MLB Predictions

MLB Predictions

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
29 May 09

Originally posted by quackquack
I didn't think Toronto would finish in first but despite all the injuries their season has been very encouraging. One bad week for a team that started playing .650 ball does not mean they will finish last.
hehe,one could also say that one month playing 650 ball doesn't mean they will finish first either.

Madison Square Garde

Moves
30 May 09

Originally posted by uzless
I think you've moved into opinion terroritory instead of facts. Hero and Idol are two different things, but i don't want to get into semantics 15 minutes from beer, er uh, home time.

I did say my jackie robinson thread was tongue in cheek. But not the way you made it out to be. I was jokingly trying to get some attention thrown on the white guys in ba ...[text shortened]... t it. Me saying JR doesn't meet my definition of a hero in no way reflects poorly on JR.
Stop talking apples and oranges... Jackie was a hero

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
01 Jun 09

Originally posted by YEAH BOY
Stop talking apples and oranges... Jackie was a hero
statements are just opinions until they are backed up with facts

M

Moves
02 Jun 09
2 edits

statements are just opinions until they are backed up with facts
for me, one definition of "hero" is being willing to stand up for what you believe in, even (especially) when you risk being persecuted or attacked - where it's easier to remain silent

Jackie Robinson could've remained "silent" by playing in the negro leagues like all the black players were "supposed to do". He knew it wasn't just about his own right to play in the majors, but for all non-whites who would come after him. He knew he would face much persecution from every possible angle, including possible risks to his life, and he didn't back down.

This makes him a hero.

Likewise, Branch Rickey is a hero, as are all the players and fans who actively stood up in support of Robinson's right to play in the majors, and willingly took the abuse from the "traditionalists"

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
02 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Melanerpes
for me, one definition of "hero" is being willing to stand up for what you believe in, even (especially) when you risk being persecuted or attacked - where it's easier to remain silent

Jackie Robinson could've remained "silent" by playing in the negro leagues like all the black players were "supposed to do". He knew it wasn't just about his own right t ight to play in the majors, and willingly took the abuse from the "traditionalists"
Do white people think of Jackie Robinson as a hero? Or do they think of him as a man with great courage who went against the establishment to pursue his goals? What makes Jackie Robinson a hero to white people? If you asked a white person to list their heros, how far down that list would jackie robinson be? Would he even be on it?

Ask a black man for a list of heros. Jackie would likely be on that list.

This disparity. Does it still make him a hero? Can you still be a true hero if only a certain segment of the population view you as such?

If so, then we are reducing the term "hero" to one that is dependant on other people's opinion, rather than the actions of the hero himself.

The correct word here is "IDOL"

q

Moves
18 Jun 09

Do white people think of Jackie Robinson as a hero? Or do they think of him as a man with great courage who went against the establishment to pursue his goals? What makes Jackie Robinson a hero to white people? If you asked a white person to list their heros, how far down that list would jackie robinson be? Would he even be on it?

Ask a black man for a ...[text shortened]... 's opinion, rather than the actions of the hero himself.

The correct word here is "IDOL"
I used google and the first definition of hero that I could find is "a man distiniguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength".

In a time when blacks were excluded from eating, drinking, traveling and playing on the same field as whites it took a great deal of courage to stand up for his belief (that segregation was wrong). He received death threats; he got the cold shoulder from certain teammates and opponents and even faced criticism from his segments of his own people who thought that he would just make things worse for them. Nevertheless, felt his skin color should not deny him the same opportunities as white and that perhaps he could make baseball and American society a better place. So I would make (the very easy) arguement that Jackie Robinson was a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength and thus a hero.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
19 Jun 09

I used google and the first definition of hero that I could find is "a man distiniguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength".

In a time when blacks were excluded from eating, drinking, traveling and playing on the same field as whites it took a great deal of courage to stand up for his belief (that segregation was wrong). He received ...[text shortened]... nson was a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength and thus a hero.
you left out the example given for that defintion....

"RAF pilots were the heroes of the Battle of Britain"

The pilots gave their lives in order to save their country from the tryanny of Hitler and the Nazi's. That's why they were called heros.

Jackie Robinson played baseball.

q

Moves
19 Jun 09

Jackie Robinson easily could have been killed (Martin Luther King ended up giving his life). It is the willingness to give your life, not the actual dying that takes courage.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
12 Aug 09

I didn't think Toronto would finish in first but despite all the injuries their season has been very encouraging. One bad week for a team that started playing .650 ball does not mean they will finish last.
You sure about that?

q

Moves
12 Aug 09

You sure about that?
Yes, they are 7.5 games ahead on Baltimore. They seem very unlikely to finish last.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
12 Aug 09

Yes, they are 7.5 games ahead on Baltimore. They seem very unlikely to finish last.
They're in salary dump mode right now....we shall see.

q

Moves
12 Aug 09

They still have a bona fide ace and a 7.5 game lead. I'd be really surprised if they blow that kind of lead

d

Moves
05 Oct 09

Bump.

Some good predicitions made at the start of this thread. Except for uzless who name-dropped such AMAZING players like Alex Casilla, Mike Pelfrey, JJ Hardy, Oliver Perez... 😵

Moves
05 Oct 09

who else said the rockies would be in the playoffs?

😏

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
08 Oct 09
1 edit

Originally posted by darvlay
Bump.

Some good predicitions made at the start of this thread. Except for uzless who name-dropped such AMAZING players like Alex Casilla, Mike Pelfrey, JJ Hardy, Oliver Perez... 😵
Hey, I was right on 5 outta the 8 teams, AND iwas right about there only being 18000 fans in the skydome as the Jays fought Baltimore for last place.

Still no word on whether jays fans think clark or domi is there favourite player though....