So... Is Ferguson buying the league?
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    31 May '07 18:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So... Is Ferguson buying the league?
    Lets look at the facts, you might find that approach to be a refreshing change.

Ferguson always has a transfer kitty of about £30 million each year. This is budgeted from the profits of the well run Manchester United business. This is not outside money, nor does it get the club into debt.

Lets look at the transfers since 2005.
    2005, In
    Van Der Sar - maybe £2million
    Park - £4million

Out
    Phil Neville - 3.5
    Kleberson - 2.5
    Original transfer kitty = 30 - 2 - 4 + 3.5 + 2.5 = transfer kitty carried forward of £30million.

2006, In
    Mikel - 1
    Vidic - 7
    Evra - 5.5
    Carrick - 18.6
    Kuszczak - Swap

Out
    Mikel - 12
    Spector - 0.5
    Ruud - 10.5

£30m (carried forward) + 30m (for this summer) - 1 - 7 - 5.5 - 18.6 + 12 + 0.5 + 10.5 = £50.9m to carry forward

Which would give him approximately £80million of a transfer kitty this season. All due to being part of a successful team, both on and off the pitch. The fact of the matter is that this summer we are seeing Ferguson spend the money that he didn't over the past couple of years. It's called being canny in the market. Unlike Mourinho, Ferguson generally doesn't buy high and sell low.

Do you honestly not see the difference in Mourinho effectively getting Chelsea £300m "in debt" and Ferguson operating within the constraints of a profitable business, purchasing according to what the budget allows?

D
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 May '07 19:21
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Do you honestly not see the difference in Mourinho effectively getting Chelsea £300m "in debt" and Ferguson operating within the constraints of a profitable business, purchasing according to what the budget allows?
    Yes, I see a difference. I'll tell you what it is.

Chelsea is like a start-up which needs large investments to lift off the ground and Man United is the incumbent firm needed only fine tuning and the occasional medium investment.

Ferguson is "buying the league" as much as Mourinho did, just that Ferguson had the advantage of time and an established club and Mourinho had to invest large to compete.
  4. LA
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 05:43
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Yes, I see a difference. I'll tell you what it is.

Chelsea is like a start-up which needs large investments to lift off the ground and Man United is the incumbent firm needed only fine tuning and the occasional medium investment.

Ferguson is "buying the league" as much as Mourinho did, just that Ferguson had the advantage of time and an established club and Mourinho had to invest large to compete.
    If Fergie is buying the league by fine tuning and an occasional medium investment, then I think you are being unfair.

You would expect a manager doing a good job to just fine tune, so he's doing things correctly, not buying the league.

Chelsea did need a big startup like you say.
    But this is the 4th pre-season, will Chelsea, fine tune (for the first time) or continue to buy big, we will see over the coming months?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Jun '07 08:05
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    If Fergie is buying the league by fine tuning and an occasional medium investment, then I think you are being unfair.

You would expect a manager doing a good job to just fine tune, so he's doing things correctly, not buying the league.

Chelsea did need a big startup like you say.
    But this is the 4th pre-season, will Chelsea, fine tune (for the first time) or continue to buy big, we will see over the coming months?
    My point was that none of them is buying the league, sorry if I didn't express myself correctly. They're just two different type of investments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree