1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 19:161 edit
    I have daringly predicted that my beloved Cincinnati Reds will finish over .500 this year after 8 straights years of finishing below that mark. Hopefully this thread can be maintained throughout the year showcasing this historic achievement.

For all the multitude of Red fans out there, I have a question: should Dusty start Dickerson in left tomorrow against Johan Santana? Or should he use a right handed bat like Jerry Hairston or Johnny Gomes? The southpaw Santana is a tough assignment for a young lefty bat like Dickerson, but Chris has been hitting really well in the spring and may have earned the shot.

Opinions?

EDIT: I see Gomes was sent down today.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 21:45
    Well, technically, Santana is a tough assignment for a seasoned veteran too. Granted, a rookie might be a liitle more overmatched than a veteran, but sometimes you have to play the kids and let them learn on the job and take their cuts. The example I use is Hunter Pence who a few years ago emeged from AA ball to the show and has never looked back. There were times he was overmatched, but there were also times that he amazed. If the kid is good enough to play, you play him.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 04:45
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I have daringly predicted that my beloved Cincinnati Reds will finish over .500 this year after 8 straights years of finishing below that mark. Hopefully this thread can be maintained throughout the year showcasing this historic achievement.

For all the multitude of Red fans out there, I have a question: should Dusty start Dickerson in left ...[text shortened]... nd may have earned the shot.

Opinions?

EDIT: I see Gomes was sent down today.
    I gotta say, I love Dickerson. In fact, I think he is one of their brightest talents offensively and should play day in and day out and lets see what he can do regardless of who's pitching. Looking at the stats of the opener today, however, it appears that Crusty opted not to start him. They then proceeded to score only one run. Go figure?
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 05:46
    Reds 2009 record 0-1 - 1 game below .500
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Apr '09 12:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    I gotta say, I love Dickerson. In fact, I think he is one of their brightest talents offensively and should play day in and day out and lets see what he can do regardless of who's pitching. Looking at the stats of the opener today, however, it appears that Crusty opted not to start him. They then proceeded to score only one run. Go figure?
    Second guessing after the game is bush. If you thought Dickerson should have started against Santana, you should have said so.

It was a good game despite the miserable conditions. Jay Bruce missed an HR by a couple of feet and made a good throw home to get a tip toeing David Wright. Harang struggled with his command, but still 5 innings and only 1 run is a good day's work against one of the NL's best teams. Taveras was out with the flu and his replacement Darnell McDonald was shaky defensively in CF though he did have a hit and score our lone run. I like that the Reds did work Santana and got him to 99 pitches in 5 2/3 innings and Johan wanted no part of Encarnacion (who is 4-5 with 2 HRs off him). The bullpen did a good job except Herrera who looked like a ball boy out there.

161 to go. We should bounce back Wednesday with Volquez going; I think it was shrewd of Dusty to let Harang pitch Opening Day against Santana and hold our ace back - it showed confidence in Harang but also gave us a favorable match up for Game 2.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 01:00
    The Reds bounce back from a tough 9-7 loss yesterday to beat the Mets 8-6 and score their first win of the season. Joey Votto hits his second three run bomb in two days, this one off Oliver Perez who was the toughest southpaw in the NL against lefty batters last year. Joey's well on his way to establishing himself as the best lefty hitting 1B from Canada. The set up men - Rhodes and Weathers - looked terrific and Cordero pitched a perfect ninth. Our starters and middle relief has been a bit shaky so far, but they should round into shape starting this weekend vs the Pirates.

The biggest disappointment so far has been the miserable support of the fans. Only 13,000 showed for the second game of the season and a mere 17,000 on a beautiful day today. Get out there, whodey; the Reds are for real this year.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 03:041 edit
    The biggest disappointment so far has been the miserable support of the fans. Only 13,000 showed for the second game of the season and a mere 17,000 on a beautiful day today. Get out there, whodey; the Reds are for real this year.[/b]
    You can't just turn the fans on and off. For cry'in out loud, they have not had a winning season in over 8 years!! Winning breads fans and losing loses them. I guess what makes me the most ill is thinking of the Big Red Machine and all the fan support across the country it generated, then they just let it all go to pot over the years.

BTW: Already saw them in Florida this year. Perhaps I will make it to a game or two this season.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 03:051 edit
    [b]Second guessing after the game is bush. If you thought Dickerson should have started against Santana, you should have said so.
    That is why I aaying right here and right now, they need to play the kid EVERY single game the rest of the year!! I don't really care who's pitching. Does anyone really care who's pitching when Bruce and Votto go out there?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 12:52
    That is why I aaying right here and right now, they need to play the kid EVERY single game the rest of the year!! I don't really care who's pitching. Does anyone really care who's pitching when Bruce and Votto go out there?
    Hairston did hit .345 against lefties last year. That's way over his career stats but still you think those numbers deserve some playing time. Dickerson didn't do too badly against southpaws though in limited time; 6 for 21.

It's a tough call.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 19:10
    Hairston did hit .345 against lefties last year. That's way over his career stats but still you think those numbers deserve some playing time. Dickerson didn't do too badly against southpaws though in limited time; 6 for 21.

It's a tough call.
    They can put Hairston in center every now and again instead of taking Dickerson out of the line up.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 19:30
    They can put Hairston in center every now and again instead of taking Dickerson out of the line up.
    They paid a good amount of money to get Tavares to be their every day leadoff hitter. He stole 68 bases last year and they are counting on using speed this year to energize the offense. Hairston also isn't the CF Tavares is. I think they give up too much replacing Tavares with Hairston.

Tavares dropped a beautiful bunt down yesterday; I hope he's able to use that weapon a lot this year. They need him to get his OBP up.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 21:261 edit
    The Reds bounce back from a tough 9-7 loss yesterday to beat the Mets 8-6 and score their first win of the season. Joey Votto hits his second three run bomb in two days, this one off Oliver Perez who was the toughest southpaw in the NL against lefty batters last year. Joey's well on his way to establishing himself as the best lefty hitting 1B from Canada ...[text shortened]... a mere 17,000 on a beautiful day today. Get out there, whodey; the Reds are for real this year.
    It appears the fans know more than you do.

Have you bought your season tickets yet to support "your team"?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Apr '09 22:49
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    It appears the fans know more than you do.

Have you bought your season tickets yet to support "your team"?
    Fans who give up on their team before the season starts aren't fans. You never know in baseball; how many picked the Rays to win the Al East last year?

The Reds play 614 miles away from where I live, so season tickets are out of the question. Did pick up an official hat and ordered a jacket. A jaunt to Cincinnati to catch a game this year is a possibility.
  14. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 02:40
    A thread decicated to mediocity? I'm starting a thread devoted to success. Phillies repeat watch is on. Bad start this year, but way better than 8 years of nothing.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Apr '09 16:17
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    A thread decicated to mediocity? I'm starting a thread devoted to success. Phillies repeat watch is on. Bad start this year, but way better than 8 years of nothing.
    2 Championships in 126 years doesn't even rate as mediocrity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree