1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 15:141 edit
    If, and this is a big if, the Patriots manage to go undefeated this season, this game will be a stain on the record. As if it wasn't tough enough to be the Patriots head up, now you have to beat the refs as well. Too many convenient calls. I was also surprised Gaffney's game winning TD wasn't reviewed more closely. I am not sure whether he had control when he stepped out of bounds. It was close, too close not to have been looked at for a while. The call on the play before could have been scripted. Belichik and Brady got their Christmas early.
  2. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 15:17
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    If, and this is a big if, the Patriots manage to go undefeated this season, this game will be a stain on the record. As if it wasn't tough enough to be the Patriots head up, now you have to beat the refs as well. Too many convenient calls. I was also surprised Gaffney's game winning TD wasn't reviewed more closely. I am not sure whether he had control w ...[text shortened]... ll on the play before could have been scripted. Belichek and Brady got their Christmas early.
    Wasn't there a 4th down and 6 where the patriots went for it and got? Memory escapes me right now, but darn
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 15:331 edit
    If, and this is a big if, the Patriots manage to go undefeated this season, this game will be a stain on the record. As if it wasn't tough enough to be the Patriots head up, now you have to beat the refs as well. Too many convenient calls. I was also surprised Gaffney's game winning TD wasn't reviewed more closely. I am not sure whether he had control w ...[text shortened]... ll on the play before could have been scripted. Belichik and Brady got their Christmas early.
    lol! First off, NFL and refs are doing everything they can to NOT let NE win... yet still they do.

They did review the play, and he had the ball under control with 2 feet in.

If they were to reverse that call, nothing ever would be called a catch. 2 hands on the ball, 2 steps and out.

Do you really think NFL and even the refs want these guys to go undefeated? You are sadly mistaken.

P-
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 15:391 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    lol! First off, NFL and refs are doing everything they can to NOT let NE win... yet still they do.

They did review the play, and he had the ball under control with 2 feet in.

If they were to reverse that call, nothing ever would be called a catch. 2 hands on the ball, 2 steps and out.

Do you really think NFL and even the refs want these guys to go undefeated? You are sadly mistaken.

P-
    Why wouldn't the NFL? There's nothing much else going on in the league; most of the divisional races are blowouts.

I haven't seen the play closely, so I have no opinion. Personally I don't like when people whine about the calls though Patriot fans do even when they win!
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 15:41
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Why wouldn't the NFL? There's nothing much else going on in the league; most of the divisional races are blowouts.

I haven't seen the play closely, so I have no opinion. Personally I don't like when people whine about the calls though Patriot fans do even when they win!
    I don't think NFL wants "the cheating Pats" to get so much glory... but either way it's a win win for NFL.

Like you said, not much else is going on. I just feel the NFL would prefer these cheating Pats don't make ultimate history.

P-
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 15:44
    I don't think NFL wants "the cheating Pats" to get so much glory... but either way it's a win win for NFL.

Like you said, not much else is going on. I just feel the NFL would prefer these cheating Pats don't make ultimate history.

P-
    Maybe they want them to go 15-0 and play for the undefeated season on ................. THE NFL NETWORK!!!!

In rassling, you have to have bad guys, Phlab; same for the NFL (the Raiders in the 70's and 80's for example).
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 15:52
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Maybe they want them to go 15-0 and play for the undefeated season on ................. THE NFL NETWORK!!!!

In rassling, you have to have bad guys, Phlab; same for the NFL (the Raiders in the 70's and 80's for example).
    How about the slur campaign at the beginning of the game... They did #VERYTHING they could to paint Bill in a bad light.

SHAME THEM!

P-
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 16:23
    If, and this is a big if, the Patriots manage to go undefeated this season, this game will be a stain on the record. As if it wasn't tough enough to be the Patriots head up, now you have to beat the refs as well. Too many convenient calls. I was also surprised Gaffney's game winning TD wasn't reviewed more closely. I am not sure whether he had control w ...[text shortened]... ll on the play before could have been scripted. Belichik and Brady got their Christmas early.
    The Ravens also got a lot of help from themselves. The coaching staff called an ill-timed timeout which would have resulted in a turnover on downs.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 16:281 edit
    Exactly what call did the refs make that was not correct?

As you mentioned the Gaffney touchdown was close and could have gone either way. The ref on the field ruled it a catch and therefore you need conclusive evidence to overturn it. In looking at the replay it is inconclusive and so the call on the field stands. You can't blame the ref for the call on the field. It looked like a catch and judging by the reply it probably was a catch. Even so they would have had three more shots at it.

The defensive holding call on the play before was totally legit. The receiver was grappled and interfered with before the ball arrived. They could have called it pass interference as well. That was clear in the reply. It was a stupid play by the defense. They probably could have defended that pass easy enough without bear hugging the receiving.

You're right Christmas came early for NE. But the present that was handed to them was from the Ravens not the officials.

It is completely the Ravens fault for losing this game. They played very well for ALMOST the entire game. They choked on the last drive.

Oh and by the way, you don't mention how Asante Samuel was absolutely mugged on the last hail mary throw that enabled the Ravens to catch that ball. Its a good thing that didn't go for a touchdown because then you really would have had a travesty.
  10. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 17:00
    Will the Refs from that game get Super Bowl rings when the Pats win?

They certainly deserve them.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 17:041 edit
    Originally posted by Red Night

Quit your crying before I GIVE you something cry about.

The Refs didn't call the time out. The refs didn't throw the flag in the stands. The refs didn't fumble the interception. The refs didn't throw the ball in the middle of the field with 8 seconds left.

ETC!

P-

Jim Rome just said the same thing I said, and a bit more. Quit Yer Whining!
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 18:51
    Originally posted by Red Night

So last nights game decided the outcome of the Superbowl? Interesting.
  13. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 20:051 edit
    Quit your crying before I GIVE you something cry about.

The Refs didn't call the time out. The refs didn't throw the flag in the stands. The refs didn't fumble the interception. The refs didn't throw the ball in the middle of the field with 8 seconds left.

ETC!

P-

Jim Rome just said the same thing I said, and a bit more. Quit Yer Whining!
    In a way I think that 4th down time out call set off the whole thing. Why did the refs wait until after the play was over to let everyone know there was a time out. Had the Pats made the first would they have allowed the time out or just played dumb? You could tell the Baltimore players were upset and rightfully so. It just got worse from that point on. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have held their composure but I think they knew they weren't going to be able to get the job done and they were sick about it. The refs let a lot of things go when they want to, but they helped pour gas on the flames. Pats won the game but the touchdown was real close. Moving the ball from one hand to the other would not be considered controlling the ball, had it been Terrell Owens catching the ball. Count on it.

I think the real story is that New England might need some rest, they look sluggish.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 20:102 edits
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    In a way I think that 4th down time out call set off the whole thing. Why did the refs wait until after the play was over to let everyone know there was a time out. Had the Pats made the first would they have allowed the time out or just played dumb? You could tell the Baltimore players were upset and rightfully so. It just got worse from that point on. it.

I think the real story is that New England might need some rest, they look sluggish.
    If you watch the reply showing the Ravens sideline you will clearly see that the ref nearest to the sideline heard the call for timeout and signalled for it before the ball was snapped. You can see the ref clearly waving his arms signalling no play and running towards the players before the ball is snapped. So your suggestion that the call was made after the play is flat out wrong.

You are right about the Pats looking a bit sluggish. It does bring up the question as to whether they are going to be better off giving their starters some much needed rest for the last game or two or going for the undefeated record?
  15. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '07 20:12
    The game was legit, the refs were legit, the calls were legit. EVERY NFL game has controversial calls, its the nature of the game. The truth of the matter is that NE is looking more and more beatable as the season wears on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree