1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 17:10
    Originally posted by Doyle78
    He deserves all the praise he gets. 4 0 down against ten men and he responds with a second half hat trick. This not only shows he has great ability but also that he has a strong character too. The English must be sick, first they missed out on Giggsy and now the Welsh have produced another left sided gem.
    I always said there was something sinister about Wales.
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 02:02
    Originally posted by infomast
    Perhaps, Rubin will be able to win, finally. But, even then they won't have much of a chance.
    how nice to read posts by other europen club fans then the usual muppets like 'Reg'and 'Trevor33' the Man u idiots and that waste of space livepoo fan 'angrygirl', who bore us with their 'my club is bigger then your club' posts.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 12:19
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Copenhagen (FCK) played in the CHL in 2006/2007 by beating Ajax in Amsterdam 2-0. In the group stage FCK beat Man U and Celtic at home, but lost all the away games and finished 4th with 7 points. The last couple of years FCK have been doing well in the Europa League, but even if beating Sparta Prague and CFR Cluj could have happened in the CHL, it still isn't ...[text shortened]... be worth it. Still Russia is 6th in the UEFA rankings so you guys are doing something right. 🙂
    Russia were (😏...for now) 6th because of their calendar. They hit the first matches on peak form and qualify en masse to group stages thus earning a lot of points. Come knockouts they usually get pummelled.

If anything, I think changing calender will hurt their ranking because more teams will lose early and make it harder for them to qualify to group stages.
  4. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 17:12
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Russia were (😏...for now) 6th because of their calendar. They hit the first matches on peak form and qualify en masse to group stages thus earning a lot of points. Come knockouts they usually get pummelled.

If anything, I think changing calender will hurt their ranking because more teams will lose early and make it harder for them to qualify to group stages.
    The Russian top 6-7 teams have a fairly large amount of money and some pretty good players. Zenit especially. Those teams should be good enough to qualify even without having started their season. At least to qualify in to the group stages of the EL. The champions league is much tougher. Number 1 would be directly qualified, but the second best (and third?) still have to compete against the second team in England, Spain, Germany and Italy.

In the knockout stages most teams from outside the big four leagues (except Lyon) normally gets pummeled. I don't know if the Russian league is 6th in Europe, but after the English, Spanish, German, Italian, and French, it certainly could be. Maybe the Portuguese or the Dutch are better? But certainly not the Greek, Scottish, Swiss or one of the other Eastern European leagues.
  5. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 03:28
    Copenhagen (FCK) played in the CHL in 2006/2007 by beating Ajax in Amsterdam 2-0. In the group stage FCK beat Man U and Celtic at home, but lost all the away games and finished 4th with 7 points. The last couple of years FCK have been doing well in the Europa League, but even if beating Sparta Prague and CFR Cluj could have happened in the CHL, it still isn't ...[text shortened]... be worth it. Still Russia is 6th in the UEFA rankings so you guys are doing something right. 🙂
    It appears that this will be a historic season for FCK. May be they can go even further into the playoffs (but that will require beating some top European club).
  6. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 03:30
    Originally posted by spurs73
    how nice to read posts by other europen club fans then the usual muppets like 'Reg'and 'Trevor33' the Man u idiots and that waste of space livepoo fan 'angrygirl', who bore us with their 'my club is bigger then your club' posts.
    They do have some bigger bragging rights, though.
  7. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 03:34

I somewhat disagree with this, although it's a possibility. The motivation for the calendar change is for more success in Europe. If at least two clubs make it out of group stages, it'd be great.
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 03:38
    The Russian top 6-7 teams have a fairly large amount of money and some pretty good players. Zenit especially. Those teams should be good enough to qualify even without having started their season. At least to qualify in to the group stages of the EL. The champions league is much tougher. Number 1 would be directly qualified, but the second best (and third?) s ...[text shortened]... ter? But certainly not the Greek, Scottish, Swiss or one of the other Eastern European leagues.
    CSKA beat Zenit 3-1 on Wednesday. Even though Zenit, probably, has enough points to claim the gold, it was still a big blow for them.

There's much debate in Russia about the strength of its league, and the consensus is that it's about 6th in Europe.
  9. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 09:101 edit
    It appears that this will be a historic season for FCK. May be they can go even further into the playoffs (but that will require beating some top European club).
    It already is a historic season for FCK in the Danish league (13-2-0) so far. And if the team progress in CHL it is considered by many 'experts' to be the best Danish club team ever.

Of the current group leaders, I wouldn't mind seeing FCK play Tottenham. Is that a top European club?

EDIT:
    CSKA beat Zenit 3-1 on Wednesday. Even though Zenit, probably, has enough points to claim the gold, it was still a big blow for them.

Yeah, that was a surprise loss. But three games left (including Rostselmash Rostov and Krylya Sovetov Samara at home) and 6 points ahead. It looks alright for Zenit.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 17:12
    I somewhat disagree with this, although it's a possibility. The motivation for the calendar change is for more success in Europe. If at least two clubs make it out of group stages, it'd be great.
    Depends how you define success. I think it will hurt your ranking, but also that it will give you a better chance at winning a trophy. I'd definitely take the latter, so go for it.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 17:171 edit
    It already is a historic season for FCK in the Danish league (13-2-0) so far. And if the team progress in CHL it is considered by many 'experts' to be the best Danish club team ever.
    I'm guessing those experts are not Brondby supporters. 😛
  12. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 20:25

Of the current group leaders, I wouldn't mind seeing FCK play Tottenham. Is that a top European club?

EDIT:
    [b]CSKA beat Zenit 3-1 o ...[text shortened]... ash Rostov and Krylya Sovetov Samara at home) and 6 points ahead. It looks alright for Zenit.
    Tottenham won't be a pushover. They won today with Pav scoring. Bale, Crouch, Modric, van der Vaart aren't bad. If Spartak makes it, they, along with FCK, will be a preferred opponent to everyone else.

Zenit still has to play Rubin away and if CSKA, somehow, catches Zenit, they'll be champs on a better head-to-head record. (BTW Rostov is just Rostov, they dropped Rostselmash from their name a few years ago).
  13. Joined
    06 Jan '09
    Moves
    14 Nov '10 21:05
    I am dutch
    I live nearby twente where fc twente play,but twente has won with the penaltys from the 2 division 1st FC ZWOLLE
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 11:50
    I don't get all this supposed controversy for the deliberate yellow cards. This has been happening routinely over the years and nobody ever made this much hullabaloo about it.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Nov '10 20:13
    I don't get all this supposed controversy for the deliberate yellow cards. This has been happening routinely over the years and nobody ever made this much hullabaloo about it.
    If you mean the deliberate red cards Mourinho told his players to get against Ajax, it's the sheer contempt it displayed for even the last remaining shreds of fair play. Others may have done it before, but at least they did not showcase so plainly that they do not give the slightest flying copulation for the referee, their opponents, or decent behaviour. It was egregious, and it should be punished egregiously.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree