Rugby World Cup

Rugby World Cup

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Cavan, Ireland

Moves
02 Jun 07

Who do you think will win the world cup this year
-will New Zealand fail agaain
-will France's home support be a major factor
-what are Ireland's chances of an upset
-will England get out of the group stages

C
Moonchester

Blue Moon

Moves
03 Jun 07

Originally posted by John1916
Who do you think will win the world cup this year
-will New Zealand fail agaain
-will France's home support be a major factor
-what are Ireland's chances of an upset
-will England get out of the group stages
New Zealand should win it - BUT we've all said that a few times in the past. IMHO they are so far ahead this time, that I would be shocked if they lost.

Home support always a major factor - France probably the only team with any chance of beating the All Blacks..

Ireland have no chance of an upset, although theyire capable of doing well.

I hope England don't get out of the group stages (but as a Wales fan I'm slightly biased!!). They've no chance of retaining the crown though..

Can't wait for it all to start.....hoping for some great games ;-))

AB

Moves
03 Jun 07
1 edit

QF's should be

Wal v Eng
NZ v Ire
RSA v Aus
Fra v Ita

Semi's should be

Wal v NZ
RSA v Fra

That means it'll be NZ playing either a French side who decided to turn up in the semi or RSA in the final. Even if France turn it on to beat RSA they'll need to have a blinder to beat NZ. All said, NZ have a terrible habit of playing poorly at the RWC.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
03 Jun 07

Originally posted by Angry Boy
QF's should be

Wal v Eng
NZ v Ire
RSA v Aus
Fra v Ita

Semi's should be

Wal v NZ
RSA v Fra

That means it'll be NZ playing either a French side who decided to turn up in the semi or RSA in the final. Even if France turn it on to beat RSA they'll need to have a blinder to beat NZ. All said, NZ have a terrible habit of playing poorly at the RWC.
On form, South Africa, and rugby as a sport follows form more so than many others. There are surprise results, but overall, I think Angry Boy has it right here.

J

Cavan, Ireland

Moves
04 Jun 07

New Zealand are once again the obvious favourites like how many other times - why do they never live up to the expectation

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
05 Jun 07

South Africa are the form team at moment,Australia can not be written off just yet ,they seem to rise for the occasion .
The dark horse would have to be Argentina,they will make the Quarters.
France will not achieve .

m
That would be me

Behind the couch

Moves
05 Jun 07

Originally posted by Angry Boy
QF's should be

Wal v Eng
NZ v Ire
RSA v Aus
Fra v Ita

Semi's should be

Wal v NZ
RSA v Fra

Swap Ireland and France. I know they'll be at home but I really believe Ireland will win that group.

And swap Australia Wales too. Australia will walk that group.

QF:
Aus v Eng
NZ v Fra
RSA v Wales
Ire v Ita

SF:
Aus v NZ
RSA v Ire

Final
NZ either turn up and hammer Ireland or don't and lose by 1 score.

J

Cavan, Ireland

Moves
05 Jun 07

Originally posted by malinga
Swap Ireland and France. I know they'll be at home but I really believe Ireland will win that group.

And swap Australia Wales too. Australia will walk that group.

QF:
Aus v Eng
NZ v Fra
RSA v Wales
Ire v Ita

SF:
Aus v NZ
RSA v Ire

Final
NZ either turn up and hammer Ireland or don't and lose by 1 score.
That's looks just about right to me - except i don't think new zealand will show up against australia leaving us with a mouth waering final
Ireland v Australia
both these teams are capable of beating each other on their day but an ireland new zealand final will be very one sided if new zealand play to their potential

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
05 Jun 07

SA look very sharp
Never right off the Aussies
don't read anything into a single game seen in the two years or so because all international rugby is about now is trying out new players for the world cup.
We have no idea who the all blacks are any more.. could be anyone of about 30 players.

The French sending a c team over here was a farce and all because of the world cup..

It seems the only thing that matters now is the world cup and it is ruining the game.

The Tri series is just a trial...ho hum.
If NZ doesn't win Henry will be buried and a new guy will start the trials all over again.

J

Cavan, Ireland

Moves
05 Jun 07

Originally posted by Tirau Dan
SA look very sharp
Never right off the Aussies
don't read anything into a single game seen in the two years or so because all international rugby is about now is trying out new players for the world cup.
We have no idea who the all blacks are any more.. could be anyone of about 30 players.

The French sending a c team over here was a farce and all ...[text shortened]... m.
If NZ doesn't win Henry will be buried and a new guy will start the trials all over again.
that's surely a different aspect
in ireland the six nations is the most important thing to us not that we don't want and think we can win the world cup and i get the impression that the other european teams think the same
however i don't get where you're coming from - why do the new zealand tteam spend so much time and effort preparing - because it's the most important thing to them because it proves they are the best
i know very few people who watch or have any intrest in the tri-nations
i don't know whoes won it in the last few years

could someone enlighten me

l
Kara Thrace &

her special destiny

Moves
06 Jun 07

in ireland the six nations is the most important thing to us not that we don't want and think we can win the world cup and i get the impression that the other european teams think the same
however i don't get where you're coming from - why do the new zealand tteam spend so much time and effort preparing - because it's the ...[text shortened]... i-nations

You would have to instill the All Blacks as favourites. Damn Kiwi's must have an IVF program going breeding rugby players.
Next would have to be the South Africans. Always a hard team.
Australia wont do well in the cup as their team is lacking in the forwards and the halves.
England and France are in with a shot too.
Irerland just lost to Argentina, so lots of work to do for them.
Should be some great games coming up.

member 001

Planet Oz

Moves
06 Jun 07

Originally posted by lordhighgus
You would have to instill the All Blacks as favourites. Damn Kiwi's must have an IVF program going breeding rugby players.
Australia wont do well in the cup as their team is lacking in the forwards and the halves.
How can you say Australia is lacking in the halves ,Gregan and Larkham.Maybe they are aging but by no means have they lost too much,They will be the most experienced combination at the world cup,and it being their last appearances for Australia ,they will rise to the occasion.
The Aussie forwards hammered the Welsh in the last test ,and when Gregan was introduced the team had so much more direction.

m
That would be me

Behind the couch

Moves
06 Jun 07

Originally posted by lordhighgus
All Blacks are favourites. As usual, but they've only won it once.

England are not in with a shout. They need a new team.

Ireland lost to Argentina with just 2 players who could realistically expect to fit into our strongest team playing. We owe France 1 for robbing 6 nations from us so I think we'll beat them. If we do beat them we'll make sure to beat Argentina too to win that group and avoid NZ in QF.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
06 Jun 07

however i don't get where you're coming from - why do the new zealand tteam spend so much time and effort preparing - because it's the ...[text shortened]... i-nations

It used to be that every time you saw a test between two top rugby nations that you knew it would be a true test. The best 15 on the paddock putting their necks on the line for their country's honour. It isn't that way any more.

Can you imagine the England Football coach having the power to recruit a squad of 30-40 players from the clubs and control which games they play in etc with the ultimate aim of getting a top team to the world cup final. It would ruin the premiership completely.. That has happened to the super 14 here and the tri series is now seen as just another set of trials.

I guess it's because NZ needs to win the world cup more than anyone.

m
That would be me

Behind the couch

Moves
06 Jun 07

Originally posted by Tirau Dan
It used to be that every time you saw a test between two top rugby nations that you knew it would be a true test. The best 15 on the paddock putting their necks on the line for their country's honour. It isn't that way any more.

Can you imagine the England Football coach having the power to recruit a squad of 30-40 players from the clubs and control wh ...[text shortened]... nother set of trials.

I guess it's because NZ needs to win the world cup more than anyone.
that's why they'll probably win it.

still though it's daft arranginf tests between countries who will probably meet in world cup. france could meet NZ in QFs - no wonder they didn't want to put their best on line - look at spear on o'driscoll for a good reason why

ireland only have about 18 quality players. we have feck all cover. we don't want any injuries - no wonder we sent out b team to play argentina who are in our group!