Landon Donovan goal vs Mexico

Landon Donovan goal vs Mexico

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Out of drinks

On Clique Beach

Moves
08 Feb 07

Did anyone catch the Landon Donovan goal to close out the US vs Mexico "friendly" last night?

It was a freak play that the ball came off the referee right to Donovan. But his cut to split 3 defenders was unbelievable.

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
09 Feb 07

Originally posted by RookRAK
Did anyone catch the Landon Donovan goal to close out the US vs Mexico "friendly" last night?

It was a freak play that the ball came off the referee right to Donovan. But his cut to split 3 defenders was unbelievable.
What language is this?

'close out'?
'freak play'?
'his cut to split...'?

Stop trying to re-invent football please. It's language has been fine for 140 years, leave it alone.

d

Moves
09 Feb 07

Originally posted by blade68
What language is this?

'close out'?
'freak play'?
'his cut to split...'?

Stop trying to re-invent football please. It's language has been fine for 140 years, leave it alone.
You honestly didn't understand what he meant or are you just being petty?

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
09 Feb 07

Originally posted by darvlay
You honestly didn't understand what he meant or are you just being petty?
It's not being petty... it's about using the correct terminology for a given sport.

How would you feel about me refering to American Football thus, "the midfielder threw a great pass to the right winger who jumped over the big defenders outstretched arms and put the ball over the line to score a goal for his team..."?

R
Out of drinks

On Clique Beach

Moves
10 Feb 07

What language is this?

'close out'?
'freak play'?
'his cut to split...'?

ummm ...

'bite me'

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
10 Feb 07

Originally posted by RookRAK
ummm ...

'bite me'
It'd have been more amusing if your reply had been 'two words, beginning with and ending in F'...

...but then again that's plain English, so 'bite me' was probably the more appropriate response from someone who obviously struggles to be comprehensible!

C
Moonchester

Blue Moon

Moves
10 Feb 07

It's not being petty... it's about using the correct terminology for a given sport.

How would you feel about me refering to American Football thus, "the midfielder threw a great pass to the right winger who jumped over the big defenders outstretched arms and put the ball over the line to score a goal for his team..."?
That was a forward pass to the right winger surely :'(

But for our american cousins.........pass interference on the defence (half the distance to the goal, 1st down) 😀

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
10 Feb 07

What language is this?

'close out'?
'freak play'?
'his cut to split...'?
LOL! My thoughts exactly.

D

d

Moves
10 Feb 07
2 edits

Well, IMO, your comparison is pure exaggeration, and hence kinda garbage. And if you don't understand the word 'garbage' try replacing it with 'rubbish'.

But let's give you the benefit of the doubt, please let us know the correct terminology so we don't upset you any further.

Instead of 'freak play', what is the correct terminology? 'Bizarre'? 'Zany'? WHAT?

Instead of 'close out the game', what is the appropriate phrasing that doesn't offend?

Instead of 'cut', should I use 'surge'? 😕

&c.
&c.

You're petty. Now admit it.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
10 Feb 07

Instead of 'cut', should I use 'surge'? 😕
Hard to say. Is a "cut" a pass or a run? Can you explain the ethymology of the word?

D

d

Moves
11 Feb 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Hard to say. Is a "cut" a pass or a run? Can you explain the ethymology of the word?

D
What do you think, jeanyus?

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
11 Feb 07

Well, IMO, your comparison is pure exaggeration, and hence kinda garbage. And if you don't understand the word 'garbage' try replacing it with 'rubbish'.

But let's give you the benefit of the doubt, please let us know the correct terminology so we don't upset you any further.

Instead of 'freak play', what is the correct terminology? 'Bizarre' ...[text shortened]... cut', should I use 'surge'? 😕

&c.
&c.

You're petty. Now admit it.
Who's being petty now?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
11 Feb 07

How am I supposed to know? It could a brilliant pass which slices open the defence, or it could be an amazing run. It's non specificness tells me nothing.

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
11 Feb 07

So, I watched the highlights, and I think it was a run. Although, if it was a run, there were only 2 defenders, not 3. 😕
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lHn4otnGAeI

Does making up words and acronyms make ye feel superior to your peers because they're not up with the lingo?

How did the second goal "close out" the game? It was in the first minute of the second half? Does "close out" mean the game was finished? With 45 minutes to play?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uT3lNglJ8SE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=I_wb4j2F30M

D

d

Moves
11 Feb 07

Would you guys let me use this thread on my new website?

www.dullarguments.co.uk

Thanks in advance,

d