How can anyone take this sport seriously?

How can anyone take this sport seriously?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
20 Jun 10

Originally posted by Palynka
You weren't "robbed", the ref made a bad call. When did a federation apologize for a referee's mistake?
MLB, NFL NBA and NHL do it all the time; though the sports that use instant replay more have to do this less and less.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
20 Jun 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Ragnorak
In the meantime, americans will stick to easy to interpret sports like stickball, throwball and bounceball. Or other sports like Ring-a-Ring-a-Drivey.

; D
Yes, we'll stick to games that are interesting to watch, thank you. (I can't stand NASCAR.)

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Jun 10
1 edit

Originally posted by sh76
MLB, NFL NBA and NHL do it all the time; though the sports that use instant replay more have to do this less and less.
Can you give me an example and quote to an official apology by one of those?

I tried googling, but I couldn't find any. Would be interested to see what they say and for what do they take responsibility.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
20 Jun 10
5 edits

Can you give me an example and quote to an official apology by one of those?

I tried googling, but I couldn't find any. Would be interested to see what they say and for what do they take responsibility.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3594778

"Hochuli wrote to several Chargers fans, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune. "People deserve a response. You can rest assured that nothing anyone can say can make me feel worse than I already feel about my mistake on the fumble play. You have no idea … Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling. Officials strive for perfection -- I failed miserably. Although it does no good to say it, I am very, very sorry."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/sports/mlb/tigers/umpire-jim-joyce-apologizes-for-missing-call-20100603-apx

"It was the biggest call of my career, and I kicked the (stuff) out of it," Joyce said, looking and sounding distraught as he paced in the umpires' locker room. "I just cost that kid a perfect game."

http://www.zimbio.com/Live+Sport+TV+Links/articles/13716/NBA+Apologizes+Quest+Ring+Their+Referees

The NBA admitted officials were wrong when they didn’t call an intentional foul the Dallas Mavericks were trying to commit before Denver’s Carmelo Anthony(notes) made a game-winning 3-pointer Saturday.

Dallas had a two-point lead and a foul to give when Denver inbounded the ball with less than 8 seconds left. Antoine Wright(notes) was clearly trying to foul Anthony, and bumped him twice.

But the whistle never blew and Anthony swished a 3-pointer from in front of the Dallas bench with a second left that gave the Nuggets a 106-105 victory and a 3-0 series lead.

“At the end of the Dallas-Denver game this evening, the officials missed an intentional foul committed by Antoine Wright on Carmelo Anthony, just prior to Anthony’s three-point basket,” Joel Litvin, NBA president of league and basketball operations, said in a statement issued by the league about two hours after the game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/BRUINS-BEATBad-call-worse-resultPoor-play-let-ref-decide-outcome-57358872

It was such a bad call, NHL officiating supervisor Mick McGeough hurried down to Claude Julien's office after the game and apologized to the B's coach.

``The supervisor came in and apologized to us,'' said Bruin general manager Peter Chiarelli. ``He said it was a mistake. At least that was good of them to admit it.''

http://blog.newsok.com/nbainokc/2010/04/07/costly-controversial-loss/

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
20 Jun 10

I think you have a point, but it has little to do with Americans, Europeans or whomever.

It just has to do with the fact that the World Cup attracts viewers who are less familiar with the finer details of the game. Of course, proportionally, there are probably more Americans who just tune in during this time but it has little to do with some inability to like sports which aren't "easy to interpret".
If, by "easy to interpret," you mean sports where there's actually some relationship between most of the action on the field/court/ice and the outcome of the game, then yes.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Jun 10

If, by "easy to interpret," you mean sports where there's actually some relationship between most of the action on the field/court/ice and the outcome of the game, then yes.
I'm just saying you know sweet f-all of the sport and so you can't link the action on the field to the outcome of the game, but that's probably not true of all Americans.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Jun 10

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3594778

"Hochuli wrote to several Chargers fans, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune. "People deserve a response. You can rest assured that nothing anyone can say can make me feel worse than I already feel about my mistake on the fumble play. You have no idea … Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating ...[text shortened]... it.''

http://blog.newsok.com/nbainokc/2010/04/07/costly-controversial-loss/
Thanks.

h

Moves
20 Jun 10

Originally posted by divegeester
Watching the replay (I missed the game) I couldn't see anything wrong with the goal, but the ref blew up while the ball was still in the air.
As I wrote on the previous page, (the only reason) I can deduce that the referee disallowed the goal was because of what the USA captain did. I could CLEARLY see, on one replay, the captain's armband on an arm that was completely wrapped around a Slovenian's waist in an attempt to hold him down to stop a defensive header. It doesn't sound like much but the American was pulling so hard that he was almost on the ground himself.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Jun 10

Personally, I think the US coach got it right when he said it had been probably a make-up call.

"There are times when a referee, for whatever reason, blows a foul and now thinks either he didn't make the correct call on the foul or from a previous play, and then literally as soon as the free kick's taken, he blows his whistle, OK? So you can speculate all you want about which guy and everything, I think it's a waste of time."

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirate™

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
20 Jun 10

Originally posted by hopscotch
As I wrote on the previous page, (the only reason) I can deduce that the referee disallowed the goal was because of what the USA captain did. I could CLEARLY see, on one replay, the captain's armband on an arm that was completely wrapped around a Slovenian's waist in an attempt to hold him down to stop a defensive header. It doesn't sound like much but the American was pulling so hard that he was almost on the ground himself.
The replays show plenty of grabbing and holding form both sides. If anything I would have thought the ref saw it all, couldn't decide who was at fault so by default gave a foul in favour of the defending team.

However saying that, I was watching an clip of the incident from ESPN footage and that showed it as being offside. Who knows! Hopefully the FA or the ref will release a statement on it at some point.

d

Moves
21 Jun 10
2 edits

Originally posted by Ragnorak
The thing that our american friends will probably never get is that football rules are very open to interpretation, and this is also what makes football such a discussion worthy sport.

In the meantime, americans will stick to easy to interpret sports like stickball, throwball and bounceball. Or other sports like Ring-a-Ring-a-Drivey.

; D
What an ignorant thing to say. You're much better than this, Rags. I can't believe it got 7 recs but I guess that goes to show how "cool" it is to be Anti-American.

If you knew anything about baseball, basketball or american football, you would know how difficult umpiring those games are and how prone they are to human error.

This excerpt of your post is porbably the most ridiculous and stupid thing I've read on this forum in months.

o
Art is hard

Moves
21 Jun 10

Originally posted by darvlay
What an ignorant thing to say. You're much better than this, Rags. I can't believe it got 7 recs but I guess that goes to show how "cool" it is to be Anti-American.

If you knew anything about baseball, basketball or american football, you would know how difficult umpiring those games are and how prone they are to human error.

This excerpt of your post is porbably the most ridiculous and stupid thing I've read on this forum in months.
you missed scazzi and red_nights posts then...

d

Moves
21 Jun 10
1 edit

Originally posted by orion25
you missed scazzi and red_nights posts then...
I expect blustering idiocy from the two of them, not from Ragnorak. Do you agree with Rags' assessment?

c

Russ's Pocket

Moves
21 Jun 10

I expect blustering idiocy from the two of them, not from Ragnorak. Do you agree with Rags' assessment?
you sir are on a roll, and if my tiny american mind could figure out how to pay russ I would give you a rec. But since I am actually withholding payments to russ in protest I will give you two n-sr (non-sub rec).

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
21 Jun 10

I expect blustering idiocy from the two of them, not from Ragnorak.
So whose mistake is that? 😛