Ohio State vs. Penn. State tonight in Happy Val...

Ohio State vs. Penn. State tonight in Happy Val...

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
01 Nov 07

Originally posted by Red Night
Why the anti-Big 10 crusade?

Did you get rejected by the admissions department as a youth?
Leave him be. I can only hope that this is the consensus opinion. I much prefer the Buckeys to be underrated going into a game than viewed as a real threat.

m

Moves
01 Nov 07

I guess I understand your logic. Only count the one game a year you like. Last year Florida vs. Ohio State. This year Michigan vs. Appalachean State. Big Ten road wins from last year? you just dismiss them. Wisconsin's beating of an SEC team in bowl game. Call it a fluke. Notre Dame's only win is against a team with just one loss in the PAC 10.. ignore it. USC loses to a team that is as bad as any team in a BCS conference ... don't count it.

w

Moves
01 Nov 07
1 edit

I hear Oregon and Arizona State are going to suite up and play each other this Saturday. I say Oregon will take them by at least 10 points!! I wonder if a win by either club would merit a passing of LSU at number 3? That is assuming OSU and BC remain undefeated.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Nov 07
1 edit

Originally posted by myteamtrulystinks
I guess I understand your logic. Only count the one game a year you like. Last year Florida vs. Ohio State. This year Michigan vs. Appalachean State. Big Ten road wins from last year? you just dismiss them. Wisconsin's beating of an SEC team in bowl game. Call it a fluke. Notre Dame's only win is against a team with just one loss in the PAC ...[text shortened]... e it. USC loses to a team that is as bad as any team in a BCS conference ... don't count it.
Are you mentally challenged??? How about Oregon's destruction of Michigan in Ann Arbor? I pointed out that the Big ten doesn't have a single quality non-conference win this year and you've ignored that fact. Yes, Wisconsin and Penn State won bowl games last year; 5 other Big Ten teams lost, 3 of which were blown out. Seeing a pattern here, genius?

There was a good article in USA Today yesterday pointing out that Big Ten teams have won only two national championships since 1968 (Miami has won 5 on its own) and that the Big Ten is 17-29 in Rose Bowl games since the writer was born. Big Ten teams are overrated due to regional biases in the voting and nostalgia; the league has been second rate for a long time. And it's getting worse.

m

Moves
02 Nov 07

Listen you obnoxious jerk, you want to talk about the biggest joke about college football, it is that southern and west coast teams get bowl games as home games. The Rose bowl is the worst of them all especially when USC and UCLA play in it. Playing in different conditions without your fans and "home cooking" refereing certianly doesn't make things easier. It is also is interesting how a mental midget like yourself can talk about history but always dismiss the facts as "last year" when they don't support you argument. You know road games make a difference because when it is something you have brought up in this thread when SEC teams lose (of course you dismiss last years Big 10 domination in road games against top teams because it is incovenient for you) or the fact that USC spanked a "quality" SEC team by more than 5 touchdown on the road because it was last year. I never said Big 10 programs were as dominant (or as corrupt) as Miami.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Nov 07
1 edit

Listen you obnoxious jerk, you want to talk about the biggest joke about college football, it is that southern and west coast teams get bowl games as home games. The Rose bowl is the worst of them all especially when USC and UCLA play in it. Playing in different conditions without your fans and "home cooking" refereing certianly doesn't make thi was last year. I never said Big 10 programs were as dominant (or as corrupt) as Miami.
Gee, being at home didn't help powerhouse Michigan this year; they lost to a non-division I team and then got blown off their own field by Oregon. The Big Ten didn't dominate anything last year; being "no2" in September doesn't mean ANYTHING. When the Big Ten teams got their chance on the big stage they got destroyed. The same thing will happen again this year if OSU gets sent to the BCS Championship.

If Big Ten teams feel it's soooooooooooooooo unfair to play in bowl games that have been held in the same place for, oh, about a 100 years in the case of the Rose Bowl, let them stay home. Then clowns like you can claim that they are the best teams in the country because they beat Akron 20-2.

And the "home cooking" that Florida got in the BCS Championship Game last year, which was played in PHOENIX, ARIZONA was really unfair!

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
02 Nov 07

OH, this is delightful!!!

No1M 42
Big 10 fans 0

m

Moves
02 Nov 07

If you think the system is fair suggest a fair one. The most unfair thing still is regional favoritism for bowl games. If you don't want to change that then don't complain when the system picks a team that played one bad game last year. Of course, Michigan played poorly against Oregon. It does not mean that Ohio State isn't a top 2 team (see AP, see computer polls, see whatever you want -- no one else is disputing their status). Ohio State has been dominant the past two seasons... all you see is their one loss. Maybe polls see something you don't. I wouldn't say LSU stinks even though they lost to a three loss team this year. Your can't just pick and choose games and feel you have a fair argument.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Nov 07

If you think the system is fair suggest a fair one. The most unfair thing still is regional favoritism for bowl games. If you don't want to change that then don't complain when the system picks a team that played one bad game last year. Of course, Michigan played poorly against Oregon. It does not mean that Ohio State isn't a top 2 team (see AP ...[text shortened]... team this year. Your can't just pick and choose games and feel you have a fair argument.
Actually I don't think the system is unfair; I think the way people vote based on regional preferences and nostalgia is unfair.

For the record, the computers have BC 1st and have Arizona state tied with Ohio State. http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/polls
Presumably a ASU win over Oregon would lift them above OSU in the computer rankings, but you can bet sportswriters and coaches would keep the Buckeyes no1. I don't see OSU as being "dominant"; they've played a crap schedule esp. in their non-conference games. Hanging 20 whole points on Akron, a sub-.500 MAC team, doesn't look terribly "dominant" to me.

m

Moves
02 Nov 07

Yeah, every team should be like the florida schools and put up 90 on a team with less talent just so they can show they are better. They obviously held akrons offense to 0 points... I think it is silly to count points in a game like that.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Nov 07
1 edit

Yeah, every team should be like the florida schools and put up 90 on a team with less talent just so they can show they are better. They obviously held akrons offense to 0 points... I think it is silly to count points in a game like that.
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/boxscore?gameId=200709080033

Ohio State led only 3-2 at the half and only 6-2 until 6 minutes were left in the third quarter. The fact that a sub .500 MAC team can stay in the game for all of 2 and a half quarters against OSU shows how "dominant" they are.

EDIT: Compare with http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/boxscore?gameId=200709010020

Where Kansas playing Central Michigan, the best team in the MAC, led 35-0 at the half.

m

Moves
02 Nov 07

I actually hate Ohio State, but if they win out they out they will play for a national championship. If they don't win out, then the games on the field decided it. I am not sure why this is so upsetting to you.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Nov 07

I actually hate Ohio State, but if they win out they out they will play for a national championship. If they don't win out, then the games on the field decided it. I am not sure why this is so upsetting to you.
For all the reasons I've given, Ohio State deserves to be ranked behind Arizona State, Kansas and Boston College. If they win out and two of those teams don't, they deserve to be in the Championship game but not otherwise. A team that has a problem shaking Akron isn't a no1 team if there are other unbeatens who have played tougher schedules with more impressive results. What "you hate" is irrelevant and trying to personalize the issue is juvenile.

m

Moves
02 Nov 07

BC was awful against notre dame. Far worse than any of the big ten teams were. But better than one-loss pac ten team UCLA who gave Notre Dame it's only win. I am curious how you will use this to show that the Big 10 stinks. At any rate, using your logic, BC should be eliminated from the championship picture. Kansas has beaten absolutely no one and that is why their poll ratings are low. Ohio State has been better than those teams and its tough part of the schedule is coming up too.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
02 Nov 07
1 edit

BC was awful against notre dame. Far worse than any of the big ten teams were. But better than one-loss pac ten team UCLA who gave Notre Dame it's only win. I am curious how you will use this to show that the Big 10 stinks. At any rate, using your logic, BC should be eliminated from the championship picture. Kansas has beaten absolutely no one a ...[text shortened]... hio State has been better than those teams and its tough part of the schedule is coming up too.
I've already showed that Kansas' schedule was far tougher than OSU's; please have someone less moronic than you are read that post to you.

EDIT: Here I'll help:

Kansas' schedule has been much tougher than Ohio State's. Scoff at Central Michigan if you want, but they are in 1st place in the MAC and Kansas beat them 52-7. By way of contrast, Ohio State struggled against sub-.500 Akron and beat Kent State, which is in last place in the MAC (Toledo also has a better record than both). Ohio State's other non-conference wins are against non-Div I Youngstown State and Washington, which is in last place in the PAC-10.

Kansas has won on the road in Colorado (which Oklahoma couldn't do but is still ranked ahead of undefeated Kansas for some bizarre reason) and against Texas A&M (6-3) and Kansas State (which drubbed Texas); those are the only home losses either has suffered. There's simply no comparison between Kansas' acheivements against tough competition and Ohio State's struggles against medicore (at best) teams.

BC was more impressive against Notre Dame than OSU was against Akron. At any rate, I'd put BC 3rd as I already stated.