1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    12 Feb '11 07:58
    Originally posted by bill718
    Don't worry about it. American sports are inferior (and this is coming from an American!) American football is just an inferior brand of rugby, American baseball is an inferior brand of cricket, and American basketball...who wants to watch a bunch of nitwits with glandular disorders that can't even spell there names, try to ram a ball through a hoop, then ha ...[text shortened]... an sports are superior! (My ancestors are from Scotland...I wish they had stayed there!)😏
    Guess that must make you an inferior American male then Billyboy!!
    It is for sure that you haven't got the brains God gave a goat, based on your post!!

For what it is worth....American Football and Rugby aren't much alike,
    but I would love to see a Rugby team match up with an NFL team.
    Saying that Football and Rugby are similar is akin to saying tennis and badmitton were similar.

Baseball is the greatest game on earth....way better than cricket ever thought about.
    It was invented in America and the rest of the world is still trying to catch up.

Americans invented basketball and the rest of the world is trying to catch up.
    The US dominates the rest of the world in the sport.
  2. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '11 10:52
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    It is for sure that you haven't got the brains God gave a goat, based on your post!!

Saying that Football and Rugby are similar is akin to saying t ...[text shortened]... est of the world is trying to catch up.
    🙄
  3. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    12 Feb '11 13:45
    Don't worry about it. American sports are inferior (and this is coming from an American!) American football is just an inferior brand of rugby, American baseball is an inferior brand of cricket, and American basketball...who wants to watch a bunch of nitwits with glandular disorders that can't even spell there names, try to ram a ball through a hoop, then ha ...[text shortened]... an sports are superior! (My ancestors are from Scotland...I wish they had stayed there!)😏
    well said, you are welcome "home" anytime.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '11 14:57

Saying that Football and Rugby are similar is akin to saying t ...[text shortened]... est of the world is trying to catch up.
    Full agreement except for the basketball thingie. Naismith was Canadian and happened to invent basketball in the USA.

Bah humbug to the treacherous anti-Americanism of billyboy718! Send him back to Scotland already! American sports are not inferior. Apples and oranges!

For an "inferior"sport the SB attracted 111M viewers!
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 19:15
    Football and Baseball and Basketball. Don't stop there. America is more than a three sports country.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 00:00
    who wants to watch a bunch of nitwits with glandular disorders that can't even spell there names, try to ram a ball through a hoop, then hang on the rim like a bunch of monkeys?!
    They may not be able to spell their names, but I bet most of them can spell "their."
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 00:02
    My ancestors are from Scotland...I wish they had stayed there!)😏
    There's one point I definitely agree with you on.

😏
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 06:23
    Baseball is the greatest game on earth....way better than cricket ever thought about.
    It was invented in America and the rest of the world is still trying to catch up.
    Really?
    You should compare the numbers of people who watch and play cricket to baseball some time.

The 'rest of world' doesn't actually care about baseball. You guys can keep it.
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 06:41
    Saying that Football and Rugby are similar is akin to saying tennis and badmitton were similar.
    LOL.
    Will the NFL guys go without their armour?
    Will they actually face up for a full 80+ minutes, or will the NFL guys field 2 teams like they do now?

Most professional teams would run circles around a NFL defense and a NFL offense would probably run over a rugby team.
    The average rugby player is probably much fitter than the average football player, whereas the football player will be stronger or have better sprint acceleration, because unlike rugby - football players have much more specific roles.

This has been done to death before. There's no way to compare the sports, period.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 07:081 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    For an "inferior"sport the SB attracted 111M viewers!
    If India makes the Cricket World Cup final on their home soil this year, you will probably see global viewer figures of over 1 billion people.

Even if they don't, cricket and it's World Cup is the only sport that can give football a run for it's money in viewer numbers.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 18:05
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Really?
    You should compare the numbers of people who watch and play cricket to baseball some time.

Speaking from your arse again there.

There are many countries trying to pick up baseball.
    All Dominican countries play.
    Mexico
    Canada
    China
    Japan
    Korea
    several countries in Australia
    several Euro countries are also giving it a shot.

Baseball has even been an Olympic sport.

Never seen cricket in the Olympics.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 18:10
    LOL.
    Will the NFL guys go without their armour?
    Will they actually face up for a full 80+ minutes, or will the NFL guys field 2 teams like they do now?

Most professional teams would run circles around a NFL defense and a NFL offense would probably run over a rugby team.
    The average rugby player is probably much fitter than the average football play ...[text shortened]... fic roles.

This has been done to death before. There's no way to compare the sports, period.
    Rugby players would be crushed playing NFL style football.
    NFL football players would not fare well playing rugby.

You are correct that the two sports are quite different.
    Because of that, the type of athlete geared for the sports are different.
    I am just tired of all the lame rhetoric on how weak the NFL is.
    The fact is, there are those who understand and admire the sport,
    and those who don't who are content to badmouth it.

You cannot argue with the worldwide audience the game attracts,
    nor can you argue about the revenue it generates.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 18:29
    If India makes the Cricket World Cup final on their home soil this year, you will probably see global viewer figures of over 1 billion people.

Even if they don't, cricket and it's World Cup is the only sport that can give football a run for it's money in viewer numbers.
    Arguing from pure "population", since China is playing baseball,
    It must be the most popular sport in the world.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 19:48
    Really?

Why not compare the number of people who drive VW Bugs to the number of people driving Corvettes while you're at it? Just because most of the world follows a sport doesn't make it any better.

Baseball is by far the best sport, with NFL in a distant second.

P-
  15. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 20:06
    Rugby players would be crushed playing NFL style football.
    NFL football players would not fare well playing rugby.

You are correct that the two sports are quite different.
    Because of that, the type of athlete geared for the sports are different.
    I am just tired of all the lame rhetoric on how weak the NFL is.
    The fact is, there are those who unde ...[text shortened]... h the worldwide audience the game attracts,
    nor can you argue about the revenue it generates.
    still no answer to why claim to be world champs when only 1 country play it? got to admit usa put on good entertainment in all sporting events. no mention here of wrestling whats your view?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree