Rugby Season

Rugby Season

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
03 Aug 08

Originally posted by Crowley
Best post you've made in months!

I unfortunately didn't watch the game, but if the wallabies got penalised at the break-down, they at last got pinged for what they got away with against us.
LOL
Well maybe i'm joining you in asking for more consistent refereeing,be fair and even to both teams.

From the games so far ,the decisions seem to go with the home teams .Be interesting to see what eventuates in South Africa.

In no way am i saying that the refereeing cost the Wallabies the game,they were totaly outplayed.All i would like to see is an even contest with refs decisions.

Bring on the Saffies i say.

t

Moves
03 Aug 08

Originally posted by muppyman
Dear oh dear, I do hope this wont put too big a spoke in the wheel of Tirau Dan's crusade against Henry. 🙂
LOL!!

Yes, there must be something in the water in Tirau that brings out the pessimist in Dan. 🙂

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
03 Aug 08

Originally posted by muppyman
Dear oh dear, I do hope this wont put too big a spoke in the wheel of Tirau Dan's crusade against Henry. 🙂
I think maybe the wheel fell off. ;-)

Not the Tirau water either as we went up to Hamilton for the weekend and watched it in a rugby bar.

I don't think anyone would have predicted this result in a million years.. Henry will gloat BUT remember that he fully intended to play Mulialana at wing and MacDonald at Fullback it was injury that forced that plan out the window.. would have been a vastly different. Once again Mils was brilliant at fullback.. if they every consider shifting him again they want shooting.

I agree with the earlier post that the Aussies didn't turn up.. but the AB's with backs to the wall and facing certain disgrace were scared into action.. all they have to do is find some consistancy and play like that every time they turn out and the tide against Henry and the NZRU will turn.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
03 Aug 08

Originally posted by boarman
Well maybe i'm joining you in asking for more consistent refereeing,be fair and even to both teams.
Absolutely, but at the moment refs try to keep the game flowing while keeping a balance at breakdown.
This means one team gets pinged and the opposition doesn't for the same offense 5 minutes later. I hate these 50/50 calls at breakdowns and I believe we need sort it out ASAP.

I blame the IRB for sitting on their god damned hands. These ELVs have livened up the game a little and I like them, but the breakdowns are just a shambles now, because you don't give away penalties for slowing the ball down.
We need to decide to have an 'anything goes' attitude or zero tolerance, but these calls where even the commentators after a slow motion replay say it was 50/50 needs to be weeded out.

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
03 Aug 08

Absolutely, but at the moment refs try to keep the game flowing while keeping a balance at breakdown.
This means one team gets pinged and the opposition doesn't for the same offense 5 minutes later. I hate these 50/50 calls at breakdowns and I believe we need sort it out ASAP.

I blame the IRB for sitting on their god damned hands. These ELVs have livened ...[text shortened]... re even the commentators after a slow motion replay say it was 50/50 needs to be weeded out.
Best post you have made in months........

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
04 Aug 08

No complaints about refereeing on Saturday. Though notice how this ref didn't allow the aussies to collapse the scrum and stopped them breaking early. They were told once at the start about the collapse and that was that.. I think there were three calls for early breaks in the first 10 mins then no more. The ref was in the better position than the camera so I have no further comment.

McCaw was first to the break down everytime, grabbed the ball and was his feet and running before anyone else could touch him.. the only times he went down the aussies lay all over him.. he moaned and moaned but it was probably in ecstasy and McCaw was the only one smiling.

Rodney So'oialo isn't up to this level of play 6,7 & 8s need cunning speed and brawn. he has brawn but doesn't know how to use it. He certainly is no flanker.

After watching the replay again the unmentioned compbination of Cowan and Carter is the revelation. Finally we have an upstart brat half pint half back that can grubber kick the ball through as well as bomb, box kick, run and pass. He didn;t just blindly throw the ball to carter and wasn't afraid to kick the arssse of So'oialo a couple of time when he slowed down. Carter enjoyed playing outside him because it took alot of weight and heat off him... The aussies didn't expect Cowan.

So big pluses for the players.. McCaw uninjured.. got through.. played a blinder. new combo half back first five.. great .. Mulialana.. suberb again at full back..

All of these changes were as a result of necessity through injury.

The two areas of improvement that were not injury related were winning the lineouts.. Williams was dominant throughout.. the man was a beast in there.

and team attitude! The new found drive came from a raosting by Colin Meads mid week giving them a talk about all black pride in the jersey. The team had been getting a roasting it and meads stung pride into them.

Now we have South Africa on home soil.. will we see some consistancy?

I can't for the life of me see Williams dominating in the rough. Man if he plays hard and well he'll be my star. More key in this game will be Cowan and Carter..

If the ref plays guards the off side line I think this combo could do well against the boks.

I think it's going to be a close encounter of the forth kind. Very terrestrial!

You guys go firt this week with the predicts..

t

Moves
15 Aug 08

Originally posted by Tirau Dan
No complaints about refereeing on Saturday. Though notice how this ref didn't allow the aussies to collapse the scrum and stopped them breaking early. They were told once at the start about the collapse and that was that.. I think there were three calls for early breaks in the first 10 mins then no more. The ref was in the better position than the camera ...[text shortened]... f the forth kind. Very terrestrial!

You guys go firt this week with the predicts..
Either the Boks by 15-20 or the ABs by 10 or so ... hedging my bets, I know but:

If the ABs play as well as they did against Oz, then that'll nullify the 'very hard to beat the Boks at home' advantage ...

Otherwise, the heads will go down and ...

Either which way, I don't have Sky where I am this weekend so unless it's on delayed on free tv I'll be on RugbyPlanet or RugbyRebels and cursing dial up as I wait for updates on the game as it's being played!

Wish there were a site for rugby like Cricinfo for cricket ...

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
16 Aug 08

I've got ear plugs in!!!!

waiting for you

hee hee

yoo hoo Crowley:

Was Barnes paying back NZ? He really likes himself doesn't he.

NZ Herald today praising McCaw and Carter combo in 19-0 win over boks while saying:
Englishman Wayne Barnes, who controlled New Zealand's World Cup quarterfinal defeat to France last year, was one of the assistant referees and he twice came to the All Blacks' rescue.

Lambasted by New Zealand fans for failing to pick up a French forward pass in Cardiff, his call of a forward pass halted a Springbok attack early in the first half.

He then denied South Africa an equalising try late in the opening spell, when speedster Bryan Habana crossed after a mazy run only for Barnes to signal, correctly, that the winger had put a foot in touch.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
18 Aug 08
2 edits

yoo hoo Crowley
The refereeing is deteriorating to something beyond ridiculous these days.
You guys were wronged in the WC? Consider yourselves paid back with interest... It seemed like the two teams actually played with two different sets of rules.

Brad Thorn? Does he ever get pinged by referees when he does his wrestling training on the rugby field? Christ, this is the second time the guy needed to be carded in a game and gets away with it!

So, enjoy the hollow victory New Zealand and just know that on a day that the boks played the worst game I have seen them play in about 5 years, making more mistakes than my high school team and the ref allowing you guys to do whatever you want at breakdowns, you only managed to score 12 points against us...

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
18 Aug 08

The refereeing is deteriorating to something beyond ridiculous these days.
You guys were wronged in the WC? Consider yourselves paid back with interest... It seemed like the two teams actually played with two different sets of rules.

Brad Thorn? Does he ever get pinged by referees when he does his wrestling training on the rugby field? Christ, this is ...[text shortened]... ou guys to do whatever you want at breakdowns, you only managed to score 12 points against us...
for the records: the international press rated it as the best ab performance in many years and they backed Barnes on this occasion.. he was the touch judge. You know they usually cane refs but not in this game. Sometime teams fall apart under pressure. 19-0 is a pretty good score especially holding sa scoreless.
ppl are actually starting to come around to henry now. I'll take a while longer.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
19 Aug 08

for the records: the international press rated it as the best ab performance in many years and they backed Barnes on this occasion.. he was the touch judge. You know they usually cane refs but not in this game. Sometime teams fall apart under pressure. 19-0 is a pretty good score especially holding sa scoreless.
ppl are actually starting to come around to henry now. I'll take a while longer.
The ref had a crap game, blowing mostly in favour of the ABs at the breakdown. That apart, the Boks were rubbish and the ABs a bit better. Except for that man Richie McCaw, he counts for two players. He quite simply is the finest and most influential forward (and back!) I have seen in years.

I reckon he could walk on water if he wanted.

The Boks were clueless and plan-less. Who the eff tries a quick lineout five metres from the try line with no space and under pressure? Stoopid, stoopid play. They were lucky to get away with that one but couldn't score a point. Grr.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
19 Aug 08

Originally posted by buffalobill
The ref had a crap game, blowing mostly in favour of the ABs at the breakdown. That apart, the Boks were rubbish and the ABs a bit better. Except for that man Richie McCaw, he counts for two players. He quite simply is the finest and most influential forward (and back!) I have seen in years.

I reckon he could walk on water if he wanted.

The Boks w ...[text shortened]... oopid, stoopid play. They were lucky to get away with that one but couldn't score a point. Grr.
Do you think Graeme Henry is doing okay with the abs.. maybe I'm hold the wc grudge too long or it'shis arrogant air that gets up my nose.
It was Barnes at touch judge that pinged the sa's try..foot in touch and called a forward pass that saved the abs too. Maybe he was bought at the world cup but found religion and felt the need to pay back.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
20 Aug 08

Do you think Graeme Henry is doing okay with the abs.. maybe I'm hold the wc grudge too long or it'shis arrogant air that gets up my nose.
It was Barnes at touch judge that pinged the sa's try..foot in touch and called a forward pass that saved the abs too. Maybe he was bought at the world cup but found religion and felt the need to pay back.
No, the All Blacks of 4 or 5 seasons ago would've scored at least 50-0 in the conditions they were presented with on Saturday. Henry is not doing well.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
20 Aug 08

No, the All Blacks of 4 or 5 seasons ago would've scored at least 50-0 in the conditions they were presented with on Saturday. Henry is not doing well.
Thanks for that. My belief is that we have plenty of good players running without direction. I'm sure he'll come unstuck before the end of his two year contract. SA will bounce back, They just went to sleep last week.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
20 Aug 08

SA will bounce back, They just went to sleep last week.
Sure. It's just irritating that we have some injury problems, good players seemingly right off their game, a coach trying to install a new approach and week after week refereeing decisions making it impossible for us to play our game.
These things happen, but they are all happening at the same time, so it's very frustrating seeing a good team of players coming unstuck...