So much for the

So much for the "BIG 10!"

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
02 Sep 07

Mighty Michigan fell to tiny Appalachian State, a school the size of most High Schools, today. Why do the pollsters keep giving Big 10 schools such lofty rankings?

L

Moves
02 Sep 07

Originally posted by SmookieP
Mighty Michigan fell to tiny Appalachian State, a school the size of most High Schools, today. Why do the pollsters keep giving Big 10 schools such lofty rankings?
The bagers are going to be good this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🙂

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
02 Sep 07

Originally posted by LivingForJesus
The bagers are going to be good this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🙂
Grocery Baggers? I hear the baggers at Kroger's are the best.

Or do you mean Bagels? I find them chewy, but Einstein's tears them up!

R
The Rams

Moves
02 Sep 07

Rather simple. Everyone has a mindset of OSU being a good, high team. But ~ they're not! Quite a concept. Could take few decades for OSU fans to realize it.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
02 Sep 07

Appalachain State had won 15 straight coming into that game and had won two Div II championships of late. they probably should be in the top 30 in Div I. Gotta give them their props.

s
Death from Above

El Paso, TX

Moves
02 Sep 07

Because they play such powerhouses like Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue to get their winning seasons. They come down and play in the SEC and get their asses kicked.

l

Moves
02 Sep 07

You can't judge a conference by 1 game. Look what USC did at Arkansas last year (50-14 if i remember correctly) and no says therefore the whole conference stinks and every win they ever have is garbage.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
03 Sep 07

Originally posted by leepound
You can't judge a conference by 1 game. Look what USC did at Arkansas last year (50-14 if i remember correctly) and no says therefore the whole conference stinks and every win they ever have is garbage.
I wasn't speaking of the PAC 10, which I really couldn't care less about, but my point was that the 2 supposedly strongest teams in the BIG 10 last year (both ranked 1 and 2 for most of the season) were Ohio State, and Michigan, who incidentally got spanked in their respective bowls. The polls were obviously very wrong.

Ok, App state is a good team, great for their size, but do you really think Michigan is the 5th best team in the Country? WOW.

By overrating the BIG 10, once again the polls are showing disrespect for other teams.

w

Moves
03 Sep 07

Who cares as long as that team up north looses!!! LOL.

BTW: I just saw a poll taken that listed the greatest upsets in the history of sports. The US win over the USSR in Lake Placid barely beat out the upset over that team up north!! Way to go coach Carr for making sports history!!

w

Moves
03 Sep 07
4 edits

Originally posted by Ramned
Rather simple. Everyone has a mindset of OSU being a good, high team. But ~ they're not! Quite a concept. Could take few decades for OSU fans to realize it.
So what of the OSU championship win over Miami in 2003? Or was that too long ago for you to remember?

I will admitt that by in large the best college players go south for the winter. So would you if you had the talent. I mean, if you were one of the best players in the US and you had your drothers would you want to go to Florida, California, or Ohio or Michigan? Come on, it has little to do with the conference and more to do with location. Its location, location and location. The best players want the best perks. That translates into sun 24/7 and girls, girls, and more girls!!

I think the only way to combat this discrepency is for the Big Ten to focus on being more physical than conferences like the SEC. This is because all the speed goes south as I have said before. Even when OSU faced Miami in the championship game and won no one on the face of the planet gave OSU a chance before the game. Why you may ask? They kept on saying that OSU was not fast enough. Granted, they were right for the most part. However, speed does you very little good if you can't walk. I mean, OSU broke one of the running backs legs for Miami and the QB got hammered so hard the entire game he spent most of his time puking on the side lines. Therefore, the only hope teams like OSU have for competing with your Florida's and USC's is to focus on "D" and when I say "D" I mean "D" bordering on brutality. What teams like OSU need today are linebackers that would scare AJ Hawk!!

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
03 Sep 07

Because Big Ten teams have better promo videos. Here is Appalachian State's promo video:

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
03 Sep 07

Originally posted by whodey
So what of the OSU championship win over Miami in 2003? Or was that too long ago for you to remember?

I will admitt that by in large the best college players go south for the winter. So would you if you had the talent. I mean, if you were one of the best players in the US and you had your drothers would you want to go to Florida, California, or Ohio or ...[text shortened]... n brutality. What teams like OSU need today are linebackers that would scare AJ Hawk!!
It has been highly well known that the biggest scouting areas for college prospects are in the south, Georgia, and Texas, California and especially Florida. So you have it backwards my friend. Most college prospects don't go to the South. They come from the South. These state's colleges are consistently good because most people stay local so they don't pay out of state tuition, and of course the home-pride factor.

As for the OSU win over UM in 2003, UM has been in a slide since the late 90's, and still does pretty well for such a small school (roughly 6,000 students compared to the Big 10 schools with 40,000 and 50,000).

l

Moves
03 Sep 07

again you guys only remember what you want to remember. Ohio state blew out the then #2 team in the nation (at texas). Michigan and Ohio State did not play well this year in bowl game although Wisconsin (which should have been a BCS team) won against one of your beloved southern schools. Furthermore, poll understand something you don't the difficulty of playing on the road and bowl games are road games for big ten teams. For the SEC as good as it is play (1) an out of conference game against anyone (2) play a bowl game on the road (3) stop saying you don't get enough respect in the polls.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
04 Sep 07

Originally posted by leepound
again you guys only remember what you want to remember. Ohio state blew out the then #2 team in the nation (at texas). Michigan and Ohio State did not play well this year in bowl game although Wisconsin (which should have been a BCS team) won against one of your beloved southern schools. Furthermore, poll understand something you don't the difficulty of ...[text shortened]... ne (2) play a bowl game on the road (3) stop saying you don't get enough respect in the polls.
ummm Wisconsin, ok. ummm uhh.. we don't get respect. um ok.

What did he say?

L

Moves
04 Sep 07

ummm Wisconsin, ok. ummm uhh.. we don't get respect. um ok.

What did he say?
you watch Wisconsin will win the Big Ten this year!!!!!!!!!!