1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 21:50
    I made it!! I made it!! I made it through yet anther wasteland period spanning both football and baseball.

OK, so what does this year look like in baseball? What do your teams look like this year and who will challenge either Boston or the Yankees in the World Series?

Edit: Hopefully not the poor rockies again this year. How embarrassing was that? 😳
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 21:512 edits
    I suppose I will start. My team is the Reds. They look like they will do better this year, however, after last year that is not really saying much. Really the bright spot is the fact that the rest of the division looks to abysmal. That's OK, I will take what I can get!!
  3. Joined
    25 Mar '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 22:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    I made it!! I made it!! I made it through yet anther wasteland period spanning both football and baseball.

OK, so what does this year look like in baseball? What do your teams look like this year and who will challenge either Boston or the Yankees in the World Series?

Edit: Hopefully not the poor rockies again this year. How embarrassing was that? 😳
    Yes how embarassing is it to make it to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history??? Not only that but SWEEP everybody on the way to the World Series, win the play in game, and the amount of games they had to win just to get to the play in game! Yes everyone associated with the Rockeis should be VERY embarrased for everything they accomplished.
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    29 Mar '08 23:29

I do hope that the Yanks and the BoSox will at LEAST give Detroit a good fight, but it's unlikely. Theyre' both too long in the tooth, and the Tigers are a dynasty waiting to happen.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 00:102 edits
    Originally posted by 425lsu
    Yes how embarassing is it to make it to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history??? Not only that but SWEEP everybody on the way to the World Series, win the play in game, and the amount of games they had to win just to get to the play in game! Yes everyone associated with the Rockeis should be VERY embarrased for everything they accomplished.
    All good points. What I really meant, however, is I hope whoever represents the National League in the World Series does'nt get embarassed again or at least have the National League win an All-Star game for the first time in about a zillion years or something. Geesh!!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 00:11
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I do hope that the Yanks and the BoSox will at LEAST give Detroit a good fight, but it's unlikely. Theyre' both too long in the tooth, and the Tigers are a dynasty waiting to happen.
    If so, it will be a welcome addition. Maybe we can add team by team franchises that are able to compete on "the Yankee level".
  7. Joined
    25 Mar '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 00:13
    If so, it will be a welcome addition. Maybe we can add team by team franchises that are able to compete on "the Yankee level".
    The BRAVES they DOMINATED the NL EAST for years.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 00:331 edit
    Originally posted by 425lsu
    The BRAVES they DOMINATED the NL EAST for years.
    Indeed, however, they seemed to have trailed off somewhat the last couple of years.

I still have trouble forgiving the Braves for beating the Reds in the playoffs in the 1990's which would have paired them against the Indains in the World Series. Of course the Braves later went on to win the World Series
  9. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 01:21

With or without steroids?

With or without cork sticks?
  10. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 01:49

Hey at least we made it!!!

Let's hear the Cubs fans say that.

Although it was a poor showing. 🙁

Dave
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 03:11
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    [b]With or without steroids?

With or without cork sticks?[/b]
    Whatever it takes to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 03:131 edit
    Originally posted by nmdavidb

Dave
    Sorry, I did not mean to turn this thread into a bash the Rockies thread. I have nothing against them and it was nice seeing them in the World Series for the first time. Actually, I was bashing the National League more than anything and that comes from someone whos team plays in the National League.
  13. Standard memberFat mans revenge
    Pennywise Says Hi
    Up from mainstream
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 05:21
    Sorry, I did not mean to turn this thread into a bash the Rockies thread. I have nothing against them and it was nice seeing them in the World Series for the first time. Actually, I was bashing the National League more than anything and that comes from someone whos team plays in the National League.
    I think the Rockies have about as good a shot as anyone to win the pennant again this year. Much like the Padres build their roster around their ballpark, and the BoSox build their roster around their ballpark, the Rockies have finally figured out a way to win at Coors Field.

Their record-setting fielding percentage defense will be almost entirely back, and the one place where a change was made is actually an upgrade, with Jayson Nix taking over for Kazuo Matsui.

The offense is about as close to an American League lineup that you can get, only they add the dimension of speed in the lead off spot. Tulo, Holliday, Helton, Atkins and Hawpe are all .300+ hitters, with everyone bar Helton being a 25-30 HR threat. Holliday, Atkins and Hawpe each has over 100 RBIs last year, and Tulo had 99.

Starting pitching is their biggest question. Jeff Francis is the thinking man's ace. He doesn't have overpowering stuff, but is one of the best at setting guys up and knocking them down. Aaron Cook has a lot to prove, especially since they just signed him to a pretty big contract. The 3-5 spots are the scariest though. The young guys at 3 and 5 have 24 major league starts between them, but both have the potential and the ability to absolutely dominate a lineup. Mark Redman at the #4 slot is another thinker, who gets by only because he has great control. Everyone in the rotation except perhaps Morales needs to pitch to contact, and trust the great defense behind them.

The bullpen will actually be a strength for them this year. Taylor Buchholz has emerged as a very strong middle-relief guy, with Matt Herges and Kip Wells joining him for those innings. As the 7th, 8th, and 9th inning come around, Viscaino, Fuentes, and the budding closer Manny Corpas can, and will, shut down teams.

So, I think the Rockies have the best team in the NL West, and perhaps in the NL. If they do make it to the world series, I just hope they don't have a 9 DAY LAYOFF between the NLCS and the Series.

Projections:

NL West: Rockies
    NL Central: Brewers
    NL East: Phillies
    NL Wildcard: Diamondbacks

AL West: Angels
    AL Central: Tigers
    AL East: Red Sox
    AL Wildcard: Rays

NLDS: Rockies over Brewers, Phillies over Diamondbacks

ALCS: Tigers over Red Sox, Angels over Rays

NLCS: Rockies over Phillies

ALCS: Angels over Rays

World Series: Rockies over Angels

I like the Rays in the AL, and I hate the Yankees, so here's hoping their post season streak ends at 13.
  14. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 05:56
    Originally posted by nmdavidb

Dave
    Hey! 😠
  15. USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 14:52
    I live not too far away from Coors Field yet I wholehertedly support Boston, ya I recieved a lot of crap at last years World Series.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree