Pics for Sundays NFL playoffs?

Pics for Sundays NFL playoffs?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 12

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
Saying the "only stat that matters" was a bit of hyperbole on my part, as unscoring yards do help defensively with field position.

BTW, I never tried to claim the Giants defensive performance wasn't better than the Niners last week. It most certainly was.

Now, are you going to credit the 49ers offense for going "even wilder!" on Saturday?
If you followed the conversation, you'd know I was responding to tomtom's claim that "the Niners have a ten times better defense than the Giants." That may have been true for most of the regular season, but it hasn't been true in the last four weeks.

The Niners offense won't be playing against the Saints defense this Sunday.

U

Moves
20 Jan 12

Originally posted by no1marauder
If you followed the conversation, you'd know I was responding to tomtom's claim that "the Niners have a ten times better defense than the Giants." That may have been true for most of the regular season, but it hasn't been true in the last four weeks.

The Niners offense won't be playing against the Saints defense this Sunday.
And visa versa.

I will admit, you actually make really good arguments. The thing is I believe in Coach Harbaugh and I'm sold on his brilliance. There's already been a few games this year where I said, "OK, this is one we will lose" and the Niners end up pulling out a win somehow.

A guy I work with used to play semi-pro football. As he explained to me, what the coach brings most to the table is technical. I used to think it was all about how they "inspire" players and how he goes about training. But according to him (and he has a very high football IQ), by far the most important contribution of the coach is about the X's and O's.

Watching us win so many games I was sure we would lose, I truly believe he's the master at tailoring a game plan and practices to just the recipe to beat specific teams.

t

Moves
20 Jan 12

The Packers played 3 games at home against teams that made the playoffs this year and averaged 45 points per game in three wins. Overall they played 5 games against playoff teams and scored 40 points per game. Last year, in case you forgot, they won the Super Bowl.

None of the "better teams" managed to "expose" them until last Sunday.
Last year they had a better defence.

They were exposed by KCC late in the season. The Lions just didn't get the memo.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 12
1 edit

And visa versa.

I will admit, you actually make really good arguments. The thing is I believe in Coach Harbaugh and I'm sold on his brilliance. There's already been a few games this year where I said, "OK, this is one we will lose" and the Niners end up pulling out a win somehow.

A guy I work with used to play semi-pro football. As he expla aster at tailoring a game plan and practices to just the recipe to beat specific teams.
The Giants weren't at full strength two months ago when they played the Niners nor were they playing anywhere near the level they are playing now, but Eli still threw for over 300 yards, they had almost 400 yards of total offense and put together 5 drives of 70 yards or more. This offense can move on the 49er defense and I'm not sure the converse is true. If Big Blue doesn't lose the turnover battle, I think they are a better team right now than San Fran and should win.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 12

Originally posted by tomtom232
Last year they had a better defence.

They were exposed by KCC late in the season. The Lions just didn't get the memo.
Sure any team that loses one game has been "exposed" and every other decent team should have no problem beating them.🙄

U

Moves
20 Jan 12

The Giants weren't at full strength two months ago when they played the Niners nor were they playing anywhere near the level they are playing now, but Eli still threw for over 300 yards, they had almost 400 yards of total offense and put together 5 drives of 70 yards or more. This offense can move on the 49er defense and I'm not sure the converse is true ...[text shortened]... e the turnover battle, I think they are a better team right now than San Fran and should win.
Coach Haraugh actually spoke at length about how different the team is at a press conference.

I totally agree with you that turnovers will be key, but it's extreme tough for any team to move the ball on the Niners and not turn the ball over. What's more they protect the football very well. Take a look at the + turnover ratio of the Niners. It's insane.

Incidentally, last I checked the Niners were favored to win by 2.5 points. They were favored to lose to the Saints by 3.5

I'm assuming the Packers were a big favorite, but I didn't look it up.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 12

Coach Haraugh actually spoke at length about how different the team is at a press conference.

I totally agree with you that turnovers will be key, but it's extreme tough for any team to move the ball on the Niners and not turn the ball over. What's more they protect the football very well. Take a look at the + turnover ratio of the Niners ...[text shortened]... he Saints by 3.5

I'm assuming the Packers were a big favorite, but I didn't look it up.
The Packers were 7.5 point favorites. And their turnover ratio was almost as good as San Fran's: +20 v. +24.

What would the "normal" spread be for a game between a 9-7 team and a 13-3 team played at the 13-3 team's home field? At least 10 points. That's the Niners are favored by only 2.5 says that Vegas thinks the Giants are just as good as San Fran now and that on a neutral field it would be a Pick 'em or Big Blue would be slight favorites.

t

Moves
20 Jan 12

Sure any team that loses one game has been "exposed" and every other decent team should have no problem beating them.🙄
There is no point arguing with you. I said any of the better teams in the playoffs, not just any decent team. I predicted they would lose in the first round and I was right... They just weren't as good as their record.

U

Moves
20 Jan 12

The Packers were 7.5 point favorites. And their turnover ratio was almost as good as San Fran's: +20 v. +24.

What would the "normal" spread be for a game between a 9-7 team and a 13-3 team played at the 13-3 team's home field? At least 10 points. That's the Niners are favored by only 2.5 says that Vegas thinks the Giants are just as good ...[text shortened]... and that on a neutral field it would be a Pick 'em or Big Blue would be slight favorites.
Well, come on. If they were 7.5 point under dogs to the 15 - 1 packers, I don't where you get 10 points from.

I do think the teams are very close.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Jan 12

Well, come on. If they were 7.5 point under dogs to the 15 - 1 packers, I don't where you get 10 points from.

I do think the teams are very close.
I said that would be a "normal" spread for teams with such records. The point is, the Giants are not a "normal" 9-7 team; they have gotten healthy and peaked at the right time.

The Pats were 13-3 and Denver 8-8 and New England was favored by 14. That's "normal".

U

Moves
21 Jan 12

I said that would be a "normal" spread for teams with such records. The point is, the Giants are not a "normal" 9-7 team; they have gotten healthy and peaked at the right time.

The Pats were 13-3 and Denver 8-8 and New England was favored by 14. That's "normal".
That's a valid point. But in reality it's an 11 – 7 team versus a 14 – 3 team.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Jan 12

Interesting info from ESPN:

Everyone's expecting a tough, hard-fought game, but the Giants really haven't been playing those. They have won their first two playoff games, against the Falcons and Packers, by a combined score of 61-22. And according to ESPN Stats & Information, the Giants are the fifth team since 1990 to win their first two playoff games by at least 17 points. Of the previous four, three won the Super Bowl -- the 1991 Redskins, the 1996 Packers and the 2002 Buccaneers. The only one of those teams that didn't win the Super Bowl was the 2002 Raiders, who lost to those aforementioned 2002 Buccaneers. The 49ers are an imposing foe, to be be sure, but the scores so far hint that it's at least possible that the Giants are on the same kind of run those other teams were.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/giants-49ers-conference-2011

U

Moves
21 Jan 12

Interesting info from ESPN:

Everyone's expecting a tough, hard-fought game, but the Giants really haven't been playing those. They have won their first two playoff games, against the Falcons and Packers, by a combined score of 61-22. And according to ESPN Stats & Information, the Giants are the fifth team since 1990 to win their first two ...[text shortened]... er teams were.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/giants-49ers-conference-2011
How about an avatar bet? If the 49ers win you have to wear a 49ers avatar on RHP from now through the Superbowl. If the Giants win I'll wear the team of your choice.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Jan 12

How about an avatar bet? If the 49ers win you have to wear a 49ers avatar on RHP from now through the Superbowl. If the Giants win I'll wear the team of your choice.
I've already bet the game. I don't mess with my Marauder.

U

Moves
21 Jan 12

I've already bet the game. I don't mess with my Marauder.
Did you bet something that would prevent a temp avatar change?