1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 02:40
    JMHO - Martina Navratilova! Her 9 Wimbledon singles titles and 59 major championships (the last one at age 50!!) sends her straight to the top. The enormity of Martina Navratilova’s career places her atop the list when tennis historians debate which player – male or female – is the best of all time. When one of her closest competitors Billie Jean King says that Navratilova is “the greatest singles, doubles, and mixed doubles player who ever lived,” it’s hard not to take those words at face value. It’s not that Navratilova doesn’t have competitors in King, Helen Wills, Margaret Court, Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, and Serena Williams, but statistically she’s off the charts.

No other athlete can claim such domination of their chosen sport over such long period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_Navratilova_career_statistics
  2. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 14:48
    Caitlyn Jenner
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 21:10
    99.94. That is all.
  4. Joined
    01 Apr '09
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 23:19
    If "domination of their chosen sport" is the criteria, I would nominate Bill Russell. He played 2 years in college and won the NCAA Championship both years, including a 58-game win streak. He then led the US to an undefeated Olympic Gold Medal. He then played 13 years for the Celtics and won 11 NBA Titles. (In one of the years he didn't win it, he broke his leg in the Final Series.) That's 14 major championships in 15 years.
  5. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 00:48
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    Caitlyn Jenner
    Jockey Wilson. Now there's a sportsman.
  6. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 00:51
    Originally posted by @john-osmar
    If "domination of their chosen sport" is the criteria, I would nominate Bill Russell. He played 2 years in college and won the NCAA Championship both years, including a 58-game win streak. He then led the US to an undefeated Olympic Gold Medal. He then played 13 years for the Celtics and won 11 NBA Titles. (In one of the years he didn't win it, he broke his leg in the Final Series.) That's 14 major championships in 15 years.
    Who ?? Never heard of him. Obviously only big over there in the US.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 02:20
    Originally posted by @mchill
    JMHO - Martina Navratilova! Her 9 Wimbledon singles titles and 59 major championships (the last one at age 50!!) sends her straight to the top. The enormity of Martina Navratilova’s career places her atop the list when tennis historians debate which player – male or female – is the best of all time. When one of her closest competitors Billie Jean King says t ...[text shortened]... over such long period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_Navratilova_career_statistics
    So if you dominate a second rate field you are the greatest athlete?

Jim Thorpe is often touted as the greatest athlete ever.
  8. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 09:55
    To find the greatest athletic of all time.
    First we would have to decide what is the greatest sport of all time.
    That will never happen .

NOTE it's Jim watt best ever.
  9. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 10:141 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    So if you dominate a second rate field you are the greatest athlete?

Jim Thorpe is often touted as the greatest athlete ever.
    Never heard of him either. We're talking the greatest athlete of all time. Not some obscure American athlete that nobody from outside of America has ever heard of.

Other than the obvious Don Bradman Heather McKay must also be up there. Here is a little information about Heather

"Heather McKay won 16 consecutive British Open squash championships between 1962 and 1977, acknowledged as squash’s most coveted title. In over 20 years of international competition Heather lost twice to Yvonne West in 1960, and Fran Marshall in 1962. But squash wasn’t her only claim to fame, representing Australia at hockey in 1967 and 1971, and winning the American and Canadian Racquetball championships consistently throughout the 1980s to be genuinely rated among the world’s greatest sportswomen".

Only lost 3 times in her life. Now that's a champion !!!
  10. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 10:48
    Originally posted by @radioactive69
    Never heard of him either. We're talking the greatest athlete of all time. Not some obscure American athlete that nobody from outside of America has ever heard of.

Other than the obvious Don Bradman Heather McKay must also be up there. Here is a little information about Heather

"Heather McKay won 16 consecutive British Open squash championships ...[text shortened]... g the world’s greatest sportswomen".

Only lost 3 times in her life. Now that's a champion !!!
    Jahingar khan went 555 games unbeaten in squash
    That's just tournament games real figure over 800 if you count exhibition matches.
    Longest winning streak by individual or team in history.
  11. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 18:33
    strong contenders would include Muhammad Ali and Micheal Phelps if domination is the measure
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 19:22
    Originally posted by @roma45
    Jahingar khan went 555 games unbeaten in squash
    That's just tournament games real figure over 800 if you count exhibition matches.
    Longest winning streak by individual or team in history.
    I saw him play once against Del Harris. (A British player). He was pretty awesome. I think there was also a Jansher Khan, but it was many years ago.
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 23:46
    multi sport athletes should also be given consideration
    Bo Jackson comes to mind
    he was the best multi sport athlete I ever saw
    played both baseball and football at the all star level
    injuries cut short his career
  14. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 16:01
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    multi sport athletes should also be given consideration
    Bo Jackson comes to mind
    he was the best multi sport athlete I ever saw
    played both baseball and football at the all star level
    injuries cut short his career
    Baseball and football
    AKA rounders and sissy boy rugby

Not real sports try again
  15. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 19:48
    On this subject,what is annoying is that some sports and thus athletes get more attention than others.
    I forget the name (which also illustrates my point and the power of the media) but in the 2017 para olymics a girl won a boatload of medals for team GB, yet when it comes to BBC sports personality of the year the winner is Andy Murray.
    I've nothing against the bloke personally but really?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree