1. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:23
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    I don't see any evidence that the competitiveness is better in Serie A than the EPL.

As I posted earlier, the difference between 1st and 4th in points at the end of the season in the EPL was:

12,16,16,30,34,24,22 (current)

In Serie A these differences were:

19,16,12,23,23,22,32 (current)

Considering Serie A plays 4 less games than the EPL, ...[text shortened]... Champion's League/European Cups:
    England clubs 10
    Italy clubs 10

Where's the difference?
    UEFA Cup in the last 20 years.

English teams.

1. Liverpool - 2001

Spanish Teams

1. Valencia - 2004
    2. Sevilla - 2006

Italian Teams.

1. Juventus - 1990, 1993
    2. Inter - 1991, 1994, 1998
    3. Parma - 1995, 1999
    4. Napoli - 1989
  2. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:262 edits
    Originally posted by Esoteric
    Go back for the last 20 years and tell me how many English clubs have won the UEFA Cup and Champions League.

EDIT: Going back 15 years (champions league. Am working on the UEFA cup).

English Winners
    Liverpool - 2005
    Man U - 1999
    Total - 2

English Runner Up
    Arsenal - 2006
    Total - 1

Italian Winners
    AC Milan - 1990, 1994, 2003
    Juve ...[text shortened]... have only had 3 finals appearances in the last 15 years, while Spain had 8 and the Italians 11.
    Why did you pick that particular time period it wouldn't be to exclude Between 1975 and 1985, when nine English teams played in the final of the European Cup, and eight times an English team lifted the trophy would it? Also don't forget we were banned for 3 years (was it?) in 1985 and also this year 2007 with 3 teams in the semi final the worst result is a mere finalist, however we could have 2 finalists, especially when you consider the english teams are first 3 in the betting.
  3. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:33
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Why did you pick that particular time period it wouldn't be to exclude Between 1975 and 1985, when nine English teams played in the final of the European Cup, and eight times an English team lifted the trophy would it? Also don't forget we were banned for 3 years (was it?) in a985 and also this year 2007 with 3 teams in the semi final the worst result is a ...[text shortened]... d have 2 finalists, especially when you consider the english teams are fisrt 3 in the betting.
    It's as far back as i could find in a short amount of time. But i think going back further than 15 to 20 years really is irrelevant in this argument as were are discussing current performance.

Anyway i have just found the full list for both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uefa_cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League
  4. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:351 edit
    It's as far back as i could find in a short amount of time. But i think going back further than 15 to 20 years really is irrelevant in this argument as were are discussing current performance.

Anyway i have just found the full list for both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uefa_cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League
    well you cannot argue with current performance, that's 3 english teams (I think it's safe to assume liverpool will make it) in the semi finals
  5. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:38
    Go back for the last 20 years and tell me how many English clubs have won the UEFA Cup and Champions League.

EDIT: Going back 15 years (champions league. Am working on the UEFA cup).

English Winners
    Liverpool - 2005
    Man U - 1999
    Total - 2

English Runner Up
    Arsenal - 2006
    Total - 1

Italian Winners
    AC Milan - 1990, 1994, 2003
    Juve ...[text shortened]... have only had 3 finals appearances in the last 15 years, while Spain had 8 and the Italians 11.
    I definitely would agree that Italian teams showed dominance during the 90's. However that was 7+ years ago, and your figures show no such dominance this decade, with a possible favour towards English teams over Italians. Note I'm not debating Spanish teams - I've already admitted their league is more competitive.

Liverpool was banned for 6 years after 1985, other English clubs for 5 years. Seeing as your figures are only back to 1991 this doesn't include the time English clubs were banned, but the 5 years of no European football did have a huge affect on the competitiveness of English clubs on the European stage.
  6. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:39
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    well you cannot argue with current performance, that's 3 english teams (I think it's safe to assume liverpool will make it) in the semi finals
    I was just responding to Elle.
  7. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:40
    I definitely would agree that Italian teams showed dominance during the 90's. However that was 7+ years ago, and your figures show no such dominance this decade, with a possible favour towards English teams over Italians. Note I'm not debating Spanish teams - I've already admitted their league is more competitive.

Liverpool was banned for 6 years afte ...[text shortened]... otball did have a huge affect on the competitiveness of English clubs on the European stage.
    Full winners list is above
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:52
    Full winners list is above
    Thanks.

So will you concede that there is no difference in competitiveness or calibre between Serie A and the EPL this decade?
  9. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:53
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Player_of_the_Year

Note the "Wins by club" section.
  10. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 12:562 edits
    Thanks.

So will you concede that there is no difference in competitiveness or calibre between Serie A and the EPL this decade?
    Yep. Seems that way. I guess it comes down to personal taste.
  11. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 17:20
    Thanks.

there is a difference, a massive one, the epl is just light years in front
  12. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 17:211 edit
    Yep. Seems that way. I guess it comes down to personal taste.
    well no, not really, it comes down to facts, we're not talking about whether you like a particular food here, we're talking about facts between the epl and the italian league, the facts are the epl is better - simple as
  13. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    11 Apr '07 23:03
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    well no, not really, it comes down to facts, we're not talking about whether you like a particular food here, we're talking about facts between the epl and the italian league, the facts are the epl is better - simple as
    What facts? You have no facts to prove this? If you think purely basing a leagues merit on the champions league result is the final measuring stick then that is ridiculous. In the last ten champions league:

English Teams have won it twice, and runners up once. Italian teams have won it twice, and runners up 3 times.

So if you want to go by that (which I disagree with using this as a measuring stick) then the Italians have a slight advantage.
  14. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 15:50

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '07 16:201 edit
    It's all about the money. The English league has got stronger over the last decade or so as it has got immeasurably richer; it's now clearly superior to Serie A (which is in a bit of a mess), and I would suggest about on a par with La Liga. With a very small number of exceptions (in South America), money will always win in the end these days. Improved scouting and players' willingness to travel anywhere in the world (for a price) make that inevitable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree