1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 22:031 edit
    italian football full of scandal (and pretty boring too lets be honest) and only valencia still flying the flag for spanish football in the champions league.... is it now time for the premiership to take the "greatest league in the world" crown?
  2. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:04
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    italian football full of scandal (and pretty boring too lets be honest) and only valencia still flying the flag for spanish football in the champions league.... is it now time for the premiership to take the "greatest league in the world" crown?
    Nope. It is still being outclassed by the Italian and Spanish leagues. I read somewhere not long ago that there are more goals scored in Serie A matches than in the EPL. I will try and track it down.
  3. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 11:09
    Originally posted by Esoteric
    Nope. It is still being outclassed by the Italian and Spanish leagues. I read somewhere not long ago that there are more goals scored in Serie A matches than in the EPL. I will try and track it down.
    spanish maybe but italian... no... the premiership has outclassed the italian league for a few years running now, and now most football journalists are in agreement the epl has outclassed the spanish...

name me three of the world's greatest players... ronaldo, henry (or gerrard) and ronaldinho... where do two of three players play?
  4. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 23:52
    spanish maybe but italian... no... the premiership has outclassed the italian league for a few years running now, and now most football journalists are in agreement the epl has outclassed the spanish...

name me three of the world's greatest players... ronaldo, henry (or gerrard) and ronaldinho... where do two of three players play?
    Ha ha ha Ronaldo??? I guessing you are talking about Christiano right. World class? C'mon, he is very good, but he is not one of the elite. I'll agree Henry is, but Gerrard? Seriously?

Want to talk about the worlds best players? Kaka, Pirlo, Cannavaro, Ronaldinho, Figo, Adriano, Ronaldo, Dida, Cafu, Messi...

When it comes to elite players you can't compare the EPL with Serie A or La Liga.

Only English people think the EPL is of a better calibre than the rest.
  5. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 07:06
    [b]

Want to talk about the worlds best players? Kaka, Pirlo, Cannavaro, Ronaldinho, Figo, Adriano, Ronaldo, Dida, Cafu, Messi...

b]
    Kaka, Ronaldinho and Messi - great players....

Adriano is just useless.....when does he ever play to his ability?? He was absolutely clueless during the world cup and I've not seen much greatness from him this season either - a shame as he is a fantastic talent.

Dida, Cafu, Ronaldo (brazilian one), Figo - are we just listing formerly great players who are now old and well past their best......come on lets have some current quality and some youngsters coming through.

I hate Cristiano Ronaldo, but he would be chosen ahead of those above by probably every manger in world football at present - he has been phenomenal this season - the only reason Utd are doing well.

As you say EPL hasn't any good players (?) - Shevchenko, Ballack, Lampard, Ronaldo, Xavi Alonso, Terry, Fabregas, Henry, Rooney.....

Coem on lest be fair - all three leagues are decent now..........
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 09:19
    Quality players go to Spain where, unlike England, the ball stays
    more time on the ground than flying -waiting for a head to push it
    and score.
  7. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 09:28
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Quality players go to Spain where, unlike England, the ball stays
    more time on the ground than flying -waiting for a head to push it
    and score.
    I reckon any player who continually gets his head to "push it and score" would be a fixture in any team and considered a great player.....after all that is the idea of the game.

The spanish game is much more technical generally - totally agree with that. Get rid of the diving, acting and general crap like that and it would be a joy to watch....

The english game is a more physical game generally - doesn't make the players worse or the game less relevant - it's just a different style of play......

And good players go to all the top leagues, not just Spain.

Ever watch Arsenal play?? They play a spanish style of play, unfortunately they sometimes struggle to match teams that "get at them" - Barca were the same when they played Liverpool this year....
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 09:54
    Originally posted by Cityblue
    I reckon any player who continually gets his head to "push it and score" would be a fixture in any team and considered a great player.....after all that is the idea of the game.

The spanish game is much more technical generally - totally agree with that. Get rid of the diving, acting and general crap like that and it would be a joy to watch....

The en ...[text shortened]... ch teams that "get at them" - Barca were the same when they played Liverpool this year....
    I totally agree. I guess then it's about what kind of football one
    likes. Those who prefer more strength definitely prefer the English
    league and those who prefer more tech go for La Liga.

Personally, I just feel that some tremendous teams in England are
    'underused' by their coach's style, really.

Then again, you have Rafa Benitez putting the Spanish seal in a
    tremendous team.

Maybe that's the problem. A new generation of coaches should come
    and shake the English league.
  9. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 10:06
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I totally agree. I guess then it's about what kind of football one
    likes. Those who prefer more strength definitely prefer the English
    league and those who prefer more tech go for La Liga.

Personally, I just feel that some tremendous teams in England are
    'underused' by their coach's style, really.

Then again, you have Rafa Benitez putting the Spanish ...[text shortened]... that's the problem. A new generation of coaches should come
    and shake the English league.
    You're probably right......maybe one day someone will manage to get the technical ability and physical ability in the same team!! That would be a great team...

I suppose Liverpool and Arsenal want to - but haven't managed it yet...

One frustrating thing from an Englishmans point of view is why our national team trys to play a technical game?! They may be Ok but againts the top teams we're simply not good enough technically......but we know that most teams don't like it when England really go at them 100mph all over the pitch!!
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 10:28
    From an entertainment point of view, look at the current La Liga table:

Team P W D L F A Pts
    Barcelona 29 16 8 5 59 27 56
    Sevilla 29 16 7 6 48 24 55
    Real Madrid 29 16 6 7 41 25 54
    Real Zaragoza 29 14 8 7 43 29 50
    Valencia 29 15 5 9 40 29 50
    Atletico Madrid 29 13 8 8 34 24 47

I sure wish the EPL would look similar to this near the end of the season. When was the last time the EPL had 6th place only 9 points off the top with only a few games to go? Over the past few EPL seasons the distance between 1st and 4th in points at the end of the season has increased - 12,16,16,30,34, to 24 last season. Currently it's 22.
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 10:59
    Hey, that's a nice approach.

Can we say it speaks about the parity and hence the good show the
    Spanish league provides to the viewers?
  12. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 12:14
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    From an entertainment point of view, look at the current La Liga table:

Team P W D L F A Pts
    Barcelona 29 16 8 5 59 27 56
    Sevilla 29 16 7 6 48 24 55
    Real Madrid 29 16 6 7 41 25 54
    Real Zaragoza 29 14 8 7 43 29 50
    Valencia 29 15 5 9 40 29 50
    Atletico Madrid 29 13 8 8 34 24 47

I sure wish the EPL ...[text shortened]... at the end of the season has increased - 12,16,16,30,34, to 24 last season. Currently it's 22.
    I think most fans in EPL agree with that view 😉
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 12:52
    Italians outclass the Premiership hands down !!!
  14. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 14:10
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Italians outclass the Premiership hands down !!!
    in terms of scandal and paid off players - yes - i agree

the italian league is special i will say that - it has the only games in the world where you can walk away, make a cup of tea, have a chat with the neighbour, come back and the ball is still in the same place
  15. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '07 14:11
    Ha ha ha Ronaldo??? I guessing you are talking about Christiano right. World class? C'mon, he is very good, but he is not one of the elite. I'll agree Henry is, but Gerrard? Seriously?

When it comes to elite players you can't c ...[text shortened]... rie A or La Liga.

Only English people think the EPL is of a better calibre than the rest.
    can you name any player under 25??? no of course you cant, they're all in the premiership... most sports writers across europe are in agreement ronaldo is now the greatest in the world.... i hate him, but i would have to agree

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree