1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 00:23
    Originally posted by blade68
    I saw it, the tackle was nothing, I didn't think it even deserved a yellow.

I find Wenger's comments after the match distateful.
    For someone that habitually 'doesn't see incidents' from the dugout it's amazing that he managed to see this incident!
    "He shouldn't be allowed on a football pitch ever again" - is a ridiculous comment.
    You should receive a lifetime ban. You have no idea what you're talking about, stop embarrassing yourself. If you don't fancy Arsenal, that's fine. But to say it didn't even deserve a caution - you embarrass yourself with your complete lack of knowledge of the game. Be gone now. Be gone and never speak here again, lest we forget the utter stupidity of what you've said.
  2. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 00:24
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Funny that he accuses other teams of violence and thuggery while his team have the record for red cards.

D
    Please repair to our other speaking room.
  3. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 00:52
    I was able to see a video of the tackle before it got pulled down off of YouTube. I've refereed over a thousand matches, including thirty-five at the professional level in the United States. I can say without hesitation that it was the worst thing I've ever seen on a soccer pitch.

I can't say what kind of player the Birmingham captain is. I've never served on a disciplinary committee, so I can't talk about what aggravating circumstances may exist. I can say, however, that Eduardo's injury - if you haven't seen it, trust me - it's horrific - is the worst fear of every referee, manager, and of course every player brought to life.

In the American professional leagues, we were instructed that any time a player initiated a tackle with their studs up, over the ball, they were guilty of serious foul play and subject to dismissal from the match. We were to send them off even if they missed - the mere attempt warranted ejection.

Taylor's tackle was the most successful, in what he must have been trying to do, of its kind - I daresay in the history of the sport. The '74 World Cup, where the German goalkeeper managed to kick a Dutch attacker in the chest, causing him to miss nine months of competition - that was bad. But this was worse. Every player knows you don't come over the ball. Eduardo's leg was demonstrated to be the reason why you don't come over the ball. That kind of behavior can poison an entire match. It probably ended Eduardo's career and Arsenal's championship hopes this year.

The bottom line is you never, ever come over the ball. If I were the referee in the match I'd have sent him off. I'm not qualified to say what his discipline should be, but I would not be surprised if he received a ban from all competition for one year. Everything I've read about Martin Taylor has said he's not a dirty player. However, in this case, the consequences to de la Silva were so severe that the FA competition committee hardly have a choice. Whether or not he's a dirty player, it was a horrible foul, and one which would only normally be perpetrated by a hooligan, and as an act of revenge.

The message must be sent. I think it will be. Taylor came over the ball, with his studs exposed. He caused a potentially life-threatening open fracture which will require multiple surgeries and months of rehabilitation. His leg will never really be right again. He probably cost one of the best players in the world his career. I think, when all of this is weighed, Taylor will be in for a very long suspension.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 06:09
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    However, in this case, the consequences to de la Silva were so severe that the FA competition committee hardly have a choice. Whether or not he's a dirty player, it was a horrible foul, and one which would only normally be perpetrated by a hooligan, and as an act of revenge.

I think, when all of this is weighed, Taylor will be in for a very long suspension.
    I've seen at least 20 more malicious tackles this season.

The unfortunate outcome doesn't necessarily mean that it was the worst tackle ever. I'd be surprised if he gets more than the normal 3 match ban, although if there is enough outcry from emos like yourself, he might get up to 6.

D
  5. 6yd box
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 09:01
    I've seen at least 20 more malicious tackles this season.

The unfortunate outcome doesn't necessarily mean that it was the worst tackle ever. I'd be surprised if he gets more than the normal 3 match ban, although if there is enough outcry from emos like yourself, he might get up to 6.

D
    I have to agree with Rag here... there have been far more worse tackles this season then the one we are debating.

Thankfull none of them resulted in the type of injury sustained by the young Arsenal Player.
  6. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 10:26
    The '74 World Cup, where the German goalkeeper managed to kick a Dutch attacker in the chest, causing him to miss nine months of competition - that was bad.
    I don't remember that. Are you sure you're not talking about Schumacher on Battiston in 1982?
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 10:33
    I was able to see a video of the tackle before it got pulled down off of YouTube. I've refereed over a thousand matches, including thirty-five at the professional level in the United States. I can say without hesitation that it was the worst thing I've ever seen on a soccer pitch.

I can't say what kind of player the Birmingham captain is. I've n ...[text shortened]... , when all of this is weighed, Taylor will be in for a very long suspension.
    That's about as much of an overreaction as Wenger's initial comments. It was a bad tackle, but not malicious - I've seen numerous tacles this season which were worse (in terms of intent).

Terrible injury, I hope Eduardo recovers fully and can continue his career. Good luck to him.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 10:54
    I've refereed over a thousand matches, including thirty-five at the professional level in the United States. I can say without hesitation that it was the worst thing I've ever seen on a soccer pitch.
    Take it to the Hyperbole Forum, spanky.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 11:081 edit
    Take it to the Emo Forum, McClusky
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 11:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 11:19
    You should receive a lifetime ban. You have no idea what you're talking about, stop embarrassing yourself. If you don't fancy Arsenal, that's fine. But to say it didn't even deserve a caution - you embarrass yourself with your complete lack of knowledge of the game. Be gone now. Be gone and never speak here again, lest we forget the utter stupidity of what you've said.
    The fact that you've refereed 35 pro games in the USA probably equates to half a dozen Sunday league fixtures over here... Mr Know All.

... and for probably the first time ever, I have to agree with Ragnorak - Eduardo was just too quick for Taylor, there was no malice, it was simply mistimed - a 3 match ban will suffice.

I suggest you stick to watching sports that require helmets and plenty of padding mate.

😛
  12. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 11:28
    Originally posted by blade68
    I suggest you stick to watching sports that require helmets and plenty of padding mate.
    the same can happen there:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1i_bJv_0z-k
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 12:01
    It probably ended Eduardo's career and Arsenal's championship hopes this year.
    If Arsenal can't handle the loss of 1 player for 11 games, then sorry, but they don't deserve to be Champions.

D
  14. 6yd box
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 14:06
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Take it to the Hyperbole Forum, spanky.
    LOL!!!
  15. Joined
    13 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '08 15:40
    If Arsenal can't handle the loss of 1 player for 11 games, then sorry, but they don't deserve to be Champions.

D
    RVP will be back soon, Arsenal have enough strikers to choose from.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree