Rooney

Rooney

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Oct 10

Well, someone had to start it.

I have to say I was surprised with the degree of unprofessionalism that Rooney has shown. I also think Alex Ferguson's sadness was overplayed to harm Rooney's image. AF has been around long enough for not being so emotionally involved with a superstar. He may have looked disappointed, but he didn't pull any punches and his attitude only helped reinforce Rooney's guilt in this affair.

It would be amazing if he went to City. The drama would be tremendous.

E
YNWA

Moves
20 Oct 10

I'm not at all surprised by Rooney's lack of professionalism: he's not exactly from well-bred stock is he? If he went to City it'll show all he's interested in is money which, given he's got shed loads already, means he ultimately won't be any happier there, so I can't see this myself.

Regarding Fergie, I think he was genuinely exasperated by Rooney. Where does this leave Fergie? Yet another new Man U team to build when City and Chelsea have unlimited funds and Man U are crippled with debt: time to call it a day and retire?

Santiago

Moves
20 Oct 10

Players have switched between Untied and City before. Law and Tevez for starters.

It smacks of spoilt child syndrome. He's had a poor year, heavily criticised for his WC performance, so he lays the blame at the one place that adores him.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Oct 10

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
I'm not at all surprised by Rooney's lack of professionalism: he's not exactly from well-bred stock is he? If he went to City it'll show all he's interested in is money which, given he's got shed loads already, means he ultimately won't be any happier there, so I can't see this myself.

Regarding Fergie, I think he was genuinely exasperated by Rooney. ...[text shortened]... have unlimited funds and Man U are crippled with debt: time to call it a day and retire?
Whats the duchess know about football?

i

Moves
21 Oct 10

players have come, players have gone. Some players have learnt the hard way that no player is bigger than Manchester United, the team.

Rooney wants to leave - well goodbye then. but, here are my issues....

1, It seems that a lot of united fans are starting to blame the Glazer's for Rooney wanting to leave. This is rubbish. I am a proud owner of a green and gold scarf and want rid of the Glazers as much as anyone else, but this is not about the Glazers - its about Rooneys greed, possibly his naivety, possible his agents greed. United rarely have been a team that buys superstars - generally it buys youngsters and moulds them into stars...often they are youngsters that already have some talent (Rooney himself a good example of that) that needs nurturing, but rarely does Sir Alex buy a superstar - and when he does they generally don't do too well at united. So for Rooney to say we lack ambition because we haven't bought in decent players to replace Tevez and Ronaldo is rubbish

2, Rooney should not be allowed to go to any other Premier league club - at least none of those that are realistically fighting for the title this season. More than anything else - he should not be allowed to go to City.

AB

Moves
21 Oct 10

ManU fans need to stop deluding themselves. He's given his reason and ManU haven't countered it.

Rooney has seen what's happened (losing Ronaldo & Tevez and not replacing them) and what's coming (retirements of key players, possibly a manager and vastly reduced transfer funds) and he wants out. I don't blame him.

As much as I despise ManU, I think it's a sad state of affairs when leveraged buy outs can bring teams like them and Liverpool tumbling, whilst the super rich can turn decent clubs like Chelsea and Man City into world beaters almost overnight.

i

Moves
21 Oct 10

Originally posted by Angry Boy
, whilst the super rich can turn decent clubs like Chelsea and Man City into world beaters almost overnight.
whilst I agree that chelsea have had money put into their club - not sure I would say their current domination has been overnight.......

whereas it remains to be seen whether City have the staying power this season....

M
Bat Chain Puller

Gone

Moves
21 Oct 10
1 edit

What is actually taking place is Fergie's last and greatest masterstroke, carried out with the aid of a young and talented player who's love of the club is such that, for the short term at least, he's willing to debase himself and sacrifice the respect of the fans and the wider footballing world in order to rid United of the Glazers. Without being able to keep the best players and attract others, success on the pitch disappears, the price of the club dwindles and with it the Glazers potential profit - forcing them to sell whilst they can. So, with Ferguson pulling the strings, Rooney voluntarily assumes the mantle of the saviour Judas and brings about the promised lands of the Green and Gold.

Or not.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
22 Oct 10

Looks like it's all smoke and no fire. Apparently, he's just agreed a new 5 year deal to stay at Old Trafford.

AB

Moves
22 Oct 10

I wonder what they said to make him stay? I also wonder what clauses he's had put in that new contract?

I'd suggest there's at least a buy-out clause (possibly depending on Fergie staying? Net spend on players?)

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
22 Oct 10
3 edits

Reports say he's getting £180,000 a week. That's roughly £9.3M a year. Very far from the being the highest earning player in the world like it was claimed he wanted to be.

Still virtually double, though.

Santiago

Moves
22 Oct 10

Football is a joke. Underperforming player has a sulk, insults his team mates, fans call him a judas, gets a new deal on double bubble.

What's the betting same fans adore him next game.

We are all suckers.

It's the same trick Gerrard plays every couple of seasons.

In your face

Moves
22 Oct 10

Ripped off by a scouser. Who would have thought it eh!?

Moves
22 Oct 10

Unfortunately he will pay it all back in performance, I'm sure of that...and Sir Alex will back me up.

Santiago

Moves
22 Oct 10

In other news Portsmouth are very close to going to the wall.

That's what paying obscene wages will do to a club.

Funny that Rednapp hasn't commentated.