1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 00:34
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That's plain stupid. That means who's a "small market team" and who isn't changes every year based on how much some GMs want to spend.
    What is stupid is not understanding that $$$$ is what makes the world go round. It's like anything else really, you usually get what ya pay for.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 00:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    What is stupid is not understanding that $$$$ is what makes the world go round. It's like anything else really, you usually get what ya pay for.
    And those that do spend $$$$ and don't win would be .....stupid??
    Is that what you are saying?

And those who don't spend and yet win away, must be brilliant and frugal??
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 02:101 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    And those that do spend $$$$ and don't win would be .....stupid??
    Is that what you are saying?

And those who don't spend and yet win away, must be brilliant and frugal??
    You can interpret the data how you wish.

I took the liberty of running some more numbers. I looked at both winners and losers in the World Series to see where they fall in terms of payroll.

It looks as if those who were 15 or above in terms of payroll there were 18 appearances. For those below the magical 15 number there were only 4 appearences.

So there you have it. There is an 81% chance that those who appear in the World Series are in the top 15 teams in payroll, at least over the last decade.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 03:29
    You can interpret the data how you wish.

I took the liberty of running some more numbers. I looked at both winners and losers in the World Series to see where they fall in terms of payroll.

It looks as if those who were 15 or above in terms of payroll there were 18 appearances. For those below the magical 15 number there were only 4 appearences.

So ...[text shortened]... ho appear in the World Series are in the top 15 teams in payroll, at least over the last decade.
    I have the sense to know that the numbers you crunched don't mean squat.
    You can spend a ton of money of players who get hurt or under-perform and they won't win.
    You can spend frugally on hungry talent and with some decent coaching, they can prevail.
    It doesn't always happen, but it happens more often than you give credit for.
    It is you who are placing a dumb interpretation of your "statistics"

FYI...the most talent laden team in the world can lose in a short series.
    THAT is a fact!!! It happens frequently too!!

Now you say if a team spends in the top 15 salaries, they make the playoffs
    and have a great chance to win the world series?
    Try to sell that one in Tampa or Pittsburgh, or Miami.

Explain to me why the Altanta Braves, for years with one of the highest payrolls,
    won a total of one world series?

Explain to me why the NYY don't win every year?

The goal isn't to make the playoffs, it is to win the world series.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 15:12
    I have the sense to know that the numbers you crunched don't mean squat.
    You can spend a ton of money of players who get hurt or under-perform and they won't win.
    You can spend frugally on hungry talent and with some decent coaching, they can prevail.
    It doesn't always happen, but it happens more often than you give credit for.
    It is you who are pla ...[text shortened]... 't win every year?

The goal isn't to make the playoffs, it is to win the world series.
    And you can buy a Royals Royce and have it sputter and die on you on the road.

So what's your point? I bring you numbers and you bring me speculations. Obviously, a hand ful of teams go belly up as do some Royals Royces, but by in large you get what you pay for.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 15:151 edit
    [Now you say if a team spends in the top 15 salaries, they make the playoffs
    and have a great chance to win the world series?
    Try to sell that one in Tampa or Pittsburgh, or Miami.

Explain to me why the Altanta Braves, for years with one of the highest payrolls,
    won a total of one world series?

Explain to me why the NYY don't win every year?

The goal isn't to make the playoffs, it is to win the world series.[/b]
    No, I said that if you are one of the top 15 teams you will more than likely have a winning season which positions you to make the playoffs. The Braves are good exaple of this as are the Yankees. Simply put, people expect them to not only have winning seasons but to make the playoffs year after year and if they don't it becomes a big scandel.

As for the Yankees, they made the most World Series appearances of any team in the last decade. This is no fluke.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 17:31
    And you can buy a Royals Royce and have it sputter and die on you on the road.

So what's your point? I bring you numbers and you bring me speculations. Obviously, a hand ful of teams go belly up as do some Royals Royces, but by in large you get what you pay for.
    A Royals Royce???

I assume you mean a Rolls Royce.
    But, then again, you think the Reds are a winner and that big spenders are also winners.
    Go figure....too much confusion for you.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    11 Jul '11 17:33
    No, I said that if you are one of the top 15 teams you will more than likely have a winning season which positions you to make the playoffs. The Braves are good exaple of this as are the Yankees. Simply put, people expect them to not only have winning seasons but to make the playoffs year after year and if they don't it becomes a big scandel.

As for th ...[text shortened]... they made the most World Series appearances of any team in the last decade. This is no fluke.
    For some teams, if they don't win the Series, it isn't a winning season......
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '11 02:141 edit
    A Royals Royce???

I assume you mean a Rolls Royce.
    But, then again, you think the Reds are a winner and that big spenders are also winners.
    Go figure....too much confusion for you.
    I suppose the next thing you are going to tell me is that we don't get French benefits? 😠
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    12 Jul '11 03:42
    I suppose the next thing you are going to tell me is that we don't get French benefits? 😠
    Nope!! You also don't get 'fridge benefits either!! 😛😉
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 17:25
    The top 4 payrolls are in the playoffs as of now and yet there are those of you that don't see the correlation.

Staggering, yet not surprising.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 17:28
    Originally posted by uzless
    The top 4 payrolls are in the playoffs as of now and yet there are those of you that don't see the correlation.

Staggering, yet not surprising.
    I get your point, but it is on your head.

First of all, the season is only half over.

Second of all, there could be just as many low payroll teams getting in as high ones.
    No guarantees, but that is why they play the games.

You cannot show me ONE year where the top 8 highest salaried teams all made the playoffs.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 18:35
    I get your point, but it is on your head.

First of all, the season is only half over.

Second of all, there could be just as many low payroll teams getting in as high ones.
    No guarantees, but that is why they play the games.

You cannot show me ONE year where the top 8 highest salaried teams all made the playoffs.
    I guarantee you the bottom 4 payroll teams don't get in.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 19:04
    If your theory was correct, NONE of the lower half would EVER make it in.

Case over. You lose!!
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '11 19:14
    Tampa has won the AL East two of the last three years and has the second lowest payroll, can you guarantee they will not make it this year? Did you guarantee they would not make it last year? did you guarantee they would not make it two years before that?

Cleveland is a half game out they have the fifth lowest payroll and Arizona has the sixth lowest payroll they are three out. Can you guarantee these two teams won't make it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree