Roy Halladay

Roy Halladay

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by love4chess
who's going to have more wins this year
Answer: Halladay by a mile😲
I wouldn't bet the mortgage on that; Halladay has only 2 more wins right now and there's over 100 games to go. Lifetime, Halladay is 84-35 over the first three months of the season (.706 winning pct.) and 57-32 over the rest (.640 WP). Santana is 54-32 in the first three months (.629 WP) but an outstanding 63-22 the rest of the way (.741 WP).

l

Moves
10 Jun 09

Santana got 8 wins?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Jun 09

Santana got 8 wins?
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player?statsId=6441

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
11 Jun 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
I wouldn't bet the mortgage on that; Halladay has only 2 more wins right now and there's over 100 games to go. Lifetime, Halladay is 84-35 over the first three months of the season (.706 winning pct.) and 57-32 over the rest (.640 WP). Santana is 54-32 in the first three months (.629 WP) but an outstanding 63-22 the rest of the way (.741 WP).
Sanatana is pitching in a much easier division than Halladay is in the AL EAST. Santana SHOULD have more wins by years end.

Again, it all comes down to who you pitch AGAINST...not how many wins you have.

q

Moves
11 Jun 09

Originally posted by uzless
Sanatana is pitching in a much easier division than Halladay is in the AL EAST. Santana SHOULD have more wins by years end.

Wins comes down to a lot of things.
The Blue Jays have the baseball's highest team batting, have over 75% more home runs than the Mets and average almost half a run more per game than the Mets.

l

Moves
11 Jun 09

i wont be surprised if this thread goes over 100 posts

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
11 Jun 09

Originally posted by quackquack
Wins comes down to a lot of things.
The Blue Jays have the baseball's highest team batting, have over 75% more home runs than the Mets and average almost half a run more per game than the Mets.
Again, this ISN"T ABOUT WINS!!!!

Wasnt' that clear when i said it wasn't about WINS???

😕

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Jun 09
1 edit

Doesn't that "much easier division" contain the World Champions?

Also see Santana's record against the cream of the AL East.

Your argument that even if Santana constantly pitches better than Halladay, than Halladay is REALLY a better pitcher is pretty ridiculous.

M

Moves
11 Jun 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
Comparing a pitcher in the NL to one in the AL as regards IP per game is foolish. There's this thing called the DH in the AL whereas in the NL pitchers are often pulled for PHs because of the game situation.

Your stats are bogus; it's unsurprising that the bullpens get used more in the NL. When Halladay and Santana were both pitching in th ...[text shortened]... to oranges" approach doesn't wash; guess who led the NL in IPs and batters faced last year?
I understand the differences between the leagues -- that's why I focused on their "innings per 100 pitches", rather than "total innings per start"

also - since Santana moved to the NL, he's pitching to weaker NL lineups in a pitcher's park, which should be allowing him to pitch MORE efficiently than if he was still in the AL - but despite this, the difference between him and Halladay in this area has widened over the last couple of years.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Melanerpes
I understand the differences between the leagues -- that's why I focused on their "innings per 100 pitches", rather than "total innings per start"

also - since Santana moved to the NL, he's pitching to weaker NL lineups in a pitcher's park, which should be allowing him to pitch MORE efficiently than if he was still in the AL - but despite this, the difference between him and Halladay in this area has widened over the last couple of years.
It's been shown that the small statistical differences you have cited are meaningless over a season. The only reason Halladay pitches slightly more innings per start is manager preference. Santana's IPs per game stats have stayed pretty even though he switched leagues while Halladay's have went up a bit since old school Gaston was brought on. This proves ....................... what exactly?

What we do know is that over their respective careers, in the innings they have pitched, Santana has pitched better. This whole thread is an exercise in thinking up excuses for Halladay's somewhat inferior performance as compared to Santana. The wall is filled with things that have been thrown up, but none seem to have stuck.

EDIT: As to "weaker lineups", the AL teams averaged only .25 runs more per game last year and .34 so far this year even though the pitcher hits in the NL. That's a paltry difference.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
11 Jun 09

When Santana pitches against Boston and the Yankees, he dominates them. Halladay can't say that against the Red Sox.

The fact that Santana pitches better down the stretch while Halladay is better early in the season suggests that the former is a bit more valuable in a pennant race.

l

Moves
11 Jun 09

people think santana is good because he strike out a lot of people. but pitchers who strike 8+ batters a game(Santana) have no trust in their defense

q

Moves
12 Jun 09

people think santana is good because he strike out a lot of people. but pitchers who strike 8+ batters a game(Santana) have no trust in their defense
Now striking out people is bad?

l

Moves
12 Jun 09

did i say that? no!

q

Moves
12 Jun 09

did i say that? no!
Unless you were arguing that having no trust in your defense is a good thing, you did try to show that it is a negative that Santana strikes a lot of people out.