1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 23:53
    For anyone interested in MLB pitching and how the pitches 'move' or what they do should go to www.wikipedia.com

search each of these:
    knuckleball
    curveball
    slider
    changeup
    sinker
    fastball
    slurve
    gyroball
    Eephus pitch

They are all great to read about, especially the last few.

One of my favorites to watch is Tim Wakefield with his knuckleball. It never fails that when I'm watching a game I can ask someone in the room, "Do you know who Tim Wakefield is?"

If they say "No" I say,
    "Watch this"

When they see his pitch they always ask, "Is this a joke?" or "What the heck?" It looks like he's playing catch with his kid or something. The ball starts head or chest high, and if he's having a great day the ball will start to wobble in the air... and often drops straight down just before it reaches the batter.

Sometimes they shell him, and they take Tim out... but when he's on, it's great.

Now, as for Cricket... I wonder if it gets some of the movement based on where the seam hits the ground and how? I'm sure that's got to have a lot to do with any movement on this ball. I also think it probably would get a lot more movement than a baseball if it were thrown the same as a baseball pitch... isn't the seam rather large?

P-
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 08:231 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Now, as for Cricket... I wonder if it gets some of the movement based on where the seam hits the ground and how? I'm sure that's got to have a lot to do with any movement on this ball. I also think it probably would get a lot more movement than a baseball if it were thrown the same as a baseball pitch... isn't the seam rather large?

P-
    Exactly, this is why the batsmen needs the protective gear.

Fast bowlers try to get swing through the air and movement off the pitch. They attempt to get the batsman to commit to a shot and then deviate the ball off the pitch in order to hit the wickets or induce a false stroke that might be caught by a fielder.
    An example of fast, seam bowling:
    YouTube

Spin bowlers use the seam to get the ball to spin off the pitch in a more pronounced manner than the faster guys.
    This fat bastard can sure bowl:
    YouTube

The cricket ball seam is not very large, but the stitching protrudes further than a baseball and it's also 'harder'.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 16:43
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Exactly, this is why the batsmen needs the protective gear.

Fast bowlers try to get swing through the air and movement off the pitch. They attempt to get the batsman to commit to a shot and then deviate the ball off the pitch in order to hit the wickets or induce a false stroke that might be caught by a fielder.
    An example of fast, seam bowling:
    http:/ ...[text shortened]... s not very large, but the stitching protrudes further than a baseball and it's also 'harder'.
    It's also worth mentioning that the distance between bowler and batsman is shorter than that between pitcher and batter. This means that the time the batsman has to see and play a ball is shorter. Also the movement off the pitch can be a lot more deviated than the curve of a ball through the air in baseball.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:00
    Originally posted by Starrman
    It's also worth mentioning that the distance between bowler and batsman is shorter than that between pitcher and batter. This means that the time the batsman has to see and play a ball is shorter. Also the movement off the pitch can be a lot more deviated than the curve of a ball through the air in baseball.
    Yes, but in baseball you have a thin bat... and actually try to hit for distance.

Cricket, they seem to be protecting rather than trying to 'slug' the ball. It's really silly.

P-
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:04
    Yes, but in baseball you have a thin bat... and actually try to hit for distance.

Cricket, they seem to be protecting rather than trying to 'slug' the ball. It's really silly.

P-
    It's always about might over skill for you americans 😞
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:07
    Originally posted by Starrman
    It's always about might over skill for you americans 😞
    It doesn't take skill to swing as hard as you can with a thin bat at a ball moving 100 mph?

Actually, you're right about ALL AMERICANS.

YouTube

Baseball is the best.

P-
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:26
    It doesn't take skill to swing as hard as you can with a thin bat at a ball moving 100 mph?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M989KVW-NNU

Baseball is the best.

P-
    Lol, fun for all.
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:271 edit

Baseball is the best.

P-
    WTF is 4 all about?!

If you watch a game of cricket you'll see that top order batsmen don't swing the bat as hard as they can - if they did they'd have no control. To me it seems Baseball is all about swinging the bat as had as you can, cricket is more about the skill of the shot, guiding the ball into areas of the field over all 360 degrees where the fielders aren't placed. In fact swinging the bat as hard as you can in cricket is looked at as poor technique.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:371 edit
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    To me it seems Baseball is all about swinging the bat as had as you can, cricket is more about the skill of the shot, guiding the ball into areas of the field over all 360 degrees where the fielders aren't placed.
    Don't listen to Phlab, he's just goading you. Indeed, there is a lot of subtleties when swinging a bat. To say it's merely about power is ridiculous and you all fall into Phlabby's little trap.

That being said, power hitting is important in baseball because, as opposed to cricket, runs come from "cashing in" runners on base but it is no more important than being able to place the ball, like you say, where there are no fielders to get those runners on base in the first place. There are all kinds of hitters in baseball - power hitting is only one chapter in the large book, my friend.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:39
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Don't listen to Phlab, he's just goading you. Indeed, there is a lot of subtleties when swinging a bat. To say it's merely about power is ridiculous and you all fall into Phlabby's little trap.

That being said, power hitting is important in baseball because, as opposed to crickets, runs come from "cashing in" runners on base but it is no more inmporta ...[text shortened]... s of hitters in baseball - power hitting is only one chapter in the large book, my friend.
    stupid bunt.

P-
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:41
    stupid bunt.

P-
    Hey, I saw your wife got herself into a DP. Set her straight, bozo.
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:43
    Your point being that baseball players fight like little girls...?
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:44
    Phlabby, show him Pedro throwing Zimmer on his head!
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:55
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 17:57
    Bacause men fight like this?

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree