a BCS Conference this year and you present claptrap like Tressel's "legendary" status? Hilarious. Your memory is very short; you admitted the Big Ten was inferior to other conferences like the SEC after the bowl drubbings of last year; would you anything, however, is that I am beginning to question Tressel's coaching abilities.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the SEC on average is better than the Big Ten. However, I would say that coach Tressel owns the cream of the crop in the Big Ten and this is due mainly to his coaching and recruiting abilities.

I do not deny having questioned coach Tressels ability after their last bowl game. I was simply unaccustomed to such a bashing and had not experienced one since Iowa beat them in a regular season game 30 to nothing. Also I was angry. I traveled all the way down to Arizona to watch them all not even show up to play. In a way, I am still perplexed by their showing. They either did not prepare or play like they should have or they were simply that bad. I think when OSU plays LSU we will get a better picture of the truth. Was this just an isolated occurance or is the best in the Big Ten really that bad. Only time will tell. However, what I find unforgivable is your inability to give Tressel the credit he deserves for his NC in 2002.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 13:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    Don't get me wrong, I think the SEC on average is better than the Big Ten. However, I would say that coach Tressel owns the cream of the crop in the Big Ten and this is due mainly to his coaching and recruiting abilities.

I do not deny having questioned coach Tressels ability after their last bowl game. I was simply unaccustomed to such a bashing and had ...[text shortened]... find unforgivable is your inability to give Tressel the credit he deserves for his NC in 2002.
    Tressel deserves credit for his win in 2002 (although a very questionable interference call helped, but that's football). I never said he didn't; I simply said that one game in 2002 isn't terribly relevant to the strength of conferences in college football in 2007.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:16
    I am glad to see Kansas finally getting some credit; they moved up from 8th to 4th in the BCS ratings after smashing Nebraska. I read an article in USA Today which states that no undefeated team from an automatic bid BCS conference has ever been left out of the championship game in favor of a 1 loss team. The Jayhawks have a rough schedule and would have to beat #6 Missouri and probably #5 Oklahoma, but if they do so I think they will make the BCS Championship game even if LSU and OSU win out.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:31
    I don't think all Kansas, Ohio State and LSU will go undefeated the rest of the way. But, it seems like your undefeated BCS argument would support Kansas - Ohio State.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 15:42
    I don't think all Kansas, Ohio State and LSU will go undefeated the rest of the way. But, it seems like your undefeated BCS argument would support Kansas - Ohio State.
    The way college football has been this year I wouldn't be surprised if they ALL lost a game or two down the stretch. Oregon actually has the easiest schedule left and I think there's a good chance they wind up in the BCS Championship Game (they, like Ohio State, also have the advantage of not having to play a league championship game).
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:08
    I don't think Kansas gets by both Missouri and OU, especially OU. I don't think LSU will lose another game. I presume OSU will beat their arch rivals in Ann Arbor, and if all of that happens, LSU will play OSU and Oregon State will be the bride's maid.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:14
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I don't think Kansas gets by both Missouri and OU, especially OU. I don't think LSU will lose another game. I presume OSU will beat their arch rivals in Ann Arbor, and if all of that happens, LSU will play OSU and Oregon State will be the bride's maid.
    It's Oregon, not Oregon State; guess you really follow NCAA football closely so your expert opinion is a great help to us all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree