1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 20:381 edit
    Originally posted by roma45
    still no answer to why claim to be world champs when only 1 country play it? got to admit usa put on good entertainment in all sporting events. no mention here of wrestling whats your view?
    Because they are the BEST!~

Wrestling? UFC is pretty cool.

P-
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 21:121 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Arguing from pure "population", since China is playing baseball,
    It must be the most popular sport in the world.
    I'm not arguing from "population" (whatever the quotes are supposed to signify) alone.
    Cricket is almost a religion in India and the number one sport in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
    It's got professional leagues or competitions in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and the Caribbean. It's an established sport in Zimbabwe and Kenya.

I'm not even talking about the countries where it's purely amateur or they are starting o show an interest. Hell, there's even a cricket pitch or two in Florida if I'm not mistaken...

You can't argue the numbers dude, so don't even try.
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 21:25
    Rugby players would be crushed playing NFL style football.
    NFL football players would not fare well playing rugby.

You are correct that the two sports are quite different.
    Because of that, the type of athlete geared for the sports are different.
    I am just tired of all the lame rhetoric on how weak the NFL is.
    The fact is, there are those who unde ...[text shortened]... h the worldwide audience the game attracts,
    nor can you argue about the revenue it generates.
    Uhm, no, they wouldn't be "crushed". They would probably not score many points, except the odd field goal. The same goes for NFL guys taking off the armour to play rugga for 80 minutes...

Anyway, I'm not one of the people who will use any of the idiotic BS to compare players. The games are so radically different, there is no use even trying to compare. Just because the ball looks kinda the same and players are tackling each other doesn't mean there can ever be any comparison.

Even though I'm bored every time I've tried to watch it - I respect American football for what it is: entertainment. I'm sure you feel the same about test cricket...
    To someone who doesn't fully understand the nuances and strategies going on on-field, a sport will have no appeal.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 21:44
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I'm not arguing from "population" (whatever the quotes are supposed to signify) alone.
    Cricket is almost a religion in India and the number one sport in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
    It's got professional leagues or competitions in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and the Caribbean. It's an established sport in Zimbabwe and Kenya ...[text shortened]... lorida if I'm not mistaken...

You can't argue the numbers dude, so don't even try.
    I wish it was on TV here in the US... I'm sure I'd enjoy it WAY MORE than the La Cross they run here and there on a sport station or two.

P-
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 21:50
    Uhm, no, they wouldn't be "crushed". They would probably not score many points, except the odd field goal. The same goes for NFL guys taking off the armour to play rugga for 80 minutes...

Anyway, I'm not one of the people who will use any of the idiotic BS to compare players. The games are so radically different, there is no use even trying to compare. Ju ...[text shortened]... y understand the nuances and strategies going on on-field, a sport will have no appeal.
    I don't really understand a lot about NFL, but enjoy it enough to watch. I know basics like

Move ball forward
    Defense can't push you from behind
    Defense can't grab you or your shirt
    Offense can't jump before the ball is hiked
    Offense can't throw the ball when they pass the line of scrimmage
    Offense can't throw the ball to an area with no players if the QB is going to be sacked

But I don't know all the 3-4 4-3 package talk and deep X and O talk about the game.

I've enjoyed a rugby game here or there, my problem is just not having a favorite team to watch advance the ball or stop the ball.

P-
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 22:08
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I don't really understand a lot about NFL, but enjoy it enough to watch. I know basics like

Move ball forward
    Defense can't push you from behind
    Defense can't grab you or your shirt
    Offense can't jump before the ball is hiked
    Offense can't throw the ball when they pass the line of scrimmage
    Offense can't throw the ball to an area with no players ...[text shortened]... lem is just not having a favorite team to watch advance the ball or stop the ball.

P-
    I'm about the same. I know the basics, understand downs trying to make the yards etc. Its just too stop/start for me to really get into it. Obviously it gets very little TV time here as well, but we can see it on ESPN on satellite...

The US rugby team is actually playing decent rugby. Watch out for sevens at the next Olympics too, or is that 2016?
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 22:19
    Baseball has even been an Olympic sport.

Never seen cricket in the Olympics.
    What's that have to do with anything? How many people compete professionally in handball? How many spectators does archery competitions worldwide pull in?

Having a proper cricket tournament would just take too long for an olympic timeframe. That's all. T20 Cricket is changing that, so don't be surprised to see it on the menu in a few years.

Also, just for completeness' sake: cricket was an Olympic sport, but the Americans couldn't understand it, so it got canned for the 1904 event.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 23:37
    What's that have to do with anything? How many people compete professionally in handball? How many spectators does archery competitions worldwide pull in?

Having a proper cricket tournament would just take too long for an olympic timeframe. That's all. T20 Cricket is changing that, so don't be surprised to see it on the menu in a few years.

Also, just ...[text shortened]... ympic sport, but the Americans couldn't understand it, so it got canned for the 1904 event.
    Those Yanks must have a lot of stroke. 😉

If they have that kind of power, maybe we should get rid of all the games we suck at!!
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 06:52
    Those Yanks must have a lot of stroke. 😉

If they have that kind of power, maybe we should get rid of all the games we suck at!!
    Talking about the Olympics just pissed me off again. I still can't believe squash wasn't included as a new Olympic sport.

Politics and money. The root of all that is evil.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 23:30
    Talking about the Olympics just pissed me off again. I still can't believe squash wasn't included as a new Olympic sport.

Politics and money. The root of all that is evil.
    Or for that matter, the king of all sports worldwide......Texas Hold'em Poker. 😉
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 23:45
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I wish it was on TV here in the US... I'm sure I'd enjoy it WAY MORE than the La Cross they run here and there on a sport station or two.

P-
    You mean lacrosse?
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    16 Feb '11 03:54
    Originally posted by gambit3
    You mean lacrosse?
    No, he means La Cross.

That is a new tv game show that pits lawyers against each other for fun and prizes.
  13. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    16 Feb '11 04:34
    No, he means La Cross.

That is a new tv game show that pits lawyers against each other for fun and prizes.
    Never heard of it.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    16 Feb '11 07:21
    Or for that matter, the king of all sports worldwide......Texas Hold'em Poker. 😉
    I'd watch that.
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    16 Feb '11 16:14
    No, he means La Cross.

La Cruz, sorry about the typo. It's based on The Spanish Inquisition.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree