1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:161 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's Oregon, not Oregon State; guess you really follow NCAA football closely so your expert opinion is a great help to us all.
    Actaully I was focused on Ohio State and inadvertanly said Oregon State. You are correct on that point, but LSU vs OSU (Ohio State, not Oklahoma State) will be in the title game.

*my opinion hasn't varied in weeks either, but some of yours have*
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:19
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Actaully I was focused on Ohio State and inadvertanly said Oregon State. You are correct on that point, but LSU vs OSU (Ohio State, not Oklahoma State) will be in the title game.

*my opinion hasn't varied in weeks either, but some of yours have*
    For example?
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:19
    For example?
    Boston College???
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:20
    For example?
    Arizona State?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:23
    Arizona State?
    no1: If Arizona State wins this week at Oregon, they deserve #1.

No, my opinion didn't change at all. Notice the word "IF".
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:28
    no1: If Arizona State wins this week at Oregon, they deserve #1.

No, my opinion didn't change at all. Notice the word "IF".
    So your opinion has as much bearing as anyone else's and no more, except you have a lesser degree of accuracy. I said what I believe, and IF what I believe comes to pass, the championship game will be LSU vs OSU. That is all. Don't get you nose out of joint because my opinion differs from yours. The fact is that in this day and time the upsets are more rampant than ever. It is like tap dancing through a mine field.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 16:44
    So your opinion has as much bearing as anyone else's and no more, except you have a lesser degree of accuracy. I said what I believe, and IF what I believe comes to pass, the championship game will be LSU vs OSU. That is all. Don't get you nose out of joint because my opinion differs from yours. The fact is that in this day and time the upsets are more rampant than ever. It is like tap dancing through a mine field.
    I never said Arizona State was going to beat Oregon, but if you think you have more accuracy because OSU and LSU beat weaker opponents (though still respectable teams esp. in Alabama's case), go ahead. I never quite made up my mind about how to pick the game; I (like virtually everybody else in the East) only saw ASU one time though their performance against Cal was impressive. The main thing I've been saying is that other undefeateds should be rated higher than OSU and certainly higher than once beaten LSU.

Having thought about it a bit though, I'm guessing that some of the ratings are based on expectations of what will happen in the future and not totally on what has happened earlier in this year. Thus, I suppose most experts don't expect Kansas to win out so they feel comfortable in ranking them lower then their performance to date deserves. The only problem with this is that many voters in the polls are reluctant to drop a team late in the year unless they lose. The smart money is now on OSU and LSU winning out and no one else staying unbeaten, so it could very well happen just as you say. If it does, I think we'll get another blowout; OSU just doesn't have the offense to stay with LSU.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 19:48
    I never said Arizona State was going to beat Oregon, but if you think you have more accuracy because OSU and LSU beat weaker opponents (though still respectable teams esp. in Alabama's case), go ahead. I never quite made up my mind about how to pick the game; I (like virtually everybody else in the East) only saw ASU one time though their performance aga ...[text shortened]... es, I think we'll get another blowout; OSU just doesn't have the offense to stay with LSU.
    Who said the best team has to be undefeated? No one I have ever heard of. The best team can have an off week. LSU certainly fits this category this year.

There can be undefeated teams who couldn't beat several teams with lesser records, but were undefeated because of an easy schedule or a fluke. Boston College and Arizona State both fit that category this year.

The National Champion is not always indicative of the best team in the nation. USC had a claim to that when they were the brides maid in the title game three years ago.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 20:57
    Actually it is the other way around who said the national championship has to be the best team. The national champion is the team that had the best year, not necessarily a great team that took some time off and now feels like playing because it is the playoffs. The greatest thing about college football is if you lose any week (and for my team it was week #1) you could lose it all. Every game matters.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 21:51
    Based on everything I have seen this year, there is no reason to think LSU would blow out Ohio state.
  11. Joined
    06 Nov '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 21:592 edits
    yh NC should be among teams that have worked hard to acquire their ranking. Like LSU and Oregon. Not a joke team like OSU or Arizona State. As far as Kansas is concerned, i haven't seen their name being tossed around a whole lot. If sports analysts are overlooking your team, they must have a reason why? Comparatively, i have seen Hawaii, and i must say they are impressive within the WAC, but outside of the WAC, they wouldn't even be considered a mediocre team. Wouldnt u guys agree?

EDIT: Hawaii is a joke team, sorry i forgot to include hawaii in my joke team category.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '07 22:17
    how exactly is ohio state a joke and hawaii not?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 13:11
    Originally posted by jofaz
    Based on everything I have seen this year, there is no reason to think LSU would blow out Ohio state.
    I suppose you saw no reason why Florida should blow out OSU last year either. Quite simply, OSU's offense isn't strong enough to score sufficient points against a top flight SEC team, while LSU will score at least 28 (and probably more) against OSU's defense which, has last year showed, can't handle speed in the skill positions.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 13:13
    Originally posted by poundlee
    Actually it is the other way around who said the national championship has to be the best team. The national champion is the team that had the best year, not necessarily a great team that took some time off and now feels like playing because it is the playoffs. The greatest thing about college football is if you lose any week (and for my team it was week #1) you could lose it all. Every game matters.
    I agree completely with this sentiment. And if you're losing games and somebody else isn't, by what right can you claim that you deserve a shot at the championship and they don't?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 13:171 edit
    Who said the best team has to be undefeated? No one I have ever heard of. The best team can have an off week. LSU certainly fits this category this year.

There can be undefeated teams who couldn't beat several teams with lesser records, but were undefeated because of an easy schedule or a fluke. Boston College and Arizona State both fit that categor ...[text shortened]... tion. USC had a claim to that when they were the brides maid in the title game three years ago.
    You continue to be ridiculous. BC beat a top ten team; was that a fluke?

Some people just decide who they think is the best team and the results don't matter. But that's no way to decide a Championship; LSU lost and Kansas hasn't. They both play in BCS automatic conferences. Who deserves the shot at this point is obvious and it ain't LSU.

EDIT: Maybe OSU should have been declared the Champion last year because their loss in the BCS Championship was just an "off day".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree