1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    31 Dec '17 16:061 edit
    Re: Secretariat vs. Man o' War

I don't agree, but that's what makes horse races.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 08:19
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    [b]You need to look at who Kallis scored his runs against.
    I know exactly who he scored his runs against. He got 1 of his 45 tons against Bangladesh and 3 against Zimbabwe. What point do you think you are making?

Sobers best all rounder in cricket history.

He was also good, no doubt about it.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 10:591 edit
    There are several other weak teams around. WI from around 2000 for one . A lot of centuries against them. How many vs Australia who, in the first part of Kallis' career, were clearly #1 in the world?

Will look up an interesting article comparing Sobers and Kallis. Sobers came out on top.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 11:21
    There are several other weak teams around. WI from around 2000 for one . A lot of centuries against them. How many vs Australia who, in the first part of Kallis' career, were clearly #1 in the world?
    He got the greater part of his 45 tons against Australia when they were #1, against India when they were #1, and against England when they were #1 ~ and got half of them away from home. Sobers was a great player too, mind you.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    01 Jan '18 11:401 edit
    I think it is generally accepted that Australia were the best team in the world from the early 90s through to 2005, when they lost the Ashes to England and age started to take its toll on their fantastic pace bowlers (led by McGrath) and Shane Warne.

Kallis scored just 5 centuries v Aus and only one of them was in that period, in 1997. The other 4 post 2005.

I would add that I saw one of his centuries vs England, in Manchester in 1998, and England were anything but #1 in the world at that time.

Solid bat, always thought he carried a little too much weight.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 04:46
    I think it is generally accepted that Australia were the best team in the world from the early 90s through to 2005, when they lost the Ashes to England and age started to take its toll on their fantastic pace bowlers (led by McGrath) and Shane Warne.

Kallis scored just 5 centuries v Aus and only one of them was in that period, in 1997. The ot ...[text shortened]... #1 in the world at that time.

Solid bat, always thought he carried a little too much weight.
    I think Kallis is the best all rounder there's ever been. Gary Sobers was also great.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    02 Jan '18 14:27
    One trouble with test match stats is they don't include the matches played in Kerry Packer's world series' where all the world's best played against each other.
    Also as someone said games against weaker sides are given the same status.
    The number of centuries is also misleading.What is most valuable? 100 in a boring draw or 75 to save/win a close game
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    03 Jan '18 01:52
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    multi sport athletes should also be given consideration
    Bo Jackson comes to mind
    he was the best multi sport athlete I ever saw
    played both baseball and football at the all star level
    injuries cut short his career
    I had just finished a few games of racquetball in a club in Tempe AZ about 20 years ago and I was sitting in the locker room putting away my equipment. As I was looking down at my bag and a guy walked in and sat down beside me on the bench, because his locker was right next to me, and I looked up as he said hi. Well it was Bo. Wound up talking to him a few minutes as I had to go but what a really nice guy. I'm white and only 5'6" and here sits this really big guy, but I felt really honored to visit with him a little. It was a highlight to say the least.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree