1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 17:16
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    We'll OWN him this year. Take it to the bank (they do still have banks in Cincinnati, right?).
    Do I hear a wager in the air, or just some more false bravado?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 18:46
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Do I hear a wager in the air, or just some more false bravado?
    I already have a $50 bet out that the Reds finish higher than .500. What do you propose?
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 21:40
    I already have a $50 bet out that the Reds finish higher than .500. What do you propose?
    You made the statement that the Reds would OWN Oswalt this year. I say they will not. Were you serious or not?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 22:21
    You made the statement that the Reds would OWN Oswalt this year. I say they will not. Were you serious or not?
    I'm serious. If you have a proposed wager, present it.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 20:12
    I'm serious. If you have a proposed wager, present it.
    Since the money is apparantly not an issue with you, nor is it with me, how about putting the spoils to some good use? Let's say the loser makes a $100.00 contibution to B.A.T. to help the old timers out. The losers contibution will be in the winner's name.

What say you?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 20:24
    Since the money is apparantly not an issue with you, nor is it with me, how about putting the spoils to some good use? Let's say the loser makes a $100.00 contibution to B.A.T. to help the old timers out. The losers contibution will be in the winner's name.

What say you?
    How about the "whodey" fund? Don't forget about the whodey fund. It all goes for a good cause I can assure you. 😀
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 20:27
    We'll OWN him this year. Take it to the bank (they do still have banks in Cincinnati, right?).
    It would be nice. I once suggested several years ago that they trade the entire ball club for Oswalt, then when I realized that Oswalt was worth way more than the whole lot of them I gave up hope of this ever happening.. :'(
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 21:152 edits
    I don't see the Reds challenging for the division this year. I do agree they should be better, but I think 4th place is the BEST they could finish, and that is if Milwaukee dives. I think St. Louis, Chicago and Houston will all finish in front of Cincy.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 21:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    How about the "whodey" fund? Don't forget about the whodey fund. It all goes for a good cause I can assure you. 😀
    Never heard of it. Must be a bunch of no names!! 😛😉
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '09 23:47
    i have the solution.

you each give me $100

and at the end of the season if the reds finish above .500 i will give no1.twit $150 and if they don't i will give shorty $150.

do we have a deal?
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 02:43
    Originally posted by trev33
    i have the solution.

you each give me $100

and at the end of the season if the reds finish above .500 i will give no1.twit $150 and if they don't i will give shorty $150.

do we have a deal?
    Your math is off a bit Trev. You should give the winner $250.00. It would be your privledge to be a part of the grand gesture.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 13:02

What say you?
    What EXACTLY is the wager?
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 13:24
    What EXACTLY is the wager?
    The Reds will not beat Oswalt over 1/2 the games he pitches against them. Oswalt must receive the loss...not the bullpen. In other words, if Oswalt pitches 5 games against the Reds, Oswalt will have to suffer the loss in 3 of those games. That would indicate he was "owned" by the Reds. If the Reds don't beat him MORE games than he beats them, you lose the bet.

The loser of the bet will pay $100.00 in the name of the winner to B.A.T., the charity to benefit the retired palyers association.
  14. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 15:01
    I predict that baseball will continue its freefall into irrelevance in 2009.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 16:141 edit
    The Reds will not beat Oswalt over 1/2 the games he pitches against them. Oswalt must receive the loss...not the bullpen. In other words, if Oswalt pitches 5 games against the Reds, Oswalt will have to suffer the loss in 3 of those games. That would indicate he was "owned" by the Reds. If the Reds don't beat him MORE games than he beats them, you lose t ...[text shortened]... in the name of the winner to B.A.T., the charity to benefit the retired palyers association.
    Baseball is a team game; if the Astros lose, they lose.

I'm also not interested in a "wager", that I can't benefit from whether I win or lose.

I decline. I'll bet YOU, that the Reds win at least 50% of the games Oswalt pitches against them. If that's 4 games and the Reds win 2, I win. It it's three games, the Reds would need to win 2. Considering that Oswalt is 21-1 against them lifetime, that's more than fair.

I don't bet more than $50 on any sports event except, on rare occasions, the Super Bowl. This is a side wager on a fairly exotic point. $20 is my limit for this type of bet.

And what the winner decides to do with HIS money, is HIS business.

So, $20 that the Reds win at least 50% of the games Oswalt starts against them. In or out?

EDIT: As an alternative, I'd bet $10 per game for each game in the Red-Astro season series with the loser paying after the last game of the season series. For example, if the Reds win the series series 7-5, you'd pay me $20. If the Astros won the series 8-4, I'd pay you $40. If the teams went 6-6, it would be a push.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree