College Football 2011

College Football 2011

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
05 Dec 11

Originally posted by no1marauder
No he didn't as I already explained. He did not confess error; the facts changed - Oklahoma State's thrashing of Oklahoma is something that he did not have in front of him last week. Thus, saying I would have voted for Alabama as #2 last week but OSU this week based on new information is not a "recantation".
LSU vs Alabama. It will be a good game.

OSU vs Stanford should be a good one as well.

Wisconsin vs Oregon could be decent as well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 11

Originally posted by shortcircuit
LSU vs Alabama. It will be a good game.

OSU vs Stanford should be a good one as well.

Wisconsin vs Oregon could be decent as well.
For LSU v. Alabama, a game that was already played, to be for the so-called "National Championship" is a joke. Hopefully this will lead once and for all to the end of the BCS system.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
05 Dec 11

For LSU v. Alabama, a game that was already played, to be for the so-called "National Championship" is a joke. Hopefully this will lead once and for all to the end of the BCS system.
By the way, did you see how much respect they paid to Boise State's 11-1 record?

Las Vegas Bowl vs 6-5 Arizona State.

Guess somebody saw their schedule.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 11
3 edits

By the way, did you see how much respect they paid to Boise State's 11-1 record?

Las Vegas Bowl vs 6-5 Arizona State.

Guess somebody saw their schedule.
Typical BS. #7 in the BCS. A dominating win over a team that reached the SEC Championship Game as part of its "easy" schedule. Of course, Georgia gets a big time bowl opponent in Michigan State.

TCU barely misses an automatic BCS bid and winds up playing Louisiana Tech in the San Diego County Poinsettia Bowl.

College football corruption at its finest. The Sugar Bowl subbing Boise for two lower rated teams that the Broncos would almost certainly rout is a joke.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
05 Dec 11

Typical BS. #7 in the BCS. A dominating win over a team that reached the SEC Championship Game as part of its "easy" schedule. Of course, Georgia gets a big time bowl opponent in Michigan State.

TCU barely misses an automatic BCS bid and winds up playing Louisiana Tech in the San Diego County Poinsettia Bowl.

College footba ...[text shortened]... ubbing Boise for two lower rated teams that the Broncos would almost certainly rout is a joke.
TCU did get screwed. I think they are better team than Boise and they deserved a better fate.

The one thing you are missing is these sponsors need butts in the seats. Michigan
and VT would bring larger fan bases, more than likely.

Houston vs Penn State should be interesting though.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 11
1 edit

TCU did get screwed. I think they are better team than Boise and they deserved a better fate.

The one thing you are missing is these sponsors need butts in the seats. Michigan
and VT would bring larger fan bases, more than likely.

Houston vs Penn State should be interesting though.
Funny, you complain about Boise State's schedule while omitting such criticism of TCU, but according to Jeff Sagarin and the other computer polls Boise schedule was a bit tougher than TCU's: 69th compared to 85 in the Sagarin's.

It's interesting while the human voters were the ones that anointed Alabama over Oklahoma State (as I predicted 4 of the 6 computer polls had the Cowboys #2), TCU was killed by the computers. Both the Harris and USA-Today polls put TCU at #15 which would have meant an automatic BCS bid (they needed a #16 as a mid-major conference champion). But only two of the computers put them in the top 16, one having them as low as 23rd (the highest #14 and the lowest get kicked, so in the end only 1 of 4 had TCU where it had to be). TCU's biggest problem was SOS but it hard to see a mid-major with two losses ever making it into the BCS under the present system.

q

Moves
05 Dec 11

Teams like Boise and TCU actually have an opportunity to join a conference with an automatic bid so their complaint that the don't have the opportunity to be considered like the AQ school rings hallow if they decline.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 11

Originally posted by quackquack
Teams like Boise and TCU actually have an opportunity to join a conference with an automatic bid so their complaint that the don't have the opportunity to be considered like the AQ school rings hallow if they decline.
Yes any team can join any conference any time they like. 🙄🙄

q

Moves
05 Dec 11

Yes any team can join any conference any time they like. 🙄🙄
Bosie and TCU have gotten invites. If they don't choose to join, then perhaps you can stop complaining about which bowls they go to.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 11
1 edit

Bosie and TCU have gotten invites. If they don't choose to join, then perhaps you can stop complaining about which bowls they go to.
What invites they have gotten in the future has nothing to do with the fact that the Sugar Bowl picked two inferior teams to Boise State according to the BCS rankings and the polls when they had a free choice as to which among the remaining top 16 teams could play. Both Michigan and Virginia Tech would be substantial underdogs to Boise State and I thought you were all in favor of "the best team should play".

As to the future, it seems very possible the Big East will lose its automatic bid after 2013 (when the present BCS agreement expires) as half the conference is already committed to leaving. Boise could very well do better to stay in the Mountain West which might gain the automatic bid the Big East is probably going to lose:

There's only one problem. Barring some unforeseen coup by the Big East, the Chosen Six is about to become the Chosen Five.

The Big East, like the other five AQ conferences, is assured an annual berth through the length of the BCS' current contract, which runs through the 2013 season. After that, there's no guarantee. The BCS will use an evaluation formula to determine whether an additional league like the Mountain West will merit a berth for the next two seasons. After that, however, the BCS becomes whatever the marketplace -- the television networks and the bowls themselves -- deems worthy.

Numerous sources across the sport Monday said they can't imagine the marketplace will smile on a league that will essentially be Conference USA circa 2004.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/10/10/big.east.automatic.qualifier.status/index.html

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
05 Dec 11

Actually, TCU has accepted an invite to become part of the Big 12.

I believe Boise accepted to the Big East if I am not mistaken.

q

Moves
05 Dec 11
1 edit

Unlike TCU who seems willing to actually play with the Big 12, I thought Boise never actually accepted the bid to become a Big East team. I only mention conference expansion and reorganization because it takes care of top non AQ school from systematically being denied fair bowl entry. However, if they insist on not playing in real conference, then their schedule should be looked at accordingly. Top conferences who play tougher teams week in and week out should get better bowl games than teams like Boise who fail to win their semi-joke of a conference.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 11

Unlike TCU who seems willing to actually play with the Big 12, I thought Boise never actually accepted the bid to become a Big East team. I only mention conference expansion and reorganization because it takes care of top non AQ school from systematically being denied fair bowl entry. However, if they insist on not playing in real conference, then thei ...[text shortened]... uld get better bowl games than teams like Boise who fail to win their semi-joke of a conference.
You mean the "semi-joke" of a conference who's champion defeated the champion of the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl last year?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 11
1 edit

I don't think Boise has accepted yet. The conference will be a mess anyway and I think they will lose their automatic BCS bid which is the only reason why Boise State would join in the first place.

EDIT: Looks like it probably will happen though:

he Boise State football program’s expected move to the Big East Conference has stalled while the Broncos try to find a home for their other sports programs, President Bob Kustra said.

“Every day something changes,” he said. “We’re still trying to work it out and where we really are is trying to work out the other sports. That’s where we are. It’s not easy. … Believe me, I would have loved to have done this a month ago.

“I personally think that this would be a good thing for us to do, yeah, but I can’t say I’m sure it’s going to happen because there’s just these obstacles to getting there and trying to find a conference that wants us and is right for us. Those are the things we haven’t figured out yet.”

He hopes to finalize the Big East deal in the next couple weeks. He expects San Diego State to join Boise State as a Western partner. He also hasn’t ruled out Air Force, which has indicated it might not make a decision until January, he said.

“San Diego State is very interested and they’re working as diligently as we are and we’re working with them,” Kustra said.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/12/02/1901320/schools-after-petersen-big-east.html

I mean for me it will be great; cable here shows a ton of Big east games and I'd probably be able to see all of Boise State's game. Geographically this is getting a bit ridiculous though: San Diego State in the Big East? Can't wait to hear about Washington State and Hawaii moving to the Atlantic Coast Conference.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
05 Dec 11

I don't think Boise has accepted yet. The conference will be a mess anyway and I think they will lose their automatic BCS bid which is the only reason why Boise State would join in the first place.

EDIT: Looks like it probably will happen though:

he Boise State football program’s expected move to the Big East Conference has stalled while t ...[text shortened]... an't wait to hear about Washington State and Hawaii moving to the Atlantic Coast Conference.
I agree on the geography. The conferences are nuts.

Originally, it was all about geography.
Now travel costs will balloon, fan bases won't be able to travel to all games.

I think that was a HUGE factor in TCU jumping ship on the Big East (well one of several reasons)
and getting into the Big 12. Plus, they have some long time rivalries established in the Big 12.

Missouri and Texas A&M going to the SEC is dumb as hell for them.
Their costs will skyrocket and they won't win more games.

I have heard one scenario that had the Mountain West merging with the Big East.
That would create a west and an east division for them in a mega conference of 16.

The whole thing is ludicrous if you ask me.