Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    03 Jun '09 17:50 / 1 edit
    Come on, this guy is Hall of Fame. 14 K's last night..another complete game...9-1 despite 2 blown wins by the bullpen (including halladay leaving with an 8-3 lead last week)


    Best pitcher in baseball right now? Him and Grienke tied?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Roy-Halladay-would-like-you-to-wait-before-votin?urn=mlb,167746
  2. 03 Jun '09 19:33
    Originally posted by uzless
    Come on, this guy is Hall of Fame. 14 K's last night..another complete game...9-1 despite 2 blown wins by the bullpen (including halladay leaving with an 8-3 lead last week)


    Best pitcher in baseball right now? Him and Grienke tied?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Roy-Halladay-would-like-you-to-wait-before-votin?urn=mlb,167746
    Roy Halladay is the best pitcher in the MLB period.
  3. 03 Jun '09 20:34
    Roy Halladay is an excellent pitcher and could pitch for anyone but
    (1) he probably still is not now and certainly has not been Johan Santana for his career
    (2) I imagine he will add to his totals, but 140 career wins with a 3.48 ERA is not even close to enough to get into the Hall of fame.
  4. 03 Jun '09 21:52 / 2 edits
    Halladay would not be in the HOF if his career ended after this season -- but if he pitches near his career average for another 6 yrs or so, he'll have 250+ wins along with a very good winning pct (while pitching for mostly mediocre teams) -- and he already has two 20-win seasons, and has a great chance to get another one this year. And a career ERA around 3.50 for an AL pitcher during the steroid era would be equivalent to someone under 3.00 during the 60's-70s - and it would be a lot lower if not for his ugly numbers in 2000.

    If he's able to pitch into his 40s, he might have a chance at 300 wins.

    And if he's able to maintain his current level of dominance for another couple of years beyond this one and can put up four 20-win seasons in row (unheard of in today's era) -- that also makes him a likely HOF.
  5. 03 Jun '09 23:00
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Roy Halladay is an excellent pitcher and could pitch for anyone but
    (1) he probably still is not now and certainly has not been Johan Santana for his career
    (2) I imagine he will add to his totals, but 140 career wins with a 3.48 ERA is not even close to enough to get into the Hall of fame.
    you want to compare Santana and DOC?
  6. Standard member PocketKings
    Banned from edits
    04 Jun '09 01:58
    Originally posted by uzless
    Come on, this guy is Hall of Fame. 14 K's last night..another complete game...9-1 despite 2 blown wins by the bullpen (including halladay leaving with an 8-3 lead last week)


    Best pitcher in baseball right now? Him and Grienke tied?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Roy-Halladay-would-like-you-to-wait-before-votin?urn=mlb,167746
    may very well be going to Thread 111172
  7. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    04 Jun '09 10:20
    Come on, what's with the myopic view to stats? He pitches in the toughest division in Baseball! If he pitched on the west coast or the same division as KC, he'd have way over 200 wins by now.

    You have to look at the opponents if you are going to go by stats. Just like in NCAA...you need to do some kind of RPI otherwise the teams that go 20-0 while playing nobodys will get into the tournament everytime, while the 16-4 teams that played tough opponents lose out.

    Same goes for pitchers. LOOK AT WHO THEY PITCHED AGAINST!.....anyone can have an era under 2.5 if most of your games are against KC, houston and washington.
  8. 04 Jun '09 12:48
    I like Halladay but you guys are just not acurate with statistics.
    He has 140 wins; to reach 250+ wins he needs 110 wins. To reach 250 wins in six years; he would have to be as good in his next six years as he has been in his last six years. He is already 32 (and already is a work horse so I don't think he'll get better or healthier). He needs ten more years as good as his last six to reach 300. That is projecting the rest of his career (after age 32) to be better than it was pre-age 32. Unless you think he is juicing, it just seems unlikely even for a guy as good as him.
  9. 04 Jun '09 14:26
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Roy Halladay is an excellent pitcher and could pitch for anyone but
    (1) he probably still is not now and certainly has not been Johan Santana for his career
    (2) I imagine he will add to his totals, but 140 career wins with a 3.48 ERA is not even close to enough to get into the Hall of fame.
    Doc and Santana are easily 1-2.

    Let's look at some key criteria and compare:

    Speed: Tie. Both fastballs can hit mid-90s
    Pitches: Santana's change-up, slider, fastball combo is devastating and Halladay's four-pitch combination (2-seam fast, cutter, curve, change-up) is equally as impressive although Doc's change-up is nowhere near as good as Santana's
    GB/FB Ratio: Halladay is the best GB pitcher in the Majors
    Stamina: Doc again by a mile.
    Clutch: I'd give this to Johan. As successful as Halladay is, he has the propensity to give up the big inning. Part of Halladay's success is not letting the big innings get him down.
    Character: Tie. Both are respectable family men active in their communities.
    Leadership: Can't speak for Johan, but Roy is the leader of the Jay's clubhouse and has been for a long time.
  10. 04 Jun '09 16:33
    I think there are better ways to compare pitchers:
    Halladay is 140-67 with a 3.48 career ERA. He led the league in wins once (and leads now). He won one CY Young award.
    Santana (who spent the bulk of his career in the AL) is 116-54 with a 3.07 career ERA. He also led the league in wins once (and also leads hsi league in wins). He has two Cy young awards and led the legue in ERA an astounding 4 times. Santana is also two years younger.
    I'd want both on my team but if you had to compare Santana has been better.
  11. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    04 Jun '09 17:21
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I think there are better ways to compare pitchers:
    Halladay is 140-67 with a 3.48 career ERA. He led the league in wins once (and leads now). He won one CY Young award.
    Santana (who spent the bulk of his career in the AL) is 116-54 with a 3.07 career ERA. He also led the league in wins once (and also leads hsi league in wins). He has two Cy young awa ...[text shortened]... two years younger.
    I'd want both on my team but if you had to compare Santana has been better.
    You are not counting who santana had to pitch against.

    While Halladay has had to pitch against the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL EAST, Santana played for Minnesota all those years pitching to lightweights like Kansas City, Detroit, Cleveland, and the White sox in the weak AL central.


    Now that he's playing for the Mets, he's pitching to sub .500 Washington, Florida and Atlanta.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    04 Jun '09 17:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    You are not counting who santana had to pitch against.

    While Halladay has had to pitch against the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL EAST, Santana played for Minnesota all those years pitching to lightweights like Kansas City, Detroit, Cleveland, and the White sox in the weak AL central.


    Now that he's playing for the Mets, he's pitching to sub .500 Washington, Florida and Atlanta.
    Halladay pitched as many games against the Orioles and Devil Rays as he did against the Yankees and Red Sox.

    In case you didn't know, the majority of any pitchers' games are out of division.
  13. 04 Jun '09 17:32
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    In case you didn't know, the majority of any pitchers' games are out of division.
    Halladay:

    267 Career Starts
    116 of those are against AL East rivals.

    That's 43%
  14. 04 Jun '09 17:33
    267 Career Starts
    42 Complete Games!

    That's 16%!
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    04 Jun '09 17:34
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Halladay:

    267 Career Starts
    116 of those are against AL East rivals.

    That's 43%
    Thanks, I was too lazy to look it up.