College football 2008

College football 2008

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 Dec 08

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Obviously you never grasped the correct language usage skills because you should have said "no wins over another BCS team "outside" of the Big 12". Or perhaps "no wins over a non Big 12 BCS participant". Read what you wrote and my interpretation was legitimate regardless of what you "meant to say".

Edit: Since you are a lawyer, I expected a little more from you. Perhaps you aren't a litigator.
Your "interpretation" was moronic. Obviously you're not allowed to play with sharp objects.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
08 Dec 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
Your "interpretation" was moronic. Obviously you're not allowed to play with sharp objects.
Shown he was wrong and he can't defend his arguement so he resorts to name calling....again. How predictable. Give me your address and I will send you a season of Grammar Rock for you to review.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 Dec 08

Shown he was wrong and he can't defend his arguement so he resorts to name calling....again. How predictable. Give me your address and I will send you a season of Grammar Rock for you to review.
Ask your 3rd grade teacher to explain this phrasing to you:

"the entire conference [i.e. the Big 12] doesn't have a single quality win over another BCS conference team".

Noodles you ain't.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
09 Dec 08
1 edit

Ask your 3rd grade teacher to explain this phrasing to you:

"the entire conference [i.e. the Big 12] doesn't have a single quality win over [b]another BCS conference
team".

Noodles you ain't.[/b]
That is not what you said Poindexter. Let me refresh your memory counselor...

It's also funny that besides Oklahoma, the entire conference doesn't have a single quality win over another BCS conference team.

Now, when you see it EXACTLY as you presented it, you will see that you are misrepresenting what you said. I am sure you know what you meant, it is just the rest of the world who read it could have interpreted it the same way that I did. I personally think you screwed up and are trying to weasel out of it on a technicality. However, I don't buy it. I'm tired of arguing with you about it. I realize that you are a legend in your own mind and there won't be any admission of fault of error coming from your clinched jaws. That is okay though, we both know you screwed up, and that is all that matters! 😉

The proper way to phase it to transfer your intended meaning is to say "With the exception of Oklahoma, no other Big 12 team has a win over any BCS team from a conference other than the Big 12." Of course, the fact that no one of consequence in the Big 12 happened to play any of those teams seems to lie more with the schedule makers than with the respective abilities of those teams.

w

Moves
09 Dec 08

Originally posted by quackquack
I am not a fan of either team, but the biggest joke is listening to Texas fans whine. Oklahoma played a tougher schedule than Texas beating both Cincinnati (big east winner) and TCU while Texas played no one. Schedule should always be rewarded. Furthermore since when is a game in your own home state a neutral game.
Cincinnati? I have to admit, every time I hear someone say that Cincinnati is heading for the Orange Bowl I just begin to chuckle to myself. I have to admit though, if there is one team they can beat it might be Virginia Tech. Then again, if asked, I would bet the house that Cincinnati looses that game. I just wish my Buckeyes could face them for an easy win. They often play each other during the regular season and OSU has NEVER lost to them.

Moves
09 Dec 08

I watch the games; the tackling and coverage in the Big 12 is awful. We'll see what these "high octane" offenses do against good defenses in other BCS conferences.
Oregon - Ok. St. should be an interesting indicator of that. 🙂

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
09 Dec 08

Go Gators!!!

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Dec 08

Originally posted by whodey
Cincinnati? I have to admit, every time I hear someone say that Cincinnati is heading for the Orange Bowl I just begin to chuckle to myself. I have to admit though, if there is one team they can beat it might be Virginia Tech. Then again, if asked, I would bet the house that Cincinnati looses that game. I just wish my Buckeyes could face them for an easy win. They often play each other during the regular season and OSU has NEVER lost to them.
Ohio State shouldn't even be in a BCS Bowl; Boise State is higher in both polls and the computer rankings. It looks like the Fiesta was protecting its league from the possibility of another loss to a mid major.

w

Moves
09 Dec 08
1 edit

Ohio State shouldn't even be in a BCS Bowl; Boise State is higher in both polls and the computer rankings. It looks like the Fiesta was protecting its league from the possibility of another loss to a mid major.
I hate to admit it but I think I agree with you. However, neither does Virginia Tech nor Cincinnati belong in a BCS bowl. In fact, OSU belongs there more than both Virginia Tech and Cincinnati combined. These match ups are spun purely on such factors as picking certain conferences to be represented and teams that travel well etc. As with everything else, politics and money snuff out justice for the Boise States of the world.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Dec 08

Originally posted by whodey
I hate to admit it but I think I agree with you. However, neither does Virginia Tech nor Cincinnati belong in a BCS bowl. In fact, OSU belongs there more than both Virginia Tech and Cincinnati combined. These match ups are spun purely on such factors as picking certain conferences to be represented and teams that travel well etc. As with everything else, politics and money snuff out justice for the Boise States of the world.
VT and Cincinnati are in because they won their conferences and the winner of those conferences get automatic bids. Admittedly, it would have been better if these champions had played higher rated teams rather than each other. But the Fiesta (which is linked to the Big 12) got first dibs and instead of picking automatic bid Cincinnati or Utah, it choose to pick a team that was eligible but behind another eligible team in the rankings. The Sugar (which is linked to the SEC) then had to pick either Utah or Cincinnati to play Alabama and determined, reasonably, that Utah was a better match up. That left the Orange (which gets the ACC Champion) with Cincinnati.

The order of preference for the bowls rotate each year, so one bowl doesn't get such a power. Last year, the Rose had first pick and decided to take eligible Illinois because it was a Big Ten team (the Rose, of course, normally gets the Big 10 Champ except when it is eligible for the BCS Championship Game) rather than better teams. This resulted in a predictable mismatch. Ironically, Cincy and VT might be the best game of the bunch as the others all look like probable blowouts.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
09 Dec 08

Originally posted by Eladar

The vegas lines have been released on the game:

Florida is opening up as the dog by 1.5. The line has now moved and now OU is the favorite by 3. I guess alot of people are betting on OU.
The latest line has Florida as a 3 point favorite. What now? Did all of the OU confidence run down the drane?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Dec 08

The latest line has Florida as a 3 point favorite. What now? Did all of the OU confidence run down the drane?
I think he just read it wrong; as far as I can see, Florida opened as a favorite to begin with. There was an interview on ESPN yesterday with OU's WR Iglesias where the commentator specifically asked him what he thought about being an underdog even though his team is #1 rated (of course, so was Alabama). Naturally, he said it was unimportant.

E

Moves
09 Dec 08

You might want to try reading this:

http://www.lines-maker.com/2008/12/florida-oklahoma-sooners-vegas-favorite.html

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
09 Dec 08

The current line in Las Vegas favors Florida by 3. That is what I said and it is accurate.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Dec 08

Originally posted by Eladar
You might want to try reading this:

http://www.lines-maker.com/2008/12/florida-oklahoma-sooners-vegas-favorite.html
The writer of that blog made the same mistake you did.