College Football 2011

College Football 2011

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
27 Nov 11

Originally posted by no1marauder
It's already been decided which team is better. Having them play again is ridiculous.

If Alabama wins, should they play a third time?
As I understand the rules, the winner of the NCG is the National Champion.

This isn't a tough concept. The fact that the two best teams already played once is inconsequential.

Should I remind you of these comments you made earlier this season??

What I said is that I think Alabama is the "best" team based on what I've seen. Looking at the games, I fail to see how anyone can claim that LSU has played better. Mississippi State was in the game until the 4th and West Virginia ran up over 500 yards against the Tiger defense. Alabama runs better and plays better D. Do you claim otherwise?

Does Alabama going into the Swamp and crushing the Gators alter your opinion at all, SC?

It's very possible that Alabama and LSU are the best teams (they sure look like it) but they'll have a chance to settle who is better on Saturday.

q

Moves
27 Nov 11

Your ranting is tiresome as always. How does anybody KNOW Alabama is the second best team? Did they play Oklahoma State? Or Virginia Tech? Or Stanford? Or even Houston?

We do know that they played LSU at home and lost in a sloppy, terrible game. Thus, we know they are the second best team between themselves and LSU. Inflicting such ano ...[text shortened]... in the league have agreed to it. Your ignorant complaining about its existence is stupid.
There is no logic in your position and what is tiresome is your advocating the underdog even when they are completely undeserving.
The SEC is the best conference year in year out. They have won the last 5 national championships and their top teams thrashed other teams out of conference. Alabama won at Penn State. LSU beat Oregon on a neutral field. Alabama has only one loss and it is to a better team than any other one loss team played. There are no teams with no losses in a majpr conference (Houston's is a joke their best win is against UCLA a team that lost 50-0 to a team that won at home against Minnesota by two points)

P.S. Despite your claim to the contrary the LSU - Alabama game although sloppy was a very enjoyable game to watch.

w

Moves
27 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Michigan throttled Ohio State, didn't they??
I believe I picked Ohio State to be EXACTLY where they are now, didn't I?

A chimpanzee could see what was coming, although, they had to gut the program to accopmlish this task, didn't they?

w

Moves
27 Nov 11

Originally posted by quackquack
There is no logic in your position and what is tiresome is your advocating the underdog even when they are completely undeserving.
The SEC is the best conference year in year out. They have won the last 5 national championships and their top teams thrashed other teams out of conference. Alabama won at Penn State. LSU beat Oregon on a neutral field. ...[text shortened]... laim to the contrary the LSU - Alabama game although sloppy was a very enjoyable game to watch.
Although I agree that Alabama is probably the best out there to face LSU, there will always be some measure of uncertainty.

Personally, I have mixed emotions. I would like to see another division have the chance to knock of LSU and the SEC, but I also want the best team available to knock LSU off as well. Simply put, I want to see LSU suffer in the NCG and if watching the LSU/Alabama game was as hard as it was playing out there, Alabama is the team for me!!!

I'm hoping for a 2-2 tie that goes into triple overtime and have the game called due to incliment weather. 😀

q

Moves
27 Nov 11

I'm hoping for a 2-2 tie that goes into triple overtime and have the game called due to incliment weather. 😀[/b]
That would be a great game.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
27 Nov 11

Originally posted by whodey
Although I agree that Alabama is probably the best out there to face LSU, there will always be some measure of uncertainty.

Personally, I have mixed emotions. I would like to see another division have the chance to knock of LSU and the SEC, but I also want the best team available to knock LSU off as well. Simply put, I want to see LSU suffer in the NCG a ...[text shortened]... 2-2 tie that goes into triple overtime and have the game called due to incliment weather. 😀
Then, you are saying that the University of Houston is your choice for the slot if they
win their conference championship?

They would be the only undefeated team in the country besides LSU if it beats Georgia.

Alabama would be the top rated team with one loss unless the pollsters reward
Oklahoma State if they beat Oklahoma which would be a travesty since they should
have fallen farther in the standings with their upset than they did, but sympathy for
the loss of their women's basketball coaches spare their fall.

If you honestly believe that Houston could stay on the field with LSU, then you are
crazier than I thought.

q

Moves
28 Nov 11

Then, you are saying that the University of Houston is your choice for the slot if they

They would be the only undefeated team in the country besides LSU if it beats Georgia.

Oklahoma State if they beat Oklahoma which would be a trav ...[text shortened]... ly believe that Houston could stay on the field with LSU, then you are
crazier than I thought.
I agree that Houston would not be able to stay on the field with LSU and more importantly based on schedule they do not deserve to get a chance to be the national champion. Since someone gets that shot it should be a team with a great record and a very tough schedule. Houston (based on schedule) simply does not qualify.

w

Moves
28 Nov 11
2 edits

Oklahoma State if they beat Oklahoma which would be a trav ly believe that Houston could stay on the field with LSU, then you are
crazier than I thought.
As I have stated repeatidly for years, the best is in the SEC. In fact, for years you tried to convince me that other teams outside the SEC could win the NCG. That is just wishful thinking. There is no parity in college football when it comes to the SEC and has not been for years.

However, there is always an element of doubt. Let's just say I believe Alabama should face LSU, as much as it pains me.

Personally, my ill feelings towards USC has me wishing they could face LSU. I would love to see them get crushed, but alas, the match up has inexplicably never happened. Maybe next year.......

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Nov 11
1 edit

As I understand the rules, the winner of the NCG is the National Champion.

This isn't a tough concept. The fact that the two best teams already played once is inconsequential.

Should I remind you of these comments you made earlier this season??

[b]What I said is that I think Alabama is the "best" team based on what I've seen. Looking at the gam they sure look like it) but they'll have a chance to settle who is better on Saturday.
[/b]
Yes I did say that. Note:

It's very possible that Alabama and LSU are the best teams (they sure look like it) but they'll have a chance to settle who is better on Saturday.

They settled it, someone else should get a shot.

As I have repeatedly pointed out, no one (including me) gave Utah a chance against a once beaten Alabama team in a BCS Bowl Game a few years ago. Few thought Boise State could possibly beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta 5 or so years ago. LSU would probably rout Houston, but there's only one way of knowing for sure. We already know that LSU is a better team than Alabama because they proved it on the field; yours and QQ's opinions are just that, they aren't proof that LSU would win.

And as usual both you and he continue to ignore the Ohio State-Michigan precedent; if the same arguments you are making were used in that case, two inferior teams would have played for the BCS title with never a chance to face a quality non-conference foe.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Nov 11

Originally posted by whodey
As I have stated repeatidly for years, the best is in the SEC. In fact, for years you tried to convince me that other teams outside the SEC could win the NCG. That is just wishful thinking. There is no parity in college football when it comes to the SEC and has not been for years.

However, there is always an element of doubt. Let's just say I believe A ...[text shortened]... em get crushed, but alas, the match up has inexplicably never happened. Maybe next year.......
Sure let's follow QQ's logic and just put what we think are the two best teams in the SEC against each other in the BCS Championship Game EVERY YEAR. It is the best conference after all.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
28 Nov 11
1 edit

Realistically, I know Houston won't get a shot though they have moved up to #6 in the BCS rankings and will get a BCS game if they win their conference championship game. A Houston-Stanford game would be fun to watch.

The only real chance to avoid Snoozefest Rematch is for Oklahoma State to win convincingly against Oklahoma and sway a lot a human voters in the polls to change their present preference for Alabama to be #2. There is precedent for that; that is what happened to avoid the farce of a Ohio State-Michigan BCS Championship Game. Oklahoma State is very close to Alabama in the computers and a win against a quality opponent like the Sooners should push them ahead of Bama with the machines. I imagine a lot of coaches and writers not from the South aren't enamored of a SEC rematch in the title game so perhaps there is some hope.

w

Moves
28 Nov 11

Realistically, I know Houston won't get a shot though they have moved up to #6 in the BCS rankings and will get a BCS game if they win their conference championship game. A Houston-Stanford game would be fun to watch.

The only real chance to avoid Snoozefest Rematch is for Oklahoma State to win convincingly against Oklahoma and sway a lot ...[text shortened]... om the South aren't enamored of a SEC rematch in the title game so perhaps there is some hope.
I'd say that the writers better get used to it. In fact, it may be a yearly occurence. After all, the SEC has dominated for a while now. What would make this change?

The question should be, as a conference, what makes the SEC better? Perhaps if we got everyone to join their conference, then whatever advantages they have might gradually fade away.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
30 Nov 11

Now Urban Meyer is coaxed out of retirement....again....to run the inmates at OSU.

Everyone enjoys a challenge I suppose.

q

Moves
01 Dec 11

Sure let's follow QQ's logic and just put what we think are the two best teams in the SEC against each other in the BCS Championship Game EVERY YEAR. It is the best conference after all.
As always, you misrepresent what I said. I do not think the top team in the SEC automatically play for a national championship. I think that based on the LSU - Oregon game on a neutral field, LSU's massacre at West Virginia, the Alabama victory at Penn State plus the fact that it the SEC is consistently the best conference makes it clear that we know who are the two best teams and that those teams should play for the national championship. The purpose of the BCS is not to redistribue, but to have the top two teams play. The fact that the two teams actually paid top out of conference schedules and top in-conference schedules only strengthens their case.

Stanford, Oklahoma State, Houston etc. do not play the out of conference games LSU/ Alabama played and do not play in a conference that won the last FIVE national championships. I don't like the SEC, but there is simply no justification for anyone other than the two SEC top teams to play.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
01 Dec 11

Originally posted by quackquack
As always, you misrepresent what I said. I do not think the top team in the SEC automatically play for a national championship. I think that based on the LSU - Oregon game on a neutral field, LSU's massacre at West Virginia, the Alabama victory at Penn State plus the fact that it the SEC is consistently the best conference makes it clear that we know w ...[text shortened]... SEC, but there is simply no justification for anyone other than the two SEC top teams to play.
Lawyers twist words to suit their argument.

If LSU and Alabama are the # 1 and # 2 ranked teams, they should play for the title.
I believe they will be and said so several weeks back.
It doesn't matter if it is a repeat game.
No1's crystal ball has been short-circuited all year which means his projection of
a boring game should bode well for a monster game.