1. Cavan, Ireland
    Joined
    30 Apr '07
    Moves
    3516
    02 Jun '07 20:31
    Who do you think will win the world cup this year
    -will New Zealand fail agaain
    -will France's home support be a major factor
    -what are Ireland's chances of an upset
    -will England get out of the group stages
  2. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Joined
    07 Dec '06
    Moves
    18440
    03 Jun '07 09:36
    Originally posted by John1916
    Who do you think will win the world cup this year
    -will New Zealand fail agaain
    -will France's home support be a major factor
    -what are Ireland's chances of an upset
    -will England get out of the group stages
    New Zealand should win it - BUT we've all said that a few times in the past. IMHO they are so far ahead this time, that I would be shocked if they lost.

    Home support always a major factor - France probably the only team with any chance of beating the All Blacks..

    Ireland have no chance of an upset, although theyire capable of doing well.

    I hope England don't get out of the group stages (but as a Wales fan I'm slightly biased!!). They've no chance of retaining the crown though..

    Can't wait for it all to start.....hoping for some great games ;-))
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    63966
    03 Jun '07 09:501 edit
    QF's should be

    Wal v Eng
    NZ v Ire
    RSA v Aus
    Fra v Ita


    Semi's should be

    Wal v NZ
    RSA v Fra

    That means it'll be NZ playing either a French side who decided to turn up in the semi or RSA in the final. Even if France turn it on to beat RSA they'll need to have a blinder to beat NZ. All said, NZ have a terrible habit of playing poorly at the RWC.
  4. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Joined
    06 Jan '05
    Moves
    12225
    03 Jun '07 12:21
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    QF's should be

    Wal v Eng
    NZ v Ire
    RSA v Aus
    Fra v Ita


    Semi's should be

    Wal v NZ
    RSA v Fra

    That means it'll be NZ playing either a French side who decided to turn up in the semi or RSA in the final. Even if France turn it on to beat RSA they'll need to have a blinder to beat NZ. All said, NZ have a terrible habit of playing poorly at the RWC.
    On form, South Africa, and rugby as a sport follows form more so than many others. There are surprise results, but overall, I think Angry Boy has it right here.
  5. Cavan, Ireland
    Joined
    30 Apr '07
    Moves
    3516
    04 Jun '07 21:08
    New Zealand are once again the obvious favourites like how many other times - why do they never live up to the expectation
  6. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Joined
    28 May '06
    Moves
    94734
    05 Jun '07 12:26
    South Africa are the form team at moment,Australia can not be written off just yet ,they seem to rise for the occasion .
    The dark horse would have to be Argentina,they will make the Quarters.
    France will not achieve .
  7. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Joined
    07 Oct '04
    Moves
    51169
    05 Jun '07 14:59
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    QF's should be

    Wal v Eng
    NZ v Ire
    RSA v Aus
    Fra v Ita


    Semi's should be

    Wal v NZ
    RSA v Fra

    That means it'll be NZ playing either a French side who decided to turn up in the semi or RSA in the final. Even if France turn it on to beat RSA they'll need to have a blinder to beat NZ. All said, NZ have a terrible habit of playing poorly at the RWC.
    Swap Ireland and France. I know they'll be at home but I really believe Ireland will win that group.

    And swap Australia Wales too. Australia will walk that group.

    QF:
    Aus v Eng
    NZ v Fra
    RSA v Wales
    Ire v Ita

    SF:
    Aus v NZ
    RSA v Ire

    Final
    NZ either turn up and hammer Ireland or don't and lose by 1 score.
  8. Cavan, Ireland
    Joined
    30 Apr '07
    Moves
    3516
    05 Jun '07 15:32
    Originally posted by malinga
    Swap Ireland and France. I know they'll be at home but I really believe Ireland will win that group.

    And swap Australia Wales too. Australia will walk that group.

    QF:
    Aus v Eng
    NZ v Fra
    RSA v Wales
    Ire v Ita

    SF:
    Aus v NZ
    RSA v Ire

    Final
    NZ either turn up and hammer Ireland or don't and lose by 1 score.
    That's looks just about right to me - except i don't think new zealand will show up against australia leaving us with a mouth waering final
    Ireland v Australia
    both these teams are capable of beating each other on their day but an ireland new zealand final will be very one sided if new zealand play to their potential
  9. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Joined
    09 Jan '05
    Moves
    24454
    05 Jun '07 20:55
    SA look very sharp
    Never right off the Aussies
    don't read anything into a single game seen in the two years or so because all international rugby is about now is trying out new players for the world cup.
    We have no idea who the all blacks are any more.. could be anyone of about 30 players.

    The French sending a c team over here was a farce and all because of the world cup..

    It seems the only thing that matters now is the world cup and it is ruining the game.

    The Tri series is just a trial...ho hum.
    If NZ doesn't win Henry will be buried and a new guy will start the trials all over again.
  10. Cavan, Ireland
    Joined
    30 Apr '07
    Moves
    3516
    05 Jun '07 21:27
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    SA look very sharp
    Never right off the Aussies
    don't read anything into a single game seen in the two years or so because all international rugby is about now is trying out new players for the world cup.
    We have no idea who the all blacks are any more.. could be anyone of about 30 players.

    The French sending a c team over here was a farce and all ...[text shortened]... m.
    If NZ doesn't win Henry will be buried and a new guy will start the trials all over again.
    that's surely a different aspect
    in ireland the six nations is the most important thing to us not that we don't want and think we can win the world cup and i get the impression that the other european teams think the same
    however i don't get where you're coming from - why do the new zealand tteam spend so much time and effort preparing - because it's the most important thing to them because it proves they are the best
    i know very few people who watch or have any intrest in the tri-nations
    i don't know whoes won it in the last few years

    could someone enlighten me
  11. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Joined
    24 Apr '06
    Moves
    20456
    06 Jun '07 06:58
    Originally posted by John1916
    that's surely a different aspect
    in ireland the six nations is the most important thing to us not that we don't want and think we can win the world cup and i get the impression that the other european teams think the same
    however i don't get where you're coming from - why do the new zealand tteam spend so much time and effort preparing - because it's the ...[text shortened]... i-nations
    i don't know whoes won it in the last few years

    could someone enlighten me
    You would have to instill the All Blacks as favourites. Damn Kiwi's must have an IVF program going breeding rugby players.
    Next would have to be the South Africans. Always a hard team.
    Australia wont do well in the cup as their team is lacking in the forwards and the halves.
    England and France are in with a shot too.
    Irerland just lost to Argentina, so lots of work to do for them.
    Should be some great games coming up.
  12. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Joined
    28 May '06
    Moves
    94734
    06 Jun '07 07:13
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    You would have to instill the All Blacks as favourites. Damn Kiwi's must have an IVF program going breeding rugby players.
    Next would have to be the South Africans. Always a hard team.
    Australia wont do well in the cup as their team is lacking in the forwards and the halves.
    England and France are in with a shot too.
    Irerland just lost to Argentina, so lots of work to do for them.
    Should be some great games coming up.
    How can you say Australia is lacking in the halves ,Gregan and Larkham.Maybe they are aging but by no means have they lost too much,They will be the most experienced combination at the world cup,and it being their last appearances for Australia ,they will rise to the occasion.
    The Aussie forwards hammered the Welsh in the last test ,and when Gregan was introduced the team had so much more direction.
  13. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Joined
    07 Oct '04
    Moves
    51169
    06 Jun '07 11:56
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    You would have to instill the All Blacks as favourites. Damn Kiwi's must have an IVF program going breeding rugby players.
    Next would have to be the South Africans. Always a hard team.
    Australia wont do well in the cup as their team is lacking in the forwards and the halves.
    England and France are in with a shot too.
    Irerland just lost to Argentina, so lots of work to do for them.
    Should be some great games coming up.
    All Blacks are favourites. As usual, but they've only won it once.

    England are not in with a shout. They need a new team.

    Ireland lost to Argentina with just 2 players who could realistically expect to fit into our strongest team playing. We owe France 1 for robbing 6 nations from us so I think we'll beat them. If we do beat them we'll make sure to beat Argentina too to win that group and avoid NZ in QF.
  14. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Joined
    09 Jan '05
    Moves
    24454
    06 Jun '07 20:45
    Originally posted by John1916
    that's surely a different aspect
    in ireland the six nations is the most important thing to us not that we don't want and think we can win the world cup and i get the impression that the other european teams think the same
    however i don't get where you're coming from - why do the new zealand tteam spend so much time and effort preparing - because it's the ...[text shortened]... i-nations
    i don't know whoes won it in the last few years

    could someone enlighten me
    It used to be that every time you saw a test between two top rugby nations that you knew it would be a true test. The best 15 on the paddock putting their necks on the line for their country's honour. It isn't that way any more.

    Can you imagine the England Football coach having the power to recruit a squad of 30-40 players from the clubs and control which games they play in etc with the ultimate aim of getting a top team to the world cup final. It would ruin the premiership completely.. That has happened to the super 14 here and the tri series is now seen as just another set of trials.

    I guess it's because NZ needs to win the world cup more than anyone.
  15. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Joined
    07 Oct '04
    Moves
    51169
    06 Jun '07 21:45
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    It used to be that every time you saw a test between two top rugby nations that you knew it would be a true test. The best 15 on the paddock putting their necks on the line for their country's honour. It isn't that way any more.

    Can you imagine the England Football coach having the power to recruit a squad of 30-40 players from the clubs and control wh ...[text shortened]... nother set of trials.

    I guess it's because NZ needs to win the world cup more than anyone.
    that's why they'll probably win it.

    still though it's daft arranginf tests between countries who will probably meet in world cup. france could meet NZ in QFs - no wonder they didn't want to put their best on line - look at spear on o'driscoll for a good reason why

    ireland only have about 18 quality players. we have feck all cover. we don't want any injuries - no wonder we sent out b team to play argentina who are in our group!
Back to Top