1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 00:30
    For me it has to be Brian Clough...
    Titles with two different teams, and 2x European Cups with an unfashionable side, who 3 years earlier were in the 2nd Division...
    Excelled in getting the very best out of some mediocre players.

The man was a master motivator, told it how it was, and should've had the England job.

RIP Cloughie!
  2. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 00:33
    Originally posted by blade68
    For me it has to be Brian Clough...
    Titles with two different teams, and 2x European Cups with an unfashionable side, who 3 years earlier were in the 2nd Division...
    Excelled in getting the very best out of some mediocre players.

The man was a master motivator, told it how it was, and should've had the England job.

RIP Cloughie!
    He did make one mistake, going to the wrong side of the Trent to look for work. 😉
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 07:25
    Mourinho and/or Capello.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 07:48
    Arrrggh, when I read the thread title I thought it was about the PC game.

Any fans here who care to compare Championship Manager, Total Club
    Manager, and the others?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 08:13
    You wanna know who's the best football manager? Its me!
  6. where angels play
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 08:45
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Mourinho and/or Capello.
    Please tell me how you came to the conclusion that Jose mourinho is the greatest manager of all time?
    For me he is the scurge of english fooball, a cheat, a brat, no manners and no class and now he is trying to pollute the greatest club competiton in the world with the same disease he has spread through the english premiership.

To even mention him in the same thread as true greats like Clough, Shankly, Paisley, and it pains me to say it but Sir Alex ferguson is an insult to football.
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 08:53
    Herbert Chapman. Three teams have one the English championship three times in a row. He created two of them.
  8. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 09:08
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Herbert Chapman. Three teams have one the English championship three times in a row. He created two of them.
    A fair call, but pre war football can hardly be compared to modern day can it?
    Chapmans teams wouldn't have survived in The Prem.
  9. where angels play
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 09:20
    Bob Paisley.If greatness is judged by success then he is head and shoulders above anyone
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 09:48
    Originally posted by blade68
    A fair call, but pre war football can hardly be compared to modern day can it?
    Chapmans teams wouldn't have survived in The Prem.
    Of course they wouldn't, but that's not relevant. You work with what you've got. Teams in the future will probably be even better (in terms of athleticism etc), but it won't detract from Ferguson/Wenger/whoever's achievements now.
  11. Joined
    11 May '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 10:23
    Sven-Göran Eriksson. To take a C-national team to three quarter-finals in a row must count for something.
  12. Joined
    26 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 11:56
    Originally posted by marinville
    Sven-Göran Eriksson. To take a C-national team to three quarter-finals in a row must count for something.
    boom boom
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 16:36
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    Please tell me how you came to the conclusion that Jose mourinho is the greatest manager of all time?
    For me he is the scurge of english fooball, a cheat, a brat, no manners and no class and now he is trying to pollute the greatest club competiton in the world with the same disease he has spread through the english premiership.

To even mention hi ...[text shortened]... ugh, Shankly, Paisley, and it pains me to say it but Sir Alex ferguson is an insult to football.
    Managers nowadays are far better than before. Managing has evolved into something close to a science. If business schools teach management and the theory of management evolves, it's fair to say that managers today are better equipped to do their jobs.

That said, Mourinho is on the forefront of such managers. His analysis of the opposition teams is thorough and he plans the games accordingly and efficiently. Not only that, he prepares his players mentally extremely well and the regularity of Chelsea (and Porto before) is there to prove it.

Knowing his career from the times when he was Robson's assistant and seeing his debut as manager on a professional level and following his career, I can safely say that he is the most impressive coach I've seen in football, on par maybe only with Capello.

That you don't like him personally or because of reasons not related to his managing skills is of no consequence to his ability, only to your perception of it.
  14. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 17:13
    Good points Sally Cinnamon, but he has to prove himself over a period of time surely before you can claim him as 'The Greatest'?
    He worked wonders at Porto, but has been given the equivalent of Mexico's national debt in order to win things at Chelski... I believe an average Manager could have done what he's done at Stamford Bridge given the same resources... Dalglish was an average Manager and won the Prem with Blackburn 'cos Uncle Jack gave him millions.

If he wins the CL with Chelsea, and a few more Prem titles he's getting there, but at the moment, he's behind Fergie...

I'm not disputing his potential - it now needs fulfilling.
  15. Joined
    25 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 17:18
    alf ramsay

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree