1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 06:44
    Originally posted by richjohnson
    Like it or not (and I don't), the BCS is a "solution" to this problem too. I'm only a casual college football fan and don't really know much about the other divisions, but I'd be very surprised if there weren't disagreements over which teams get selected there too (or is it purely based on records?).

The bowls are first and foremost about making mone ...[text shortened]... ow if they would agree to any system that might force them to have small market schools.
    The "big" bowls would be National Quarter-Finals so that would certainly make them more desirable tickets then they are now (essentially all the bowls are meaningless exhibitions).
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 16:39
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The "big" bowls would be National Quarter-Finals so that would certainly make them more desirable tickets then they are now (essentially all the bowls are meaningless exhibitions).
    You seem to believe the only thing that makes a game important is whether you have a chance to win a National Chmapionship. Sports like college basketball buy into that faulty premise and have made the regular season virtually meaningless. No college football fan looks (or should look) at the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl or Sugar Bowl and think the game was meaningless because a teams won but did not win the National Chamionship.

Major Bowls are events with parades on TVs and people traveling thousands of miles to attend it. People buy shirts and T-shirts and bands go there. I do not think there would be the same level of enthusiasm for a third tier playoff game. Even the kind of fan who would travel to a bowl game can't fly on a one week notice three weeks in a row. Thus, the idea that the tickets would be more desirable is very questionable at best.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 19:051 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    You seem to believe the only thing that makes a game important is whether you have a chance to win a National Chmapionship. Sports like college basketball buy into that faulty premise and have made the regular season virtually meaningless. No college football fan looks (or should look) at the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl or Sugar Bowl and think the game was a row. Thus, the idea that the tickets would be more desirable is very questionable at best.
    Gee, that must be why there are all those empty seats at the BCS Championship Game ..........................................

College football fans would look at the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta as more meaningful IF the winners advanced to play in the national semi-finals. That would make selling tickets for said games easier.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree