1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:08
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Wrong!! Head to head is the first tie breaker in the Big 12.

When there is a three way tie, they look at record between the common oppoents. They were all 1-1. Texas beat OU and lost to Tech.
    Tech beat Texas and lost to OU. OU beat Tech and lost to Texas.

Texas lost it on the third tie breaker of point differential because OU blew out Tech, worse than Texas beat OU.
    Actually, you are wrong.
    Texas lost the tie breaker. There are polls; Texas lost in the polls. There are rating are strength of schedule; Texas had an easier strength of schedule. There is just no basis to think Texas got cheated.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 22:03
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Actually, you are wrong.
    Texas lost the tie breaker. There are polls; Texas lost in the polls. There are rating are strength of schedule; Texas had an easier strength of schedule. There is just no basis to think Texas got cheated.
    The Texas-Oklahoma example doesn't support your bizarre theory that SOS should trump head to head (tell that to the NFL). IF Texas and Oklahoma had finished in a two way tie, Texas would have gotten the tiebreaker and advanced to the Big 12 Championship Game regardless of SOS. As it happens, Texas Tech also tied for 1st with these two teams (beating Texas on a last second play and getting smacked by the Sooners), so a three way tiebreaker had to be used. The 5th tiebreaker used by the Big 12 was BCS standings. Interestingly, when push came to shove, the poll voters moved Texas ahead of Oklahoma, presumably because of their victory in head to head, but the computer rankings moved Oklahoma ahead largely based on their last weekend road win against Oklahoma State (funny how a road win against Oklahoma State last year rates a shot at the National Championship while one this year barely gets you into the Top 25). A good explanation of the situation is here: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=3625484
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 00:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Texas-Oklahoma example doesn't support your bizarre theory that SOS should trump head to head (tell that to the NFL). IF Texas and Oklahoma had finished in a two way tie, Texas would have gotten the tiebreaker and advanced to the Big 12 Championship Game regardless of SOS. As it happens, Texas Tech also tied for 1st with these two teams (beating Texa ...[text shortened]... e situation is here: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=3625484
    I explained this to him earlier, but he is not willing to understand the errors of his ways.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 00:30
    Actually, you are wrong.
    Are you telling me that OU was the superior team? Honestly?

Texas beat them heads up on a neutral field. Strike one!!

Texas won their bowl game and OU got destroyed...again. Strike two!!

In the final rankings, was OU rated above Texas? Strike three. Take a seat on the bench.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 01:34

In the final rankings, was OU rated above Texas? Strike three. Take a seat on the bench.
    Oklahoma hardly got "destroyed" by Florida; the game was tied in the 4th quarter. And Texas barely pulled out a win over a much weaker Ohio State team. There's little reason to believe that Texas would have fared any better against the Gators than the Sooners did.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 18:25

Of course I think Oklahoma deserved to be ranked ahead of Texas going into the bowls.
    (1) The Texas game played in Texas (I don't care how tickets are split that isn't neutral) and it is one game. Your belief that that game is always a tie breaker just isn't true.
    Here it is outweighed by the fact that Oklahoma had a tougher schedule: a tougher out of conference schedule and they won the big 12 championship game. Oklahoma was justifiably rewarded for being successful in their competition.
    (2) Oklahoma was ranked ahead going into the bowls. That is the relevant time if you want to wrongly claim "texas was cheated"
    (3) Don't mock computer polls just because computers don't share your personal bias Oklahoma or they look at things other than one head to head game.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 21:04
    Of course I think Oklahoma deserved to be ranked ahead of Texas going into the bowls.
    (1) The Texas game played in Texas (I don't care how tickets are split that isn't neutral) and it is one game. Your belief that that game is always a tie breaker just isn't true.
    Here it is outweighed by the fact that Oklahoma had a tougher schedule: a tougher out of ...[text shortened]... hare your personal bias Oklahoma or they look at things other than one head to head game.
    Are you going to tell me that the computer polls get it right? What a joke. They can't even agree on which model to use.

The human polls by the media are popualrity contests weighed heavily toward teams on both coasts.

If I was going to lend credibility to any poll, it would be the coaches poll, but they also vote bias based on confernece affinities and the benefits to their own school.

I guess when OSU beats Michigan in Ohio, it isn't a victory? For your information, the neutral site has been agreed on by both OU and Texas, is geographically centered. Since it bothers you that the game occurs in a State that is 1/3 the width of the entire country, I think of it as a homecoming of sorts, since 90% of ALL of the players who play in the game are from Texas anyway. Your arguement is ridiculous and meritless when you say a head to head matchup outcome should not ALWAYS be the first tiebreak. PERIOD!!

Your opinion of tougher schedule. Ever seen a team lose to a team they are supposed to maul? Of course you have. On any given day, any team can beat another. Ask Marshall, Troy, Appalachin State, Hawaii, Utah, BYU, Florida Intl, to name a few. I am sure all of these schools are natural powerhouses every year and are expected to beat the big boys.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 12:28
    You are such a homer it is ridiculous. Coastal bias is just the whinning of mid america. Certainly Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Ohio State aren't costal states and they didn't exactly live up to their top 10 preseason billing so far. While Alabama and USC two mention two costla state have impressive wins.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 18:34
    You are such a homer it is ridiculous. Coastal bias is just the whinning of mid america. Certainly Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Ohio State aren't costal states and they didn't exactly live up to their top 10 preseason billing so far. While Alabama and USC two mention two costla state have impressive wins.
    You are a bonehead if you don't believe coastal bias. This isn't this year, it has been since televison took over. Get a grip!! For Texas or OU or Nebraska to be rated # 1, you can bet that hard times fell on both coasts and to Notre Dame. FACT!!!
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 01:10
    You are a bonehead if you don't believe coastal bias. This isn't this year, it has been since televison took over. Get a grip!! For Texas or OU or Nebraska to be rated # 1, you can bet that hard times fell on both coasts and to Notre Dame. FACT!!!
    You are just a fool who believes in costal conspiracies. Oklahoma certain won their share of championships in the past. Last year if the Big 12 played any defense they'd get more respect.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 05:22
    You are just a fool who believes in costal conspiracies. Oklahoma certain won their share of championships in the past. Last year if the Big 12 played any defense they'd get more respect.
    I have wasted enough intelligent talk on you. You have no ability to comprehend it anyway. Crawl back into your hole now.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 22:08
    The Irish got by the Spartans; Claussen and the offense looked good, the defense not so much. Unfortunately, Floyd who looked sensational as a receiver is out for the year.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Sep '09 23:585 edits
    Although my Buckeyes blew away Toledo, I watched the game and still have reservations about TP. Of course, he is the best athlete on the field, but I"m not sure he has the mentality to make the right decisions as he should. If not, no amount of coaching will turn him into a great QB. All that he will ever be is an above average QB soley because of his athletisim. The reason I say this is that at times he should have run when he threw and should have thrown when he ran. Also, his mechanics are not the best as he often throws ill advised throws when not using proper mechanics or under too much pressure. In fact, he even had 2 interceptions against a minimally talented defense. And lastly, his interviews tell me he is probably not the sharpest tack.

I suppose you could argue that TP is young, but this is his second year. In addition, I remember the former QB Craig Krensal who started his first game against Michigan of all teams and never looked back. He was not that talented mechanically but he was probably the smartest athlete on the field and he went on to win a NC. In fact, perhaps future QB's should be screened for IQ rather than athletisim.

I hope I'm wrong but something tells me I'm not. :'(
  14. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 01:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Although my Buckeyes blew away Toledo, I watched the game and still have reservations about TP. Of course, he is the best athlete on the field, but I"m not sure he has the mentality to make the right decisions as he should. If not, no amount of coaching will turn him into a great QB. All that he will ever be is an above average QB soley because of his athl ...[text shortened]... ned for IQ rather than athletisim.

I hope I'm wrong but something tells me I'm not. :'(
    whodey....at last, we agree on something!😏
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '09 02:25
    Originally posted by bill718
    whodey....at last, we agree on something!😏
    Well, on second thought......😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree