1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 19:56
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I think that, at best, that's an indirect free-kick.

Of course, we can debate endlessly about the words "attempts", "careless", "reckless" or "excessive force" but any consistent view of the practice of refereeing would realize that only very rash and dangerous challenges are ever awarded a free-kick without contact.
    Law 12 – Fouls & Misconduct
    -------
    Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

* kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    * trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    * jumps at an opponent
    * charges an opponent
    * strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
    * pushes an opponent
    -----

I think it's fairly clear cut. If Ngog had kept running, he'd have been tripped by a sliding tackle which hadn't won the ball. He may also have a broken bone (the most inocuous of tackles can result in that), but he hurdled (dived?!) the tackle. Penalty!

D
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 20:03
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Law 12 – Fouls & Misconduct
    -------
    Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

* kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    * trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    * jumps at an opponent ...[text shortened]... inocuous of tackles can result in that), but he hurdled (dived?!) the tackle. Penalty!

D
    So predictable and boring. I already commented on that law. Or do you think I chose the cited words in my previous post at random?

A broken bone? 😵
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '09 22:06
    i'm torn on this, at first i thought pen after seeing the reply, dive, no pen. thinking about it i'm not so sure, it was a clumsys tackle.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 12:58
    So predictable and boring. I already commented on that law. Or do you think I chose the cited words in my previous post at random?
    Why do you think people should form opinions based on a couple of cherry picked words rather than the whole text of the law?

D
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 14:51

I think it's fairly clear cut. If Ngog had kept running, he'd have been tripped by a sliding tackle which hadn't won the ball. He may also have a broken bone (the most inocuous of tackles can result in that), but he hurdled (dived?!) the tackle. Penalty!

D
    Doesn't look that clear-cut to me. That wording suggests that intent is not required if contact is made, but intent is required otherwise. And it didn't look intentional to me.

Or, that matter, either manager, or any of the referees who have made an official comment. For example Keith Hackett:

"We will sit down and go through what the referee could have done to avoid this error....

"I'll tell you this, I know Peter Walton very well and he will be upset when he views the DVD of this particular decision."
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 15:39
    Why do you think people should form opinions based on a couple of cherry picked words rather than the whole text of the law?

D
    That's what YOU are doing when you disregard the practice of refereeing and choose to focus on your personal subjective interpretation of the law. I cited the practice and mentioned the subjectivity of the law. It left you unfazed and you still went right into it.

Dullards often do that when they miss the point. It's a fact of life.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 19:36
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Doesn't look that clear-cut to me. That wording suggests that intent is not required if contact is made, but intent is required otherwise. And it didn't look intentional to me.

Or, that matter, either manager, or any of the referees who have made an official comment. For example Keith Hackett:

"We will sit down and go through what the referee could ha ...[text shortened]... Walton very well and he will be upset when he views the DVD of this particular decision."
    Well, as the man who issues the interpretations to the referees in the English FA via directives, you have to accept his interpretation of it.

I've seen other instances of fouls given on the basis of intent only, although they were given on the basis of the tackle being intentionally dangerous, I guess.

I'm not sure why an attacker should be penalised for trying to avoid a tackle. While Ngog's "avoidance" was a dive, if he hadn't dived, he would definitely have been tripped by Carsley's legs after they had missed the ball.

D
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    11 Nov '09 19:47
    That's what YOU are doing when you disregard the practice of refereeing and choose to focus on your personal subjective interpretation of the law. I cited the practice and mentioned the subjectivity of the law. It left you unfazed and you still went right into it.

Dullards often do that when they miss the point. It's a fact of life.
    That's what I am doing? Umm, reread my post. Twice if you have to.

I know it's a difficult concept for an egomaniac like your self, but there are other people on the forums reading the posts. Some of whom may not be aware of the exact wording of the law.

And why would my subjectiveness be in favour of Liverpoo? What Ngog did was take all of the media attention and give Gerrard a free dive.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree