1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 16:391 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    There are 2 nice open spots for soccer. Hockey and NBA stink.

In 5 years, will soccer replace one of them? Hmmm?

My answer....

No.

Why? Soccer stinks.

P-
    I want to make it clear to our foreign readers that Phlabs opinions about Soccer don't reflect those of the vast majority of his compatriots.

Soccer is the fastest growing sport here in the US and while many still agree with Phlabs assessment, their numbers are declining steadily.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the US doesn't care about Soccer or that we don't produce an ever increasing number of world class players.

This isn't 1970 anymore and the US landscape has changed drastically.
  2. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 17:02
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I want to make it clear to our foreign readers that Phlabs opinions about Soccer don't reflect those of the vast majority of his compatriots.

Soccer is the fastest growing sport here in the US and while many still agree with Phlabs assessment, their numbers are declining steadily.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the US doesn't care about Soccer o ...[text shortened]... rld class players.

This isn't 1970 anymore and the US landscape has changed drastically.
    Actually, soccer was the fastest growing sport in the US, but in the last few years it has been overtaken by lacrosse.

As a lifelong (and long life) soccer player and fan, I can tell you that Americans do love soccer, but the MLS is boring soccer. I would much rather miss work to watch a UEFA game than watch a MLS game during primetime and I don't think Beckham will change that.

It's like watching World League (American) Football or watching the NFL.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 17:33
    or that we don't produce an ever increasing number of world class players.
    😕
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 02:02
    Originally posted by CliffLandin
    Actually, soccer was the fastest growing sport in the US, but in the last few years it has been overtaken by lacrosse.

As a lifelong (and long life) soccer player and fan, I can tell you that Americans do love soccer, but the MLS is boring soccer. I would much rather miss work to watch a UEFA game than watch a MLS game during primetime and I don't thi ...[text shortened]... will change that.

It's like watching World League (American) Football or watching the NFL.
    I sort of agree with you. Particularly about watching some of the foreign games over the MLS games.

However, the MLS is a pretty good league. Better than the old NASL.
    Maybe we haven't given it enough of a chance. It's pretty good soccer.

Beckham won't raise the quality of play, but he should raise the level of attention.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 02:03
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    😕
    What are there 13 US players in the Premier League?

We came into the last World Cup ranked 5th in the world?

We were the only team in the last cup to play and not lose to Italy.
  6. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 04:361 edit
    $250 Mil... Wasted money. Beckham is and always will be an overated player.

And Victoria Beckham is about as attractive as those buffalo you see on Discovery which are dying of starvation. Seriously, anyone who spends that much money on her appearance and still ends up looking worse is officially a “minger”.
  7. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 05:51
    Originally posted by Esoteric
    $250 Mil... Wasted money. Beckham is and always will be an overated player.

And Victoria Beckham is about as attractive as those buffalo you see on Discovery which are dying of starvation. Seriously, anyone who spends that much money on her appearance and still ends up looking worse is officially a “minger”.
    His contract is only for around 6,000,000 - but his endorsements, including 50% of jersey sales is supposedly worth 50,000,000 - I find that quite hard to believe.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 09:451 edit
    Beckham won't raise the quality of play, but he should raise the level of attention.
    I hope you're right but I fear he won't do it for the good reasons. Beckham isn't one of those players that are a beauty to watch (IMO) and only when he scores a scorcher from free kicks is he able to lift a crowd.

I hope his over hyping doesn't work against "soccer"'s popularity. If Americans start to think that's the best "soccer" has to offer, it's only natural they'll shy away from it.
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 10:231 edit
    What are there 13 US players in the Premier League?

We came into the last World Cup ranked 5th in the world?

We were the only team in the last cup to play and not lose to Italy.
    There are a lot of players in the premier league. Very few of them can be considered to be close to 'wrold class', and none of those are american.

How a team performs is not the best indicator of the quality of its individuals. A draw against Italy does not give any information about how many, if any, of the US's team are 'world class'.

But maybe for a little fun you would like to name the 'world class' US stars that can be considered equals to Ronaldinho, Zidane, Maldini, etc.? Also tell us about the ones that are adding to this 'ever increasing number' as you put it.
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 10:52
    But maybe for a little fun you would like to name the 'world class' US stars that can be considered equals to Ronaldinho, Zidane, Maldini, etc.? Also tell us about the ones that are adding to this 'ever increasing number' as you put it.
    Not that I want to appear to be supporting US soccer, but I'll pre-empt the obvious response by asking exactly how many English players can be considered equals to Ronaldinho, Zidane and Maldini?
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 11:07
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Not that I want to appear to be supporting US soccer, but I'll pre-empt the obvious response by asking exactly how many English players can be considered equals to Ronaldinho, Zidane and Maldini?
    That subject is for another thread.
  12. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 16:33
    There are a lot of players in the premier league. Very few of them can be considered to be close to 'wrold class', and none of those are american.

How a team performs is not the best indicator of the quality of its individuals. A draw against Italy does not give any information about how many, if any, of the US's team are 'world class'.

But maybe f ...[text shortened]... tell us about the ones that are adding to this 'ever increasing number' as you put it.
    The US doesn't have any players who are the equals of Ronaldinho, Zidane, or Maldini. Neither does England.

2 of those three won't play in the next world cup.

The US's best player is probably McBride, but by the next world cup it may be Convey.

Sir Alex Ferguson has called Freddie Adu the best young player in the world.

World Class? Howard, Hahnemann, and Keller.
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 17:08

The US's best player is probably........
    Eddie Gavin
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 23:191 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Eddie Gavin
    ???? You think? He's young. I wouldn't have picked him as our best player.

Eddie Johnson, maybe.
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 23:32
    ???? You think? He's young. I wouldn't have picked him as our best player.

Eddie Johnson, maybe.
    Well I haven't seen that many of them but I saw him play a few times last year - he must be one of the best.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree